HELP NAME MY BUNNY!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you believe in spaying? Could you explain your reasons? It would probably help you to talk about it, I think.

Do you know about spaying? Why don't you like it? You might just be misinformed.

Sometimes you can't agree with somethingbecause you don'tknow enough about it or have misleading information. It's OK if youhave your opinions, but for spaying I think you just don't know enoughabout it. :).It really isn't a bad thing, and will eliminatethechance of uterine cancer and tumors, and will also helpbehavior wise.

Even if you don't foster or adopt, you can still help a lotbyvolunteering at the shelter. I just don't think breeding isthe right thing to do at this point in time.

:hug1We are just looking out for you and your rabbits because we care.

If you're confused - or have wrong info. - aboutspaying, you're in good company. I didn't know much about it until idecided that I wanted to adopt a rabbit, at which pointI startedreading a lot about rabbit behavior, care and health.

If I had adopted an unspayed bunny, I'd have gladly paid to have the spay done, out of my own pocket. (Same for a neuter.)

There are *so* many life-threatening health problems that can - andusually do - hit unspayed females. I would hate to see you go throughlosing a bunny to cancer, a uterine infection, etc. etc.

As Spring said, we do care about you - and your rabbits.

I Explained why i dont like it..i dont like totake away that thing that makes them girl or boy..who they are..In wildthey wouldent be spayed..But truely tthey wouldent be put in the samecage to mate..but we domesticated that rabbit...i just dont belive init.Never had.:(

But can someone tell me the prosedure to spay them...?I dont know to mutch about that.:?

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY TO ENYONE WHO MAY READ THIS AND IS THINKING OFSPAYING THERE RABBIT OR WANTS TO GET A RABBIT....I MAY NOT DO IT BUTPLEASE LISTEN TO EVERYONE ELSE>>SPAY YOUR RABBIT...IMJUST DIFFERENT.

Oh right. There's a lot of unnatural thingseverything a domestic pet has to go through. It's the same thing withdogs or cats. These critters in the wild don't have to be spayed orneutered, but for their own health and the population we fix domesticanimals. Wild rabbits also usually don't live past a year, so theynever have time to encounter uterine problems. It may be unnatural, butit's something that is in the best interest of the bunny :).

I've never had a rabbit spayed, but that will change soon. Here's whatit's like: The rabbit is put under anesthetic and the belly shaved.They use an antiseptic surgical soap on the shaved part. Then they makea 1-3 cm incision through the skin then the skin is incised by ascalpel or laser. The body walls israised to avoid damage tothe cecum and bladder, then the uterus is located and taken out by thesmall incision, then they expose the uterus horns the body of theuterus below the horns is isolated and clamped. Remaining tissue thenplaced back through the incision, then check to make sure everything isalright before stitching back up and waking up the bunny. Very simpleand leaves only a tiny incision.

Iwas very interested in the steps of the spay, but it's kind of graphic so didn't know if I should post it.

Oh i would liek to see pictures...do you have a link to some?

Spring wrote:
Oh right. There's a lot of unnatural things everything adomestic pet has to go through. It's the same thing with dogs or cats.These critters in the wild don't have to be spayed or neutered, but fortheir own health and the population we fix domestic animals. Wildrabbits also usually don't live past a year, so they never have time toencounter uterine problems. It may be unnatural, but it's somethingthat is in the best interest of the bunny :).

I've never had a rabbit spayed, but that will change soon. Here's whatit's like: The rabbit is put under anesthetic and the belly shaved.They use an antiseptic surgical soap on the shaved part. Then they makea 1-3 cm incision through the skin then the skin is incised by ascalpel or laser. The body walls israised to avoid damage tothe cecum and bladder, then the uterus is located and taken out by thesmall incision, then they expose the uterus horns the body of theuterus below the horns is isolated and clamped. Remaining tissue thenplaced back through the incision, then check to make sure everything isalright before stitching back up and waking up the bunny. Very simpleand leaves only a tiny incision.

Iwas very interested in the steps of the spay, but it's kind of graphic so didn't know if I should post it.

This article explains everything that happensduring the spay surgery, including pictures. It also haspictures and ultrasounds of uterine tumors.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/ovario.PDF

About the "natural" thing, like Spring said wild rabbits usually onlylive 1-2 years. We can do much better for our pets and I seeno reason not to keep them as healthy as possible. I've seenseveral people on this forum and others talk about the horrors ofseeing their rabbits go through uterine cancer, mammary cancer, anduterine infections. Because of that, I will always spay myrabbits as long as they don't have complicating health problems.

An article from the same site on the neuter surgery:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/orchidectomy.PDF

Also from the same site, a caesarian section surgery to remove a living kit from a doe with birthing complications.
http://www.medirabbit.com//EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/caesarian.PDF

Which brings up a very important question for me. If youcan't drive, and if your parents happen to not be home at the time,what happens if your doe who is due to give birth starts havingcomplications? What if it's day 35, she's definatelypregnant, but there's no kits yet? Or like Jupiterannette'sdoe, who got a vaginal discharge that turned out to be an infectionfrom a dead stuck kit? Are you comfortable with taking thiskind of risk and not being able to get your doe to a vet? Ifthis happens and you can't get to a vet, the doe could die.This is not a risk I'd be comfortable taking, especially since I'veseen the other breeders here talking about running some of their doesin to the vet for oxytocin shots, emergency spays, etc. Iknow you love your rabbits, and I don't want to see you or your rabbitsget hurt because you can't find someone to drive you to the vet in time.

like i said there always home..and if i wasexpecting babys they would behome..or have soemone to drive me...but nothey would be home..i will lokk at the link...thank you.

I love the name Winnie! Do you have pics? I lovetort dutches. My boy Basil is a dort dutch and my Max is a chocolate.Dutches are just the best.:)

Congrats on your new bun! :D I love the nameWinnie. I wanted to call my rabbit (Ollie) that, but I decided againstit in the end. He didn't really look like a 'Winnie' anyway. :)

BTW, I'd just like to say that no one here is against you. We just loverabbits, and some people here know a lot about them. We don't want youto leave, we're just stating our opinions based on our experience withrabbits. Sometimes we can get a little pushy and sound like'know-it-alls', but don't we all? ;) Also, I'd just like to add that Iam actually younger than you, if it makes you feel better in any way. :)

Rachel.

My old dog's name was Winnie!

PICTURES?!?:colors:

- Amy

My Basil is a tort, although someone told me he was called a blue tort because he has some grey in him:

basresized.jpg

From what i see of him Haley he is aTORT do have grey..they arnt tort without grey...:)An orangeand white of course!Show wise his markings look PERFECT! lol hee lookslike a sweet little thing!;)

Latest posts

Back