Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theodore Leonardo

Reaction score
Over the past week my 3 year old, neutered buck has suddenly started trying to hump me - just like he did before he was castrated. He tries to mount my arm (or leg), and when I stop him he throws a strop and starts stomping around. It's completely out of character for him, and even more so considering he has been neutered and it's not a hormonal thing.

I read somewhere it can be a cry for help so I took him to the vets, but they said he seems in good health and it must be a behavioural thing. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar or may know why he's suddenly acting this way? It makes it hard for me to spend time with him because I never know when he's going to flip and start mounting me - he can be aggressive in his efforts!

Spring fever can sometimes do this to them, even neutered/spayed rabbits. It seems to be an instinctual thing when spring arrives. Humping, digging, and nesting behaviors can show up unexpectedly but usually subside in a few weeks time. If it doesn't and it continues to be a problem, adrenal problems can be a cause for unexpected hormonal behavior in neutered/spayed rabbits. It's unusual but I have read of cases where it's occurred.
https://rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexhormones.html

Spring fever can sometimes do this to them, even neutered/spayed rabbits. It seems to be an instinctual thing when spring arrives. Humping, digging, and nesting behaviors can show up unexpectedly but usually subside in a few weeks time. If it doesn't and it continues to be a problem, adrenal problems can be a cause for unexpected hormonal behavior in neutered/spayed rabbits. It's unusual but I have read of cases where it's occurred.
https://rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexhormones.html

Thank you so much for your response. As Theo is continuing to eat and drink and shows no other signs of illness or pain, I'm going to blame Spring Fever for now and just keep an eye on him. If the behaviour persists, at least now I'm aware of adrenal hyperplasia and can discuss that with my vet if necessary. Thank you for that information, it's a massive help!

Latest posts

Back