HELP NAME MY BUNNY!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethetailyall

Reaction score
Help name my new bunny! She is comeing in a fewdays! She is a Dutch,Doe,Tort! You cant find them around hear reallyanymore! Sooo i have a Dutch tort Buck so i will breed them......Sadlythe mom of this girl died giveing birth i think....and luckly the kindlady is giveing her too me!:)Im soo thankfull! Well the Names Tiggerand Pigglet are taken! But i want to name the girl after a "Winne thePoo" character or a animal in a movie character...if i choose the namethat you show me you will be her God-Mother! he hhe!:bunnydance:

Or a pretty made up name! that is differnt! Or a different langwage!:D

Please help!:elephant:

Remember all those conversations you've had here regarding spaying/neutering?

I think you *really* need to get that taken care of right away.I'm notsaying this to be mean - I'm concerned for you and for your rabbits.You've got some lovely bunnies, and I honestly think you - and they -would be far better off if you kept them as as much-loved pets (asopposed to breeding them).

I'm sure TinysMom will have some excellent advice for you on this.

OK?

I honestly don't think Tiny's Mom has any advice that will be taken...sorry.

I have issues with folks who breed when they can't/won't take theirrabbits to the vet. True - I often treat my own rabbits at home becauseI have a network of breeders I go to for information, etc. I also keepa large supply of medicines here - (and am adding to my list lactatedringers and some other stuff if I can get my vet to give me aprescription for it).

Sorry! I'm afraid its been years since I've read Winnie thePooh so I'm no help there... :shock: My kids are22...hopefully in a few years I'll have grandkids to read it too..orwatch it with...or whatever.

Peg

P.S. Maybe other members can help - and I am looking forwardto seeing a picture of the doe. I don't know if I've ever seen a tortdutch.

Seems like there's been a rash of mamas dying lately though when thebabies were younger (on the forum - not sure who they all belongto)....makes me wonder what is up!

ec wrote:
Remember all those conversations you've had here regarding spaying/neutering?

I think you *really* need to get that taken care of right away.I'm notsaying this to be mean - I'm concerned for you and for your rabbits.You've got some lovely bunnies, and I honestly think you - and they -would be far better off if you kept them as as much-loved pets (asopposed to breeding them).

I'm sure TinysMom will have some excellent advice for you on this.

OK?

I like the name roo..and kanga...:DBUt imunshure... I htink im going to pick her up tommrow...or go seeher..eather one..! when i bring her home i will take picts!!:cool:

They are mutch loved pet.Same with otherbreeders....some breeders do it all for buisness..but my rabits areplayed with all the time Everyone loves them..there not some labanimals cooped up in cages to be bred.:?They have a life also...

ec wrote:
You've got some lovely bunnies, and I honestly think you - andthey - would be far better off if you kept them as as much-loved pets(as opposed to breeding them).

Unforseen events excepted, spaying really doesextend the lives of the girls - and they're much easier to keepas pets that way. (Same for the boys, though the health risks aren't asserious for unneutered boys as they are for unspayed girls...)

I agree with ec and tinysmom.....

You had wanted to start a rescue, so rather than breed new bunnies intothe world, why don't you call up a local rescue and let them know you'dbe willing to help foster some bunnies.

What a great way to help the buns and save a few lives. It'llalso be alot easier than having a whole litter of babies that need tobe separated and spayed and neutered before they start tobreed. Things get out of control really quick - within 4 or 5months. Speutereing that many will also cost a fortune.

Please spay and neuter your bunnies - it makes a world of difference ontheir health. Nibbles recently came to us at 5 years old anddied within a week of pyometria because she was unspayed and too sickto spay.

Im not starting a resuce.

Rabbit Hutch wrote:
I agree with ec and tinysmom.....

You had wanted to start a rescue, so rather than breed new bunnies intothe world, why don't you call up a local rescue and let them know you'dbe willing to help foster some bunnies.

What a great way to help the buns and save a few lives. It'llalso be alot easier than having a whole litter of babies that need tobe separated and spayed and neutered before they start tobreed. Things get out of control really quick - within 4 or 5months. Speutereing that many will also cost a fortune.

