HELP NAME MY BUNNY!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to add to what MBH has said because I think it is important for me to share this.

I did a lot of research before I started breeding. I had no one near meto help me and I wasn't sure if I would be doing the right thing bybreeding. To be very honest with you - even now I question myselfsometimes and I'm cutting way back on my breeding....way way back.

Here are some things I've learned the hard way and some things I've observed from yuor posts:

a. Breeding is expensive. I'll never break even - letalone make money...well....at east not this year! I have over 100rabbits - partly because I had some litters where people didn't wantthem. It was either the wrong time of the year and folks werevacationing (who wants to add a rabbit then?) or various other things.

So now I have rabbits to feed....and unfortunately, they are in colors that don't go well here.

Mind you - I'm the only breeder within about 300 miles who isregistered with the lionhead club - so I get exposure that way andthrough my website.

But I still have an overabundance of rabbits. BIG MISTAKE on my part for planning.

I've rehomed rabbits a number of times - I always interview people andtalk to them before I do it and I have turned people down.

My feed alone is over $100 every two weeks.

Now I know - you're saying, "I'm only going to have X holes..". I'veseen it happen so many times....breeders are only going to have 10holes...then it goes to 12...then 15...then 20...then they add anotherbreed or another color.

Then - within a year or two - they quit and sell out.

No matter what you start with - it won't be what you end up with....you can trust me on that.

b. If your parents won't take your rabbits to the vet whenthey're your pets - they're certainly not going to take them to the vetif you're breeding them. And trust me - any problems that any onemember on this board has a chance of getting - I have around 50 - 100times the chance of getting that problem - because I have 100rabbits.

So let's say in your first litter - you get coccidia. A breeder friendof mine got it with a new rabbit she got...it infected her herd. Thelast time I talked to her she'd just paid $100+ for medicine....andthat was her second or third time buying it. That isnt' counting thevet visit to take ONE rabbit in to diagnose it...(then she had to treatthe whole herd). Treating one rabbit isn't expensive - but get a bunchyou have to treat - and it adds up quickly.

Or let's talk about wry neck....to have the medications on hand in casea rabbit gets wry neck - costs me $20 - $40 depending upon the courseof treatment and how long I have to treat that rabbit. I might not usemuch of that medicine - but I can't go in to the feed store and say,"Can I buy 8 drops of piperazine for my 2 pound rabbit?". No - I haveto buy the whole bottle.

c. (Another potential issue with breeding now) Then we getto birthing problems. Maybe your first litter went fine - but inyour second litter or your fifth litter or your twenty-fifth litter -you get a stuck kit. Guess what...time for a vet visit andshots...'cause what if the doe retains something?

My point?

Breeding isn't cheap and it isn't always fun. You can't always findhomes for your rabbits - even when they're pedigreed and a fairlypopular breed. Your "pet market" will be tapped out in just a fewlitters ... then you're going to get stuck with extra rabbits to feedand maintain.

I have purebred rabbits- with pedigrees. I have a website. I have clubmemberships with the right clubs. I show at the big shows in my areathat matter. I have business cards and I have done advertising locallywhen I have pets for sale.

And guess what? I still don't make enough to cover the feed - let alone any additional expenses for medications, etc.

I know that you're probably going to go ahead and do whatever you want. Fine.

But the thing is - as much as you might think this forum is here forthe people - and we are here for people -we're here for therabbits. That means - sometimes some of us whoreally care are going to say tough things. Not because we don'tcare about you - but because we care about your rabbits.

So if you come here and ask us for advice - even if it is naming a newrabbit - be prepared to hear comments that you might not like.

Several of us are concerned about the way you care for / don't carefor your rabbits. We're concerned about the fact that yourparents do not help you or understand the need for rabbits to see a vetwhen they are ill. We think (and I'm speaking very generally here basedupon things I've seen) that to bring ANOTHER rabbit into a situationlike this isn't wise.

Peg
who has to get back to packing for the show!

MyBoyHarper wrote:
I know from hearingTinysMomtalk that she did tons and tons of research beforeshe ever bred, and has so much knowledge in what she does. Years ofknowledge. And that's how it should be when breeding, because you arebringing an innocent, living life into this world that relies on you100% for its health and well-being.

Because not spaying isn't a religion andshoildn't be compared to such. Not spaying is purely irresponsible andwill only cause the rabbit a painfulsickness. Is that whatshe deserves?

It's like having a child and saying you don't believe in giving them medicine when they are sick. It's irresponsible.

And no one is picking on you about your age. There are several youngmembers here, Michaela and Spring are two of them, but they are alsovery responsible and take advice when it's given.

