I can't decide

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
magicapple wrote:
DevilRabbit wrote:
That is avery lovely rabbit! I dont see why you dont think it is cute!Makes me want to snuggle.
thats only the cute look. But when itlays down it looks soo long. and the head seem too small for thebody.:(
look at the picturess of my two again...mine look likethat to, but i dont just give them away because of it

jojo wrote:
I amsorry to interrupt, but magic apple - this story has taken 10minutes to read and nearly made me cry at how sad this is for yourrabbit and how you do not deserve to be a rabbt owner.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but you are tooimmature toconsider owning any kind of pet (rabbit/hamster or any other), untilyou change your attitude on what constitutes owning a pet and the REALresponsibilities of caring ang looking after them.

No wonder you have no bond with your poor bunny, you have absolutelygiven it no time or love and you have a perfectly sweet looking bunnyand are frankly being childish for any 14 about whether it is cute ornot. Your tantrums about ribbons and 'cuteness' actually horrify me.

I suggest you find a caring home for your rabbit, give it a betterlife, save your money and DO NOT BUY ANOTHER RABBIT/PET until you havechanged your attitude on what having a pet means.

It upsets me to think of this poor rabbit couped up in your bedroompretty much with no excercise and being ignored. Please understand I amnot meaning to be nasty, but help you see this situation from anotherpoint of view (which , frankly is a very upset andshocked reader).

Sorry, if this was blunt - but it really needs to be said.
I tried playing with it but it just end up sleeping on thefloor in front of me or peeing on the floor or when I try to play withit it just ends up scratching or something else. Maybe it's the way i'mplaying with it. I don't exacty know how to play with a rabbit. But sofar he's mean to me.

Eve wrote:
Ithink that if you dislike your rabbit so much, he would be much betteroff in a new loving home. By the sound of it he will get neglected ifyou keep him.

I would not recommend you get another rabbit, as they require a lot ofwork and care. From what you have said, it sounds like rabbits may notbe the best type of pet for you. The behaviour you have described isquite normal for any rabbit. I'm sure if you got another one, it wouldstill need to be socialized, would occasionally scratch, and requireyou spend time on the floor with it for it to develop a bond with you.

I think your current rabbit is very cute. If you buy a new baby rabbitwhich you think is cuter, it will only bea matter of timebefore it grows up and looks pretty much just like the one you havenow.
What if I get another rabbit and let my rabbit sociallize withthat rabbit. then I don't need to spend too much time with them andthey both should be more socialized. And I thought about all that youall have said. I really want a rabbit but it's sad to give a rabbitthat I own for 2 months to a shelter becuz it's not cute orw.eI complained about it. I'll just go shop and see if I canget another rabbit and put them together. I still really want a hollandlop so I'll see what happens. If those two rabbit will bond or not. Ifnot, I'm doomed.

peapoo_bunny wrote:
aww..i cant quit thinking about this little guy! im worriedabout him! and he looks so sweet! look at his little whitenose!!:bunnyheart

it doesnt look like he cared to much when the person in the picture wastouching him..he actually looks relaxed...i thought he bites andscratches?

i really wish that little guy could come live with me!:( iwould gladly take him of your hands if he's not cute enough...i thinkhe's gorgeous!!!! he would be so cute bonded with my two!!!:D
Different breed can bond right? But I heard if the sizes of therabbit are too different it won't work. And I also heard that boy andboy rabbit fight. But boy and girl reproduce. And it's nose it brown.For somereason my rabbit changed colors.

even if you get another rabbit, you will have tosocialize them BOTH..or they might just bond with each other and notyou... and you have to be prepared incase they never bond to eachother...then you'll have two separate cages,toys,etc....and even ifthey are bonded you'll still have to spend time with them and theyllstill need time to play outside of their cage...oh and if they dontbond you'll have to give each of them separate play time outside oftheir cage

Runestonez wrote:
I just want to throw my two cents in here too...

He is absolutely beautiful! I am in S. Ontario and I wouldmore than gladly take him off your hands if you were closer!!(Hey pea-poo I'll fight you for him!;))

Magicappleyou do realize rabbits are not like hamstersright?? They live considerably longer than 2-3years?? More like 10? Are you prepared tosocialize, care for and otherwise give this rabbit a happylife?? If not then I would suggest that you seriouslyconsider letting this bunn find a forever home because he is going tobe around along time!What happens when you finishHS and go to college or University?? Are you prepared to takebunn along? Depending on when you get married he may still bearound! These little guys are a lifetime investment!

The only time bunns bite is when they are scared or if they haven'tbeen socialized properly. So you can socialize him and getoveryour phobia of him biting you...or you can have ananti-social and heart sick bunn for the next ten years.

