Hello, I’m a total newbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that Rabbits like camomile and rose-hip. I drink the occasional cup of camomile tea and have some high quality loose leaf in my cabinet. Is this a good treat? Or should I just stick to fruit and veggies as treats?

I have to take care where I put the used chamomile bags, when they find one only the string and label, and some debris of the bag remains. I have a few roses in the garden, and feed the petals as treat, also the fruits, but I have to cut them in half or they are ignored. I think flowers are a great treat.
I also try to feed as diverse as possible, so they get some of everything, fruit too.

Another question.

the first few days I had Dortmund, I would have to put out Orchard hay four or five times a day and he would eat all of it. And when I say all of it, I mean he would root around and eat even the small bits that had fallen into his bedding.

Yesterday he stopped eating as much. I only gave him more Hay twice and instead of eating all of it, he spread it around and only ate bits. He was still eating since he ate all of the pellets I gave him (only a small amount), and I only started the pellet thing two days ago.

my question is this...

1) is he jonesing for pellets, so much so that he is ignoring his hay
2) or was he just really hungry before and not so much so now
3) or are there especially good parts of the hay that he is eating and ignoring the rest?
4) maybe he is sick? Though he is still eating, I know this because I gave him a couple slivers of a Mandarine orange Yesterday and he went wild.
5) something else I cant think of?

He can be getting too much of the good food which made him to eat less hay. That’s just normal and you will only feed less treats or pellets to get him to eat more hay.

It’s better to keep an eye on how the droppings look like if they are still eating hay.

The droppings will tell if they get too much of the good, eat enough hay, somethings wrong and so on. Because bunnies are great on hiding their troubles [emoji4]

The link have pictures of droppings and explain the different droppings.

http://www.bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

Yet another question, sorry about this...

It gets coldish here in Iowa, I was thinking about getting a Couple of heating pad for Dortmund and putting them under his cage — especially under the place where he likes to hide. I figured if I set them on low, the heat will radiate through the bottom and he will have a comfy place to sleep.

Am I over thinking this?

It gets coldish here in Iowa, I was thinking about getting a Couple of heating pad for Dortmund and putting them under his cage — especially under the place where he likes to hide. I figured if I set them on low, the heat will radiate through the bottom and he will have a comfy place to sleep.

Am I over thinking this?

Bunnies handle cold better than heat. But I know my indoor bunny low sleeping up on his hide house to get close to the element during autumn and winter.

So maybe he will like having a place to go to and warm up, but not the whole place. Better he can choose to lay on the warmer spot or go to a colder place.

One of my outdoor bunnies rather sleep out in the snow during the winter than sleeping in hutch. So some bunnies like it a bit colder [emoji5]

Fellow Iowan here...

I don't think a heating pad is necessary. Is your bun inside or outside? As said above, bunnies can tolerate the cold better than the heat. Wind and humidity are the things you have to watch out for.

he looks like some kind of lop. he's adorable :)

Because he's inside, I wouldn't worry too much :)

I used to walk my first rabbit on a leash. Some rabbits are ok with it and others want no part of it. Like Alyssa says, a leash is dangerous, so weigh the risk carefully. Yes, dogs, hawks and chemicals like you mention, but also risk of disease ( from wild animals that might have gone through the park) and choking. There is apparently a huge injury risk from choking or even a broken neck when a bun, frightened by an over head airplane or curious dog or some random thing, cause the rabbit to panic. If the rabbit panics, being trapped in the leash and harness cause it even more panic and they can cause themselves serious injury or even death.

The pet strollers that Alyssa mentions look ridiculous but are a much safer way to bring your rabbit out with you. Check out Lenny The Bunny ( google him) and you can see he goes everywhere in his stroller.

I would love to let him roam free, but it isn't an option. I have a small apartment and way way way too many wires. While I work from home, so I can give him lots of attention, I also work in technology and have like 4 computers in my living room alone.

The best i can do is set up a caged in a roaming area and lay down a tarp and fleece.

Same here too. When I'm working I don't want my rabbit coming into my space, cause I don't want to roller over him with my pc chair. For me, it's safety first for my rabbit.