Please spay and neuter your bunnies - it makes a world of difference ontheir health. Nibbles recently came to us at 5 years old anddied within a week of pyometria because she was unspayed and too sickto spay.

Hi there,

I can definitely understand the desire to breed and get cute little babies, but have you asked yourself the following questions:

1. Do you have money to go to the vet if there are complications with the birth?

2. What will you do if you cannot find homes for the babies? A rabbit can have a litter of up to 10 babies!

3. How will you house the babies when the girls and boys get older?What will happen if they grow up and start fighting with each other? Doyou have room to house that many bunnies seperately?

4. Do you have housing for both of the parents? The female can get pregnant immediately after giving birth.

Please listen to the advice given, especiallythe advice from TinysMom. I own 3 rabbits and I made mistakes in thepast with them. I wish now I would've listened when TinysMom waslecturing me (good lecturing, I realize that now) about just keepingHarper instead of taking on more rabbits. Now my great new bunnies aresick and in need of really expensive vet care. Had I listened from thebeginning, I wouldn't be in the position I am in today.

If you breed those rabbits, let's say they have 5 babies. One baby endsup with Coccidia. Then it gives it to the other 4. Now you have 5 sickbabies, 5 vet bills, 5 treatments, 5 sets of medications. You aretalking hundreds of dollars that you do not have. You are not ready tobreed a rabbit, you don't have the funds or experience to take care ofthem, especially if sickness were to arrive. Plus you never takeanyone's advice, so those babies wouldn't even get treatment if theygot sick. Then you end up with 5 dead, innocent babies that could'vehad their lives spared if you would've just not bred them -- for noreason other than self amusement.

You already had one rabbit die because you never took it to the vet.You have another one having huge hormonal issues, which you refuse tospay, and yet ANOTHER one that has a cecal problem, in which you refuseto get it help for.

Take the advice of everyone here -- please don't breed. The world isoverpopulated enough without you needlessly breeding with no experiencewhatsoever. Do you even have homes lined up for the babies? Are thosepeople knowledgeable? Do they have money to take care of them and theirvet bills? Are they adults who are responsible? (I'm sure you're goingto say yes to these, but I honestly wonder...)

For the sake of the rabbits, I'd reconsider.

This is my rabbit,My money,Money that i actulydo have.I am learning and have experinecsed people on by.I love all myrabbits.Personelly..i posted a topic asking if anyone couldhelp me name my rabbit..but nope! Not that !:?Like why are you in myface..no offence but i dont know you..?WHo knows i could be some Grownladywho is testing out forums to see if people accept you forwhat you are...(im not really).Im not some little kid who want to breedherBunny to have sweet little babys..I know the consiqenses!Iplan befor...they would all have spoken for homes....and truly i donteven know iwant to make any more topics.....This is just overmy head..ok?Now there ARe many of you i get along with.And i hatenoone..OK i cameTo the Fourm for advice..toMetpeople who also loved rabbits..and really ithink i want toleave...So Im sorry to say i dont want to post picts of alitter..or of new or old rabbits..Beuse clearly i will be jumped on forthat.

I am Sorry.I dont want to post something any more becuase i may saysomehting that you may object too..so if anyone has comments PMme....And i loved this forum..but truly now..i dont think its going towork out...

Sorry for anyones time.

Bu Bye

*Lovethetailyall*:(

I wasn't being rude, and I really don't want youto leave. I am just giving you honest advice that anyone who breedsrabbits should think about. Experience, money, and prospective homes. Iknow from hearing TinysMomtalk that she did tons and tons ofresearch before she ever bred, and has so much knowledge in what shedoes. Years of knowledge. And that's how it should be when breeding,because you are bringing an innocent, living life into this world thatrelies on you 100% for its health and well-being.

I'm just worried because you didn't take your last rabbit to the vet asdirected, and she died. You have another one that has a health problemand you still won't take her to the vet. So I just have my concerns onif these need medical treatment, if they'll get the proper treatment.