Just my 2 cents...I hope you make the right decision for him and foryou!:)
But I have been socializing with it for 2 months.and when I go to college i'll leave it for my mother and father orsister to care for them. becuz if I leave it to the shelter, what if noone else want to adopt it becuz its not cute. Someone told me therabbit might be killed or something if no one would adopt it. Somethinglike that... So I might be sending it to hell if I send it to ashelter.

magicapple wrote:
peapoo_bunny wrote:
aww..icant quit thinking about this little guy! im worried about him! and helooks so sweet! look at his little white nose!!:bunnyheart

it doesnt look like he cared to much when the person in the picture wastouching him..he actually looks relaxed...i thought he bites andscratches?

i really wish that little guy could come live with me!:( iwould gladly take him of your hands if he's not cute enough...i thinkhe's gorgeous!!!! he would be so cute bonded with my two!!!:D
Different breed can bond right? But I heard if the sizes of therabbit are too different it won't work. And I also heard that boy andboy rabbit fight. But boy and girl reproduce. And it's nose it brown.For somereason my rabbit changed colors.
size or breed doesnt matter...

a boy and a boy can fight and might be hard to bond. you would have to get them both neutered

boy and girl can reproduce..if your were going to bond them you wouldDEFINATELY have to get one of them neutered or spayed.. also once youget a male neutered he can still get the female pregnant for 4wks..soyou would need to wait at least that long after his neuter to try tobond them

As was mentioned several times already in thisthread, YOU CAN BOND TWO DIFFERENT BREEDS and SIZE DOES NOTMATTER! Naturally, a male and female willreproduce. This is why you would want to have themspayed/neutered before introducing them to eachother. Malerabbits will usually fight if they are together and are notneutered. If you have them neutered they can be bonded withlots of time and patience. My advice is for you to not get 2male rabbits since you appear to lack the patience required in bondingtwo male rabbits.

Another word of advice, you really should do more research beforegetting any animal as a pet and find out what is required in caring forthem.

naturestee wrote:
I agree with what everyone else here is saying.Rabbits needto get out of their cage to play daily, for atleast an hour. They are intelligent and need toys to occupytheir minds and bodies both in and out of the cage. They aresocial animals and need you to be their friends. It'sprobably one reason why she's putting her nose close to you.Mine do that all the time, and they're being friendly. Anunsocialized rabbit, even many socialized rabbits, will scratch whenthey are picked up. They're prey animals and it feels likethey're being grabbed by a predator. You need to learn how tomake them feel safe.

Also, if your dad was "playing" with the rabbit in the cage and the bunscratched him, it's probably because your bun feltthreatened. That's her safe space. It's also herhome, and many rabbits will defend their homes against intruders, suchas a hand they're not used to. Spay/neuter helps.Better yet, let the poor thing out to play and don't mess with her whenshe's in her safe space!

If you're not prepared to socialize, exercise, and care for thisrabbit, do not get another one. Don't get more animals atall. Pets aren't rocks. They need care andattention. Do what you can for this bun, even if you mightlet someone else adopt her eventually. If she's more used topeople, she's more likely to get adopted.

If you do decide to rehome her, be responsible and find a good home forher yourself. We might be able to help. If youcan't, call up rabbit rescues and see if they are able to takeher. If that doesn't work, try a regular no-killshelter. Do NOT take her to a regular "kill" shelter, becauseyou may be giving her a death sentance.
You said rabbit will fight for their home? Then it's impossiblefor me to bring a holland lop rabbit into it's home to play with it. Ireally want a holland lop, but I don't really want to abandon the one Ihave. Especially that I just started to litter training it.

TrixieRabbit wrote:
Magicapple, where in New York are you? I live on LongIsland. Maybe I can help you find a home for your bunny...

Do you know if it is a boy or a girl? Did the person at Petland tellyou? Not that they would know....this story breaks my heart. I have amini-lop who is a little smaller than your bunny. I don't think yourealized that bunnies aren't as small as you think. I always thoughtthey were tiny, but even small bunnies can weigh 5 lbs and be the sizeof a teacup poodle or chihuahua.

The thing with bunnies is they are cursed. Cursed with being aspirited, independent soul stuck in a deceptively cute and cuddly body.You think they are soft and cuddly and mushy...but they aren't. Theydon't LIKE being forcibly restrained, picked up, held. It's the rarebunny that likes this. NORMAL for a bunny is RUN AWAY, GET AWAYmentality. They have a fear of being eaten at all times! Just like weare afraid of small spiders or bugs...we know a tiny bug can't harmus...yet we FREAK OUT when we see one. Rabbits are the same. It's justsomething in their nature. You chase them they run. If you DONT chasethem, and let them come to you on their own, they become more trustingand comfortable, and pretty soon they will climb all over you! But assoon as you start chasing them....they run away!
The key to having your bunny be friendly is to RESPECT your bunny. Youcan't force her to love you. You just hang out and let them exploreyou. Trust me, with lots of pets on the head and some healthy treats,that little bunny will LOVE YOU in her own way....
Please let me know if you still want to get rid of him/her.....
FINE I"LL TRY TO KEEP HIM. I'll try doing everything everyonehere said. And i'll see if it's still nice or mean to me after a monthor so.

