Hello, I’m a total newbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on your adorable new bunny. Might be helpful to get him a check up at the vet to get an idea of his age and health status as well as if he has been neutered. There is so much great information on the web for rabbit owners. I really like the house rabbit society for lots of organized information. And of course this forum is great too!
https://rabbit.org/
Oop . Just saw you have vet appointment already! Perfect.

I’m setting up Doetmund’s run in my living room and his cage is in my bedroom. Dortmund isn’t a big fan of being picked up, and doesn’t like being carried. Should I get like a basket or something to carry him in between rooms? And if so, how likely is he to jump out and hurt himself?

I’m setting up Doetmund’s run in my living room and his cage is in my bedroom. Dortmund isn’t a big fan of being picked up, and doesn’t like being carried. Should I get like a basket or something to carry him in between rooms? And if so, how likely is he to jump out and hurt himself?
You can get a pet carrier and use it for bringing him from your bedroom to your living room. You can also use it when visiting your vet or cleaning his cage

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Carrier-Hard-Sided-Suitable-Perfect/dp/B00W9O5LTK

does anyone know what the brown in the bottom right corner of the image is?

A little worried. In his litter box there was some brown stained bedding. It is possible this is vomit — he put a toilet paper roll into his water bowl while I wasn’t looking.

but it could also be something more serious.

Attachments

• 6356696F-8B3F-4465-B799-C5A427DB1F6A.jpeg
    6356696F-8B3F-4465-B799-C5A427DB1F6A.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 20
does anyone know what the brown in the bottom right corner of the image is?

A little worried. In his litter box there was some brown stained bedding. It is possible this is vomit — he put a toilet paper roll into his water bowl while I wasn’t looking.

but it could also be something more serious.

That’s just normal urine, bunnies urine can get quite a color on different beddings. Also it changes color with the food they eat. So eating dandelion leaf or carrots for example will get the urine to become more red/orange [emoji5]

It happened to me when I got my first bunnies
They where two sisters and they where really healthy
Until one morning I came and saw “blood” in there bedding
I freaked out, they looked normal though
And it turned out that it was the dandelion I was giving them that dark orange/red color in they’re pee

yeah, I may have been a little too freaked out. There is a 24-hour vet a couple of miles away and if nobody had gotten back to me, I was planning to take little Dortmund to get checked out. Thanks by the way

Next concern, he is terrified of the vacuum cleaner. When I was cleaning up some orchard grass that got on the floor, he dove into his hiding space and didn’t come out for about 10 minutes. If Dortmund were a dog oe a cat I would find this hilarious, but Rabbits seem more fragile. Is it safe to vacuum around him?

Next concern, he is terrified of the vacuum cleaner. When I was cleaning up some orchard grass that got on the floor, he dove into his hiding space and didn’t come out for about 10 minutes. If Dortmund were a dog oe a cat I would find this hilarious, but Rabbits seem more fragile. Is it safe to vacuum around him?

He can get used to the vacuum if you make a habit of starting the vacuum in another room and slowly working your way toward the cage. Having the vacuum turn on suddenly right by his cage is just too startling for some.

Some bunnies won’t get used with the vacuum cleaner. But it can help with giving something good when starting to clean.

My indoor bunny never got used with vacuum cleaner but if I suddenly drop something he won’t react.

So often when we vacuum cleans he will run away and glare at the vaccum cleaner :)

Yeah, I had developed a decent relationship with the little guy. When I opened his cage up he would stand up on his back legs and look at me. He would let me pet him. That was all before the vacuum cleaner. Now, when I turn on the light and walk towards the cage he runs and hides in his hiding spot. It is sad.

Yeah, I had developed a decent relationship with the little guy. When I opened his cage up he would stand up on his back legs and look at me. He would let me pet him. That was all before the vacuum cleaner. Now, when I turn on the light and walk towards the cage he runs and hides in his hiding spot. It is sad.

It takes time, he’s still a kit. Let him experience a lot and reinforce those memories with something positive.

I know how you feel. Myself own a bunny that’s really scared of humans and would always bite. After owning him for a year I can pick him up whenever I want and flick his nose without him growling or attacking. He will lay down the head so I can pet him, run up to me and say hello and spend hours cuddling.

None of my family noticed him being aggressive, but in the beginning I always got new bruises and wounds from him. That went on for 6 months. I can tell you I wanted to give up many times because of his behavior and how scared he was.

Now he’s one of the cuddles bunnies you can find and when he sleeps, he looks adorable. So I never regrets all the ups and down moment I had with him in the beginning.

D8C0D923-95DB-4240-AAE7-27557FE78DAB.jpg

Myself still don’t have a solid bond with him yet but at least the bond only gets better for every day that goes. And the set backs are no longer as bad as they was before.

You will feel quite the enjoyment, when you think back later. You will see a different individual that have grown trusting you and the bond you have built up.

You will also have some set backs when building your bond with a bunny. But they will always bounce back with a little encouragement and love [emoji5]

Another question, I saw that Amazon sells Rabbit leashes. Are these any good? I wouldn’t mind taking Dortmund to the park and letting him hop around a bit (supervised of course) but I worry about random dogs, chemicals in the grass, the cruel and savage mockery from local cottontails, and hawks.

Last edited:
I'd stay away from a leash. Too many risks imo. If you want to take him out, there are great pet strollers. I have yet to actually try one because right when I get the money something comes up.

On another note, welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Back