I got a rabbit today!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's nothing else i want to do! Sorry to sound like a brat but I really want to breed my girl.

Oh yeah i borrowed this from one of you i dont know who loli thought it was gorgeous! I cant download at the moment my comp isplayin up!

Becc:p

ok then sorry i thought you just posted that youwernt sure if what you weredoing is right, guess you have your mindmade up and dont care for anyone elses oppinion sorry for sticking mynose were it dosnt belong

sara

I never said that I didnt care for anyone elsesopinion. I have my mind made up but im not trying to be a spoilt brat.This is what I want to do, I just want to know if it is dangerous tolike breed cross breed rabbits. I dont think it would be.

i never said you were spoiled lol ...... i justreplied to you post and maybe you ment to say something else and justwasnt clear. i dont think its dangerous to cross breed rabbits butthere isnt much of a demand for them but you seem to have everythingworked out so the best of luck to ya

sara

It's not that there's a problem with breedingmixed rabbits, but as gsara put it, there's not a real demand for them.It does sound like you have things figured out, but since you haven'tbred her yet there are still a few things you need to consider:

- Risk: kits could be stillborn, momma may retain kits, or theremay be other delivery complications. Not saying it will happen, but itcould happen. It's heartbreaking more than anything and the possibilityof loss is something you'll have to accept.

-Money: if there are complications, you may need to bring mommaand/or kits to the vet. Again, not that it will happen, just beprepared for the possibility.

-Responsibility: the big one ;) It's something every goodbreeder takes on. You're choosing to bring these kits into the world soyou need to ensure that you can do what is best for them. You said youhave homes lined up already, that's great! I found myself with a litterof kittens (rescue) and ended up keeping two because I couldn't findhomes for them. That's a lot of responsibility...

Also, you'll have to ensure that they're good homes. Do theyknow about proper rabbit care? Housing? Nutrition? Socialization? Willthe be kept as pets? Spayed/Neutered? When you pass them off to newowners, they are still your responsibility, and you have to ensure thatthey are going to the best possible homes. It's easy to bring them intothe world, it's not so easy to make sure that they have what's best forthem for the rest of their lives. But that's your responsibility,because you are choosing to do this.

Keep us updated :) (pictures would be great! :p)

Congratulations on the new bunny,A himilayan mixwill probably not fatten up much on account of the long thin bodytype.and i agree there is some risk to breeding.many times first timemoms dont feed the babies.or put them in the nest.bluebird

Hiya

I know everyone else has been giving you tips and questioning yourmotivation. Sorry to 'stick my nose in' but you onlymentioned that you have 3 homes lined up --- 2 for your uncle and 1 fora friend. I know you've probably done your research and allbut what happens if the litter is a biiiig one??? I'm not inanyway trying to dissuade you frokm breeding but every good 'business'person should have a business plan for an emergency. Say youend up with 7 or 8 kits what will you do with them? Would yoube willing to keep 4 or 5 yourself having homed the three that yourfamily/friends have said they wanted? Just thought this wassomething worth considering?!

RebeccaUK wrote:
Hiya

I know everyone else has been giving you tips and questioning yourmotivation. Sorry to 'stick my nose in' but you onlymentioned that you have 3 homes lined up --- 2 for your uncle and 1 fora friend. I know you've probably done your research and allbut what happens if the litter is a biiiig one??? I'm not inanyway trying to dissuade you frokm breeding but every good 'business'person should have a business plan for an emergency. Say youend up with 7 or 8 kits what will you do with them? Would yoube willing to keep 4 or 5 yourself having homed the three that yourfamily/friends have said they wanted? Just thought this wassomething worth considering?!
i agree but i think shes got her mind set on doing it , no matterwhat. weve all tried to help thats the best we can do,hoplefully things work out the way she hopes them to.

sara

Friend of mine used to say, with some humor, that there are two ways to learn: shock...and...repetition!

Our young friend may need to learn some things either of those two ways, I'm afraid.

Buck

becc_boland wrote:
thnx I think that because my friends and family want rabbitsI shouldnt really have a problem "getting rid of them" as my mum putsit lol
so your hole family wants rabbits, sure

no i think everyones just trying to get you tolook at it from there prospective as experinced rabbit owners, so thatyou can see all the possibilitys.

how is your new rabbit doing? did you name her yet?

sara

she's doin really well, whenever i look into thebathroom i say wherez my girl and she pops her head up from whatevershe's doing! I havent named her yet but im thinking of calling herangel as thats what she is! i dont know what i did to deserve her sheis amazing and beautiful!

itz for a class at school and you need to make asmall profit but i cant exactly sell my girl after six months to get aprofit, i will breed her once to make a profit and if i do make aprofit ill get her spayed otherwise ill pay for that out of my ownmoney. what does this mean It justs seems like your justifying theunjust Becc. Why not just one if your not going to keepthem?

Latest posts

Back