No, its not impossible...you just need to bondthem and make sure they are friends before letting them share acage. But if you are having so much difficulty with the oneyou have in caring for it, then I would suggest NOT getting a secondrabbit. Work on building a relationship with the one you have.

magicapple wrote:
You said rabbit will fight for their home? Then it'simpossible for me to bring a holland lop rabbit into it's home to playwith it. I really want a holland lop, but I don't really want toabandon the one I have. Especially that I just started to littertraining it.

thats why you would have to take the time to bond them... putting theircages beside each other for a few wks or a month or two and just letthem get used to each other...it takes time..you cant just throw themtogether and expect them to get along

i dont suggest you get another rabbit..especially since the one youhave isnt socialized and cant be out in your room yet because its notlitter trained

you should read this section on bunny bonding before getting another rabbit

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

queenadreena wrote:
Magicapple, it really sounds like you don't know too muchabout rabbit care. You stated that its fur falls out alot, this isbecause they go through stages of shedding their fur, much like catsdo. You need to brush them regularly. From what I've seen in the photo,it really doesn't look all that ferocious, and reason it probably only'sleep's and pee's' is because you don't spend enough time with it.Your rabbit is probably rather depressed, and the only way he/she isgoing to warm up to you is if you play with him. You shouldn't beafraid of a few little scratches, I get scratched up loads, but I stillhandle my two all the time. I suggest you get your rabbit out more,give it some petting an play time, show him/her some kindness. Also,get some books out of your local library, and read up on rabbit care.
It's not an ugly rabbit, far from it, and doesn't look all thatlarge, perhaps the same size as my albino lop. She also scratches alot,and is a bit of a bully, but she has very lovely moments, as I'm sureyour lop will if you treat him more like a pet rather than avoidinghim/her because you think its unnattractive.
Looking at therabbit from a photo does look smaller. And that pic was the pic of myrabbit on the first day I got it. It's probably nervouse thats why itdidn't move or anything.

peapoo_bunny wrote:
magicapple wrote:
DevilRabbit wrote:
That is avery lovely rabbit! I dont see why you dont think it is cute!Makes me want to snuggle.
thats only the cute look. But when itlays down it looks soo long. and the head seem too small for thebody.:(
look at the picturess of my two again...mine look likethat to, but i dont just give them away because of it
Your lookbetter, yours got more color.

magicapple wrote:
Your look better, yours got more color.
i was talkingabout their head compaired to their body...you said that your bunny'shead looked to small for its body when it stretches out...mine looklike that to

peapoo_bunny wrote:
magicapple, what is his name?:)
It doesn't reallyhave one. I only have one rabbit so i jsut call it rabbit. But I thinkthe store owner called it michael becuz it's nose turned from pink towhite. and michael jackson turned white. Something like that. Anywaynow my rabbit nose is brown.

peapoo_bunny wrote:
even if you get another rabbit, you will have to socializethem BOTH..or they might just bond with each other and not you... andyou have to be prepared incase they never bond to each other...thenyou'll have two separate cages,toys,etc....and even if they are bondedyou'll still have to spend time with them and theyll still need time toplay outside of their cage...oh and if they dont bond you'll have togive each of them separate play time outside of their cage
Okay okay. But I still want a holland lop. but I don't want to give alwaythe rabbit I have now now.

peapoo_bunny wrote:
size or breed doesnt matter...

a boy and a boy can fight and might be hard to bond. youwould have to get them both neutered which can be $300 or more each

boy and girl can reproduce..if your were going to bond them you wouldDEFINATELY have to get one of them neutered or spayed.. which could beup to $300 each..also once you get a male neutered he can still get thefemale pregnant for 4wks..so you would need to wait at least that longafter his neuter to try to bond them
YIKES Peapoo!! Where in the world did you have your bunniesspayed/neutered? Mine was only about $175. And Ilive in New York City which is supposed to be more expensive the NC.

everywhere i have priced so far has been$200-$300+...alot of people donthave rabbits around here, sothevets that are experienced with rabbitschargemore...im sure that ifwe took them tosomevet that isnt experienced it would be cheaper..cheaperwould be nice, butshe might die in theprocess:shock:...i wish somewhere around here would do itforthat cheap... i guess thats just the prices here...illhave to fix that;)

Latest posts

Back