Hello, I’m a total newbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty sure Dortmund is Male. He just had sex with my arm. Twice. He is now in his cage contemplating the error of his ways.

Last edited:
He’s getting in the teenage period then, also that behavior can also be a show of dominance. That he’s the boss if you are unlucky, that’s a behavior you don’t want to have [emoji4]

I hope it isn’t a dominance thing. I was petting him and he stated to sniff / lick my hand then he snuffled all the way up my my arm and licked my nose. Then went back down my arm until he found a spot to hop on. At the time I was just glad he didn’t choose my face for his amorous attention.

What should I do to show him I’m the boss. Instead of petting him should I vacuum? Should I watch rabbit hunting videos on the big screen TV just beyond his cage. He doesn’t like the music of Tom Waits but seems to like Taylor Swift, should I play the music I like rather than his choices?

Myself just step away if my bunnies do something they aren’t supposed to do towards me and say no. Like a time out for them.

While I reward the correct behavior. I never punished my bunnies with something they don’t like [emoji4]

He likes you already and he trusts you that's a great job done bonding with him.
You can put your hand on his head and gently push it down and hold for a couple seconds, that's what mother rabbit do to calm her kits down, you can do it every time you want to show he's wrong and you won't tolerate it. You can say No or something you would like him to understand as a No-word.

For showing dominance you can strike him from above and press him to the floor they understand that. One of my rabbits wanted to be free all the time he was constantly chewing and rattling his cage and he'd stop when I pointed my index finger at his nose and said No, Leo stop it, stop it, go eat your food, go eat your food, very good, very good rabbit you eat your food, very good! After a few days he understood even when I just pointed my finger at him he's stop and go to his bowl, very smart rabbit.
Try to give him an alternative way to be good if he's doing something you don't like, so don't simply say don't do it but give him some alternative like don't do that do this instead, and always show that you like that he did what you've asked. Rabbits are extremely intelligent and love verbal support, maybe they understand your voice intonations more than your words but it really works when you use same words/phrases with same intonation and if they get petted after they will remember that. Some people also using treats after but I rarely use food for that they understand words perfectly but it surely won't hurt.

With my rabbits it also works very well when I brush them, even Smokey doesn't like to be picked up but I need to do it sometimes to trim her nails once a month or something, so I pick her up and hold on my lap and brush her coat, and she likes it, I can turn her to get her belly done there's long hair sometimes matting so i just brush it out, and she let me do that or she tolerate nail clipping I wouldn't say she enjoys like my other rabbits but she'd let me do it but after it's done she's very grateful and she loves being groomed just she's a bit defensive. My other rabbits love brushing and that I use to show my dominance too, I turn them the way I need and they let me do anything. You have to show confidence so he understands that you have right to do that.

Last edited:
Maybe you can try to introduce him to Tom Waits slowly, show him some documentary about him or videos from his concerts so he can get used to his voice, or give him just small portions starting with one song on repeat or something. My rabbits didn't like Jurassic Park they still hiding when T-Rex on screen but they tolerate it generally now.

Question: Dortmund has started humming. It is a low quiet sound almost like a bumble bee. Plus he keeps having sex with Moodle the Moose.

He's probably honking, which is done when he's excited or enjoying himself with his moose friend.

Flakes,
I found your post last week in Dortmund and his sex drive. Hilarious by the way. I wanted to let you know you are doing a fabulous job! A lot of new bun owners do what they feel I best and that’s great, by you reached out and asked experienced bun owners. We all had to learn once but it took some of us longer because we didn’t know where to go to ask.
I would look up your state chapter of House Rabbit Society. Mine is 3 hours away but they are phenomenal! I have been given advice and have taken my buns to events a few times. It really helps to have people in your corner and you will see that no question is stupid or crazy! We all love our buns and it is super clear that Dortmund has an amazing bun-dad! Keep up the great work! These little guys are so fun and entertaining!

I'm curious about what part of Iowa you're from. I'm from Northeast Iowa.

Iowa's rabbit rescue (A Home For Everybunny) has events occasionally and if you and Dortmund are interested in any of that stuff, it may be a good idea to check out an event or two and meet some more rabbit people :) I adopted my Evie through them and they're amazing!

Though I'm not actually from Iowa. I was born in Chicago, my parents moved to Boston when I was 1, then to Montreal when I was 4, and Toronto when I was 6 and where I spent most of my life. Then I moved back to Chicago and spent 4 years there, 10 years in Washington DC, 2 years in Minneapolis, and finally I came down to Iowa to take some courses at the University of Iowa. I've been here three years.

Alas, they don’t seem to have a branch in Iowa.
Ah..... go to their main page. There are a lot of articles and helpful info there too. I’m also sure you could call them and they would know about rescues there.
I agree with Alyssa and Bugs, A Home for Everybunny seems to be great!

Though I'm not actually from Iowa. I was born in Chicago, my parents moved to Boston when I was 1, then to Montreal when I was 4, and Toronto when I was 6 and where I spent most of my life. Then I moved back to Chicago and spent 4 years there, 10 years in Washington DC, 2 years in Minneapolis, and finally I came down to Iowa to take some courses at the University of Iowa. I've been here three years.
Wow, you've been all over! I've lived in Iowa my whole life and the same house for 10 years.

Coralville is beautiful! I'll be there tomorrow actually surrendering a bun. That's where the co-owner of the rescue is from. If you ever decide to get Dortmund a girlfriend you'll have lots of buns to choose from!

Welcome to the forum..I’m not a new owner but I am new here too, it’s been a ton of fun getting to know people and share experiences and learn about your bunny..hope to hear more from you soon

Latest posts

Back