An idea and it may work for, you could get a dog pen and block of areas where you don't want your bunny to go into. Dog pens are heavier and you can take of the clips with pliers and make a wall to what ever length you want. https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Fold...sr_1_4?keywords=dog+pen&qid=1570341196&sr=8-4 You would have your rabbit out (free roaming) and not confined to a cage all day while your working. Wire shelving grid can be used too, but I find the shelving grids to be too light and my rabbit can pick them up. I find them to be great lying up against the wall. You'll find what works for you and your bunny and over time you'll make adjustments to your apartments for your rabbit to run around in. If you have a small apartment you'll probably do better with free roaming bunny. I have 3 floors and my bunny only wants free roam one floor and he prefers to be in a smaller area of my home.

Am I over thinking this?
You can check his ears if they are very cold he's probably a bit uncomfortable but imagine he has a warm coat he won't e cold in your normal room temperature, just keep him away from drafts. If you worry you can give him a hide box stuffed with hay so he can stay warm and you will see if he stays there or not.

He's not hungry because he's getting too much food from you and it is generally not good, he only needs lots of hay and water at all times, dry food is one handful once a day (or give a half of that twice a day) and one portion of green leafy vegetables once a day, it is better he has his schedule when you give unlimited treats and pellets he'll be picky and will get bored of hay which is vital for him. You can keep him on only hay for one day just whenever he comes to you for food give him a little hay ar stuff a toilet paper roll with hay, make some toys with hay or something. Don't give too much attention as he will demand your attention all the time when you are busy too, just think a bit, he needs to know your rules so create ones create a routine for him and follow it, otherwise he will take over and you will have to do everything he'll ask. He needs to know that you're the top manager here and when he accept that you will have good relationship, otherwise he will try to dominate, it is natural so just don't be his slave, don't punish but show him your dominance and give him a timebreak if you think he goes too far with his wants. Good luck!

Don't give fruit/carrot too often just once or twice a week and only thumb-sized

If you decide a leash, try it at hoe, get your bun used to it. If you are unsure about the grass, don't take them at all! Too many risks. I always wanted to take ours but we bun proofed the back yard and we would let them out to run, eat grass, and binky there. It gives them some freedom, space outdoors, but you have to keep watch. There are birds, cats, dogs, etc. Don't leave them alone out there without proper safety measures.

If you want to socialize your rabbit you can try taking him to the pet store...put him in the cart with a blanket on the bottom and walk around...I do it with my buns. Some of mine enjoy the car as well...others, not so much.

Okay, I went out to get some romain lettuce to sub in as a treat for Dortmund instead of the occasional other num num but maybe I made a mistake and got baby romain?

Okay, I went out to get some romain lettuce to sub in as a treat for Dortmund instead of the occasional other num num but maybe I made a mistake and got baby romain?

Romaine is fine for rabbits. If your rabbit hasn't had fresh veggies before, offer him a small amount to see how it agrees with him. You can do this every day and increase it a little bit by day. If your rabbit is getting very runny poo, you can stop for a few days and try again with offering a small amount.

Another question. Sorry for the barrage.

I've set up a little place for him to run around for a couple of hours a day. It isn't much room, but it is the best I can do. Anyway, he seems to avoid his litter box in here. He is fine using the litter box when it is in his cage but when it is on the floor, he just nibbles the hay from it and occasionally uses it as a toy but he doesn't poop in it.

I've set up a little place for him to run around for a couple of hours a day. It isn't much room, but it is the best I can do. Anyway, he seems to avoid his litter box in here. He is fine using the litter box when it is in his cage but when it is on the floor, he just nibbles the hay from it and occasionally uses it as a toy but he doesn't poop in it.
Try to move it into a corner maybe? Rabbits usually use corners as their fav spots.

It is best, if it all possible, to have his running area in a place that he still has access to his cage. Having free access back to his cage will make him feel more secure because he knows he has a place to retreat whenever he feels the need (hears an unfamiliar sound or smell, or just wants to 'go home').

If you are physically bringing him to a place without access to his cage, that isn't ideal. However, he will eventually get used to the box in there. If he isn't peeing on the floor, then he's doing fine. It's pretty normal for them to drop stray poos around a new area to claim it as their own.

Baby gem lettuce is also fine, all green or dark lettuces are fine just avoid Iceberg there's some conflicting information on it some people say it's fine some people say it cause bloating so it is better to avoid.
Just make sure if you are giving him a lettuce leaf taken from your sandwich make sure there's no mayonnaise or any cheese or something on it

Latest posts

Back