I got a rabbit today!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becc_boland

Reaction score
I got my female rabbit today! She's gorgeous!She's a dwarf cross hymalain (i cant spell it!) I havent named her yetif anyone has any idea can you tell me? She's white with grey ears andpink eyes, i cant put a pic on her coz my computer is running reallyslow ill try again 2morow or laterOh yeah she's 4 months oldand her last owners treated her like dirt so she isnt very fat shesskinny as but im feeding her up!

Becc

I couldn't seethe picture on your otherpost but she sounds a sweetie. You probably know this but make sure ifshe's been badly fed that you build her feed up slowly because too muchtoo soon is as bad as none at all.

Best of luck with her and congratulations :D.

Kate

Hi Becc, We have a Himalayan, she is white body, pink eyes, grey earsand feet and grey patch on her nose which has darkened along with herears:)

We have found Bindy to be a very happy loving bunny, she is nearly 4 months old now :)

Himalayans tend to be more cylindrical so they don't get the "chubby fluffy look" that other bunnies do.

They get to about 4.5 pounds fully grown, so they are a small breed,but watch 'em run and they are fast little buggers when they want to beLOL Like all bunnies I guess.

Here are a couple of links if you want to look at

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Breed_Profiles/rabbits/himalayan.htm

http://ahra.homestead.com/

Have fun :D

Brandy wrote:
you're going to breed a mix breed rabbit???

:? That's what I was thinking... I knew you were planning to breed, butI thought it would be purebreds. Do you know her history, background,lineage, etc? What breed will the male be?

Weren't you going to breed for 4-H? I don't knowabout your 4-H, but the one I attend does not allow the breeding ofanything mixed unless it's for meat purposes. All the rabbits thatparticipate in 4-H are shown in the fair, and they must be purebred.

Plus, mixed breeds are EXTREMLEY hard to find homes for. I wouldsuggest not breeding them. If you were breeding purebreds it would be acompleltey different story.

~Nichole

SLRabbits wrote:
Weren't you going to breed for 4-H? I don't know about your4-H, but the one I attend does not allow the breeding of anything mixedunless it's for meat purposes. All the rabbits that participate in 4-Hare shown in the fair, and they must be purebred.

Plus, mixed breeds are EXTREMLEY hard to find homes for. I wouldsuggest not breeding them. If you were breeding purebreds it would be acompleltey different story.

~Nichole
I think she was breeding for a class at school.
My 4-H is just like yours. They only allow purebred rabbits at ourshows and county fairs. However, you don't have to prove it, just likeat ARBA shows. You wouldput your rabbit in breed that mostresemblesthe rabbit.My county 4-H don't promoteshowing or breeding of mix breeds by not offering a class for them. ;)

Our local fair does have a mixed breed or petrabbit class. I showed my rescue doe there, and she did quite well--andI had fun!

I think it's a good idea to give kids with just pets a chance to showthem off like the purebreds, but I'd recommend breeding purebreds.

Although pet stores do a roaring trade in mixed-breed babies (alllabeled as "Netherland Dwarfs" even if their loppy little ears aredragging on the ground....hehe)

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
Our local fair does have a mixed breed or pet rabbit class.I showed my rescue doe there, and she did quite well--and I had fun!

I think it's a good idea to give kids with just pets a chance to showthem off like the purebreds, but I'd recommend breeding purebreds.

Although pet stores do a roaring trade in mixed-breed babies (alllabeled as "Netherland Dwarfs" even if their loppy little ears aredragging on the ground....hehe)

Rose
Exactly! I just sold a rabbit to a girl who thought my NetherlandDwarfs were cross bred with something. Her 'Netherland Dwarf' hadlopped ears and she thought that was the breed. Being theDwarf Hotot promoter that I am, she went home with a Dwarf Hotot ratherthen what she came for, a Netherland Dwarf. ;)All it took wasgetting one Dwarf Hotot out and letting her run around on the kitchentable LOL! She was very curious of the 'new' people and started'cuddling' with them. ;)

Bless her little heart, becc, and yours too for her new home.

Can't wait to hear her name.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new Ruler and Queen.

:dude:

-Carolyn

becc_boland wrote:
I got my female rabbit today! She's gorgeous! She's a dwarfcross hymalain (i cant spell it!) I havent named her yet if anyone hasany idea can you tell me? She's white with grey ears and pink eyes, icant put a pic on her coz my computer is running really slow ill tryagain 2morow or laterOh yeah she's 4 months old and her lastowners treated her like dirt so she isnt very fat shes skinny as but imfeeding her up!

Becc

Congratulations on your new rabbit! I got lost in the other conversation in this thread and forgot those 5 little words. ;)
I'm glad to see that this rabbit is getting a second chance at living alife! Good Luck with her, and if you have any questions, ask away :)

~*~Amanda~*~

Congrats bec,

I think stella is a nice name for a smart young rabbit. It sounds great bec, whats up with breeding

Peter

yeah im going to breed a mixed rabbit, i alreadyhave homes lined up, my uncle wants two for his kids, a friend wantsone too so i dont think there'll b a prob.

The male will be a dwarf as I am getting her from a friend who owns a pet shop but runs it from home.

Thnx 4 all your well wishes. Today she stayed home with my nonnu(poppy) all day and he sat with her non stop! She climbed all over him,niblled his ears etc lol. When i got home I went to the bathroom (shewas in the bath as the hutch isnt ready yet) and she hopped to the edgeto see her mummy! It was so cute! She loves her mummy. The only thingis, she didnt eat much today or drink much? Last nite she ate heaps ( ididnt keep refillin her food i didnt want to hurt her). She's beensleeping alot too, is that normal?

Becc

Peter is it? I was wondering, what do you think of my breeding plans? I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Anyone else got any ideas for names? I love the names: * Donkey (fromshrek) *Thumper (she thumps on the floor lol) *Lucy (after my greatnonna)

Thnx Peter Stella is a great name, im keeping my options open at the moment

becc_boland wrote:
Peter is it? I was wondering, what do you think of mybreeding plans? I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Anyone else got any ideas for names? I love the names: * Donkey (fromshrek) *Thumper (she thumps on the floor lol) *Lucy (after my greatnonna)

Thnx Peter Stella is a great name, im keeping my options open at the moment

becc if you arent sure if you are doing the right thing then maybe youshould hold off for a while, and try another project for school yournew bunny will love all of the attention you give her and it will begood for you to get used to haveing one before you add more to thebunch theres no need to rush into things:)

sara

Latest posts

Back