Just my two cents. :)

HE DIED..SHORTLY AFTER I POSTED IT...mYPARENTS WHERE NOT HOM FOR THAT 2 DAYS AND I HAD NO WAYS OF GETTING TOTHE VET...I DID MY BEST AND HE WAS A RUNT...A FADER..I COULD HAVE DONESOMEHTING IF I HAD PARENTS HOME AND IF NOTICED THAT HE WAS SICKERLIR..I JUST WENT DOWN ONE NIGHT..AND HE LOOKED BAD...TWO OR ONE DAYSLATER HE PASSED..

rOXY DOES NOT HAVE A HEATH PROBLEM..I TOOK HER OF CARROTS AND SHE ISBETTER..AND WHEN I GOT HER FROM HER OLD OWNER SHE WAS ALREADY LIKE THATTHEY FED HER A CARROT A DAY..WAY TO MUTCH..SO I ONLY GAVE HER A BABYCARROT..AFTER I TOOK CARROTS AWAY..SHE HAS NO MESSY POOP.If i didenthave the money i wouldent be doing this..i worked my but of every dayin the summer at a barn where they made me do inpossible things and ionly was payed $5..where normal people who would work at abarn would get 7 or 8 $.....Im still working now.

MyBoyHarper wrote
I'm just worried because you didn't take your last rabbit to the vet asdirected, and she died. You have another one that has a health problemand you still won't take her to the vet. So I just have my concerns onif these need medical treatment, if they'll get the proper treatment.

Just my two cents. :)

I'm not upset with you either, lovethetailyall, but I am concerned for both you and your rabbits.

Last Wednesday, my bunny started to slip into the early stages of g.i.stasis. She wasn't eating, refused food, and was otherwise actingnot OK. I got pretty panicky, as there was a big snowstormcoming and I have to drive a long way to get to a vet who knows how tocare for rabbits (and I don't have four wheel drive).

My bunny is OK now, but she went to the vet. And people who post hereregularly gave me a lot of helpful suggestions and support.

This is a very good place for learning, asking questions and gettinggood advice. But nobody here can "make" anyone take that advice. That'sentirely up to you.

Please find a good vet for your bunnies and get their medical needstaken care of, for their sake and yours. You wlll feel better aboutyourself if you take the responsibility for your pets.

I'm out of things to say, too - like TinysMom. It's because I have no advice that will be acted on.

Me agian....

Rather than get mad at people, why don't you step back and take aminute to think....hmmmm....why are these people telling you all ofthis. They said it wasn't against you just to *help*you. Don't get defensive.

From my perspective and I don't read alot of the posts just the rescue& infirmary posts, I have noticed that you are keen to help outand want to do more with the bunnies. That is great butsometimes you have to learn why people do things and the reasons behindit. I've been volunteering for years and started at a localshelter and now *years* later, we have our own rescue. Ididn't rush in and start doing things and making changes....I learnedfrom the people there. Alot of young or new volunteers arekeen and wear rose colored glasses - which is good but sometimes you'llfind in the world of animal welfare etc things are not always great.

Many of the people here speak to the issue of money not because theyare preaching but because they have been there, done that.Our rescue spent over $21,00 in vet bills last year....bunnies are notcheap. You know how hard it is to make money, you said you work hardand it's for $5 an hour.....it takes alot to save money.

The issue of spaying & neutering and not having more babiescome into to the world unless you are a well established breeder arefor good reasons....there are just too many bunnies dying each daybecause they have no home. A few weeks ago I had calls frompeople wanting to take their bunnies - there were 47 in one week alone.

Then I get the call from a shelter wanting help with the buns sincethey recenlty *killed 30* of them and don't want to have to do itagain. A few days ago another shelter brought in 3 to be putdown for no reason but space....luckily they found a place togo. Day after day they die while new babies are being sold atPetCetera, Petland ect. How do you think I feel at the end ofthe day....basically if I can't help or find foster homes for them, Iknow they will be killed. It is gut wrenching and verydisheartening. I will do anything to encourage someone likeyourself to involve yourself in way s where you can help and make adifference rather than maybe one day adding to the problem.

I speak to you from the other side of the coin.....I see bunnies dying,being neglected and dumped every day. You are keen and wantto help so please why not consider having your two altered, keepingthem as pets, enjoying themand helping a rescue orshelter. You'll learn lots and feel good about actually beingable to help out. You'll even learn how to care for &treat sick animals so if you are on your own, maybe you'll have abetter idea how to help until you can get to a vet.