As far as your neighbor, this is the neighbor who told you to give yoursick rabbit vitamin c when it had HEAD TILT. The same rabbit that diedtwo days later. So yes, I question his experience. And I only get upsetbecause when 20people told you to take it to a vet, and 1person told you to give it vitamin c, you picked that 1 person and gaveit vitamin c.

I'm only coming across with honesty and repeating what you have said ordone in the past. I'm not lying or picking, and I'm not judging you,but rather your actions. And my only concern is for the rabbits, not topick on you.

lovethetailyall wrote:
HE DIED..SHORTLY AFTER I POSTED IT...mY PARENTS WHERE NOTHOM FOR THAT 2 DAYS AND I HAD NO WAYS OF GETTING TO THE VET
I'm sorry to jump in on this and I don't really care to fight withanyone but if you have to rely on your parents for transporation youshould not be breeding. I am 20 (yes, young) but I have my own car anda full time, pretty well paying job and I still would not even think ofbreeding until either a) I was older and had more money or b) I wasvery financially well off due to a husband or whatever. Breeding cancost thousands of dollars.

I do not mean to be rude but you rely on your parents to drive you tothe vet which tells me that you either are young or do not have thefunds fora car or taxis (or both) which means you do not havethe funds to breed. Oh and please re-read before you post. The spellingmistakes honestly makes it hard for me to understand your posts. Itried to offer advice in one of your posts before and could not even doso because the spelling hurt my eyes.

So well put TinysMom. I'll never breed (justdon't have the experience, time, or money) but I've learned so muchjust from listening to you!

If you take any advice about breeding, please listen to TinysMom. Sheis an extremely experienced breeder and what she is telling you is purefact.

I am going to volenteer...Im going to school to be a vet-tec.....Im going to start to volenteer in the summer...

MyBoyHarper wrote:
I wanted to add to the wonderful advice rabbit hutch said. I'vevolunteered for a rescue for over a year now, and I am one of the topmost active members. I'm usually the one doing the transports,fostering, picking up supplies, ect. And it has been a huge learningexperience. And I feel that's what you could use. Volunteering at arescue or shelter will really open your eyes.

I'm concerned about you breeding because of the reasons Rabbit Hutchoutlined. Yesterday we got in a rabbit that someone didn't want anymoreand decided they were going to have it euthanized. The vet called us,and we took it. The girl who runs the rescue just called me andinformed me that we just got 3 more rabbits -- all surrenders becausethe proplegot rabbits and decided they didn't want themanymore when they outgrew their 'cute' stage. We have 6 more surrenderscoming next week. 10 rabbits in a little over a week. How sad is that?When rabbits aren't wanted anymore, if they aren't euthanized or 'setfree', they are given to already over-crowded shelters.

I just don't see the sense in senseless breeding, when you reallyshould spend your time and money with the rabbits you already have, notby bringing more into the world needlessly.

P.S., as Rabbit Hutch said -- don't you think if you have ALL theseexperienced people telling you the same exact thing, that they mayactually be right? Try listening to them. In the beginning, I didn't.And I regret it very much. So try actually TAKING the advice ratherthan ignoring it.

Hey everyone!

Just my two cents here. When someone asks for advice, and you offer itand then get angry because they don't take it, just stop and think fora bit. Advising someone doesn't mean forcing your ideas onto them (eventhough they are all 100% good ideas), it means giving them some thingsto think about. You can advise till you are blue in the face :),sometimes.

This thread is about naming a bunny ;), so lets think of some goodnames! I never cared for Winnie the Pooh so I don't know any of thecharacters.

Its not that anyone here is against breeding. As you can see, we have lots of breeders on here.

People are concerned for you and your bunnies not because you want tobreed, but because you are starting to breed without the properknowledge and foresight to do so.

If you are serious about breeding, why not register with some breederorganizations, read up on breeding and rabbit health/illnesses etc andthen start with one boy and one girl once you are fully informed. Ithink youre going to get way in over your head, hun. Thats why peopleare warning you now.

Breeders need to know how to deal with health issues ofbothadults and babies. What will you do if a doe has a stuckkit? Or if they catch snuffles? Vitamin C wont work. You didnt evenknow what a cecotrope was. I just think you need to be more informedbefore you get into all this.

I hope you actually consider some of what we are saying to you. We'rereally thinking of the best interests of you and your babies. It willkill you if you keep having to go through what you went through withyour little Polish.

I'll be praying for you. Please please please consider some of what we are saying.

I never said they wouldent bring me..they where not home..they couldent.

TinysMom wrote:
b. If your parents won't take your rabbits to the vet whenthey're your pets - they're certainly not going to take them to the vetif you're breeding them. And trust me - any problems that any onemember on this board has a chance of getting - I have around 50 - 100times the chance of getting that problem - because I have 100rabbits.