Just think about it rather than get mad.

I wanted to add to the wonderful advice rabbithutch said. I've volunteered for a rescue for over a year now, and I amone of the top most active members. I'm usually the one doing thetransports, fostering, picking up supplies, ect. And it has been a hugelearning experience. And I feel that's what you could use. Volunteeringat a rescue or shelter will really open your eyes.

I'm concerned about you breeding because of the reasons Rabbit Hutchoutlined. Yesterday we got in a rabbit that someone didn't want anymoreand decided they were going to have it euthanized. The vet called us,and we took it. The girl who runs the rescue just called me andinformed me that we just got 3 more rabbits -- all surrenders becausethe proplegot rabbits and decided they didn't want themanymore when they outgrew their 'cute' stage. We have 6 more surrenderscoming next week. 10 rabbits in a little over a week. How sad is that?When rabbits aren't wanted anymore, if they aren't euthanized or 'setfree', they are given to already over-crowded shelters.

I just don't see the sense in senseless breeding, when you reallyshould spend your time and money with the rabbits you already have, notby bringing more into the world needlessly.

P.S., as Rabbit Hutch said -- don't you think if you have ALL theseexperienced people telling you the same exact thing, that they mayactually be right? Try listening to them. In the beginning, I didn't.And I regret it very much. So try actually TAKING the advice ratherthan ignoring it.

But in many posts people made it clean i was toyoung and to irissponsible to start a rescuse.I was to young.My nabooris experineced and has owend rabbits since he was young..i am like theother half of his rabbitry..he teaches me about them...gives me tipsand pointers...i dont belive in spaying..in many topics i say why..nowi kow everyone is agenst that but that what i do.I dont spay.I know asi grow older i may spay.M thoghts may change..but now i dont belive inspaying..like cultures and religions..people belive different things.Ijust wish everyone understood i dont spay. And when i post stuffworkour way around it.:(

Rabbit Hutch wrote:
Me agian....

Rather than get mad at people, why don't you step back and take aminute to think....hmmmm....why are these people telling you all ofthis. They said it wasn't against you just to *help*you. Don't get defensive.

From my perspective and I don't read alot of the posts just the rescue& infirmary posts, I have noticed that you are keen to help outand want to do more with the bunnies. That is great butsometimes you have to learn why people do things and the reasons behindit. I've been volunteering for years and started at a localshelter and now *years* later, we have our own rescue. Ididn't rush in and start doing things and making changes....I learnedfrom the people there. Alot of young or new volunteers arekeen and wear rose colored glasses - which is good but sometimes you'llfind in the world of animal welfare etc things are not always great.

Many of the people here speak to the issue of money not because theyare preaching but because they have been there, done that.Our rescue spent over $21,00 in vet bills last year....bunnies are notcheap. You know how hard it is to make money, you said you work hardand it's for $5 an hour.....it takes alot to save money.

The issue of spaying & neutering and not having more babiescome into to the world unless you are a well established breeder arefor good reasons....there are just too many bunnies dying each daybecause they have no home. A few weeks ago I had calls frompeople wanting to take their bunnies - there were 47 in one week alone.

Then I get the call from a shelter wanting help with the buns sincethey recenlty *killed 30* of them and don't want to have to do itagain. A few days ago another shelter brought in 3 to be putdown for no reason but space....luckily they found a place togo. Day after day they die while new babies are being sold atPetCetera, Petland ect. How do you think I feel at the end ofthe day....basically if I can't help or find foster homes for them, Iknow they will be killed. It is gut wrenching and verydisheartening. I will do anything to encourage someone likeyourself to involve yourself in way s where you can help and make adifference rather than maybe one day adding to the problem.

I speak to you from the other side of the coin.....I see bunnies dying,being neglected and dumped every day. You are keen and wantto help so please why not consider having your two altered, keepingthem as pets, enjoying themand helping a rescue orshelter. You'll learn lots and feel good about actually beingable to help out. You'll even learn how to care for &treat sick animals so if you are on your own, maybe you'll have abetter idea how to help until you can get to a vet.

Just think about it rather than get mad.

Latest posts

Back