Obviously the advice will never be taken (never has been before), so you're right minilops -- I'll drop the subject. :)

Names, I like Robin as in Christopher Robin. I also like Piglet.

you are 15, you can't drive, you couldn't get acab and you want to breed? I am sorry but I can't sit by and just beokay with this. I know other members have been quiet or given up buthow do you give up on that. You're 15! Sweetie you have a life time tobreed rabbits. You aren't even out of highschool. You don't even havethe time to breed and will not be making the money to pay for it. Ilive in Ontario as well. I know how much minimium wage is and how manyhours you can legally work a week (I am an assistant manager). Rememberat 15 you are not legally allowed to work a 40 hour workweekdue to itpossibly getting in the way of highschool. Youcannot work 44 hours a week (44 is the total hours one can work a weekbeforebeing paid overtime) until you are16 (becauseyou candrop out at 16). You cannot even legally work 30hours.You cannot afford to breed on that money.

Personally i came to the forum...I dident wantpeople to look ta me the way many are probally looking at me now.Someyoung.irisponnsable,breeding,rabbit killing person.:XIm not mad atenyone i just dont want to post somehting in the future and someonegoing to it saying" Oh look its that young breeding,rabbit killingperson"..its not who i am!

Its not my fualt..i work beuse i need themoney..i love the horses..and the lady i work for gettsprettyticked if i do soemthing wrong or miss a day.:?

No one said that at all

.....we're alljust trying to steer you in a direction so thatyou won't turn out to be an irrisponsible, rabbit breeding killingperson. Nothing more.

I don't see you as a rabbit killer and neversaid the pay you receive is your fault. All I'm saying is I knowlegally you cannot make what it takes to breed rabbits and you arestill in school. You need to focus on your school work and notstressing out over rabbits. Leave the breeding till you are older. Ipromise you it will be a lot better when you have the resources to doit. No one sees you as a rabbit killer. We all all expressing ourconcerns because, as was said before, we love rabbits and are onlyconcerned for their health.

The lady im getting the dutch from has no moretort..there are no breeders around with the couler...thats why i wantto breed ONE litter so i can give to people and the dutch breeders sothe 'Dutch Tort" wont be extreamly hard to find like it is now...:?

lovethetailyall wrote:
I am 15. i cant drive.:(If i could he would have gone to the vet.
I'm sorry, but I have to just say one more thing. If you're 15 andcan't drive, then there is NO WAY you should be breedingrabbits.You couldn't get the last rabbit to the vet, how willyou get the babies to the vet if and when they get sick? Or the doe?Please don't say your parents, because you just admitted that the lasttime your rabbit got sick, they '"couldn't" take it to the vet. So itneedlessly died. Who says they'll be able to take it this time? If theycouldn't take a rabbit that you were attached to, I don't hold muchhope that they'll take a bunch of babies that you just purposely bred.

No they WHERE NOT HOME..i think it was awedding that week...they are always home but this time they where not!Iwas watching my Little brother and couldent just leave..and it is a twohour walk from town...if i could i would but i cant bring a sick rabbitout in the snow.:(

MyBoyHarper wrote:
lovethetailyall wrote:
I am 15.i cant drive.:(If i could he would have gone to the vet.
I'm sorry, but I have to just say one more thing. If you're 15 andcan't drive, then there is NO WAY you should be breedingrabbits.You couldn't get the last rabbit to the vet, how willyou get the babies to the vet if and when they get sick? Or the doe?Please don't say your parents, because you just admitted that the lasttime your rabbit got sick, they '"couldn't" take it to the vet. So itneedlessly died. Who says they'll be able to take it this time? If theycouldn't take a rabbit that you were attached to, I don't hold muchhope that they'll take a bunch of babies that you just purposely bred.

lovethetailyall, I would really hate to see yougo through a lot of heartbreak over more rabbits - and that willhappen if you go into breeding without knowledge, money and time. Badthings do happen - and I don't believe you're ready or able toface that at this time in your life.

So many people with a ton of experience are telling you the truth aboutthis - and I know nobody else here wants to see you lose a secondrabbit, be it adult or baby. I certainly don't.

If you volunteer for a rescue (as people have suggested before), you'llget to work with all kinds of animals - probably babies, too. A lot ofpeople surrender pregnant bunnies.

* My beloved bunny, Nibbles, was lucky - she was an Easter dump and wastransferred from the Humane Society to a rabbit rescue. Her life wassaved. Very few bunnies have that chance.

You've got two choices: helping to solve the problem, or adding to it. I think in your heart you know the right thing to do.

Latest posts

Back