GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, but you guys have really been thru themill! Came on here just checking around and was saddened,then gladdened, then saddened again. It is just so horriblewhen a critter kid gets sick! It sounds like things are goingthe right way for right now! My positive thoughts and prayersare winging.

- Dolores

I'm relieved for Carolyn and Tucker, but had another friend call today who's rabbit is going through the same thing :(

Pam

Thank you for your notes Delores, m.e., Stephanie, rabbit girl, and Every One Here! You truly Are The Best of The Best!

Pam,

I truly empathize with that woman. Tell her that in my discussion withKathy Smith, Kathy had said that there was a woman that told her oncethat her rabbit hadn't gone to the bathroom for 2 weeks. It's hard tobelieve, but I just won't give up hope and shall pray for your friend.

You certainly warned us all that this is the time of year for outbreaks of these to happen.

I won't mess around with it anymore and think that hay is doing justthe job. Tucker loves hay, he has a good pellet food, gets papaya everyweek, at least, and groomed. There was no reason for that hairball toget lodged, but low and behold. I hope your friend is encouraged by mystory. Give her my email address and phone number if she wishes totalk. Having you in her corner is her Ace in the Hole. You wereincredible, and your knowledge and the way you say things at such astressful time is a gift and so comforting.

I think the main thing now on my mind is Prevention.

I have come to the conclusion that once a week, Tucker and Fauna willget a dose of pineapple juice and a bit of canned pumpkin in order tokeep things cleaned out, in addition to the unlimited timothy hay, thepapaya, and of course grooming is now something I do every day. Itcan't hurt them if they just get it once a week, and I'm petrified tohave this happen again.
It was key to continue using the NutriCal. After this evening'sdiscussion with Kathy, she said that she suspects the tilted neck wasprobably weakness from not getting what he needed by not eating. Thepulled muscle was a thought too.

You might be interested to know that she's working on another book.Will let you know when it's out. She's open to ideas about what toinclude.

My prayers go out to your friend. That poor thing! I'm so relieved as I do feel it's behind me now.

Thanks for being a pillar of strength, support, knowledge, and love forme this past week. A woman's work is never done. God Bless You for theexample you set.

Love,
-Carolyn

I will most certainly purchase Kathy Smith'snewest book when it comes out! "Rabbit Health 101" has servedas an excellent reference.

I don't know they we canprevent GI stasis any more than wecan prevent the common cold. Keeping stress factors to aminimum, providing a healthy diet, and plenty of fiber willcertainly help to keep a rabbit in good health and resistant to disease.

I certainly hope that you'll be able to kick back and do some relaxingthis weekend Carolyn. You've had a stressful week and theworst should be over. I think the little guy is well on hisway to recovery!

Much Love to both you and Tucker!

(and, of course, to Fauna)

Pam

Pam,

I told her all about you and how you were the one who told me to gether book in a post on this forum. She was very flattered at what yourresponse in the email to me about how you value her opinion.

The funny thing is, is that the pumpkin you give the rabbits has to becanned pumpkin because the processing of it is what the rabbit needs. Ialways think it's best if you use fresh, but in this case, not.

Tucker's poops are 100%. He has his appetite back and is hopping around and his attitude is humble.

I will indeed get my rest. I will sleep well for the first time sincelast Saturday. I'm going to give Tucks another 3 ccs. of pumpkintonight and call it over. Since his poops are back and his eating isup, I don't think he needs my help anymore.
Thank you for guiding me and saving my rabbit's life.

:)
All my love,
-Carolyn

What I used to get Tucker out of this war with GI Stasis.

Simethicone: It's an infants' gas relief drops and you canpurchase it at a pharmacy. The price I paid was $5.27. This helps thegas within the hairball to break down.

Pedialyte: In the baby section of a pharmacy. This helps prevent hydration. I paid $5.53

Papaya Tablets: Has to be the tablets. Papain is the ingredientyou most want from the tablets. You can get these tablets at manygrocery stores, a pharmacy, or a health food store. I paid about $5

Tetracycline: An antibiotic for the bacteria that can build as aresult of the blockage. It can be purchased at a Tractor Supply Companystore for $5 and change. You can get it at feed stores. It's claim tofame is an antibiotic for chickens, cattle, sheep and bees.

NutriCal: A dietary supplement that will keep your rabbit'snutrient supply going while he/she's not eating. It can be purchased atthe same place as the Tetracycline usually. A feed store, TractorSupply, or something of that line for about $10.

Fresh Pineapple Juice: Canned pineapple juice won't do the jobof breaking down the hairball with the acids that fresh pineapple has.Grocery store, of course.

Canned Pumpkin: It has to be canned.

Syringes: At least one 3 cc syringe purchased at pharmacybecause chances are, you'll have to force feed many of the above.

You can use a meat tenderizer that has less sugar, but more salt.You'll find that if you ask 5 different professionals, they're advicewill overlap and what one says isn't what another agrees with.

In the end, it's your call. As Pamnock said to me, you just have togather all the information you can, think of the research and make adecision as to what treatment you'll use.

-Carolyn

Well everyone in this neck of the woods are gladthings turned out good!We will still keep you in our prayers,but Guinevere is glad to hear that Tucker is feeling better.(She is sitting on my feet clucking atm so she is a happybun) You are always there for us Caro, so of course we aregoing to be there when you need us! In as many ways as wepossibly can be =)

Even my fiance was asking about "That sick bun you were telling me about" we are all relieved to see a happier note =)

Canned Pumpkin is a favorite in this household so hopefully it will bein yours too. And Tucks will forgive you after he gets overthe indignaty of being smeared in pineapple juice and all sorts ofother treatments. He knows what you went through to save hislife, which is why he didnt give up when things were grim!

You are his saint =) and many of us feel the same way about you!

Give Tucks a smooch for me, Guin, and Gir... and send one to Fauna too so she doesnt feel left out!

Melissa, Guinevere and Gir

Oh Dear Carolyn,

I'm so glad you'll finally be able to get your rest! I hadn'tbeen on in a few days so had 5 pages to read. Boy the purejoy it was to hear he was finally pooping (only on here would that be ablessing)! Then when I read the post about the head tilt Istarted crying. You and Tucker have been through oneexhausting week, I'm so glad he is doing better.

Tucker you sure are one strong bunny!! Sending you much love and I will still be praying for you.

Shannon

Oh, I'm so thrilled to see this! Last night,seeing as how I never read all the posts before I posted last time, Iwent to bed thinking of poor sick Tucker and of tired Caroyln. Now Iwake up to finish reading these, and find out that Tucks is good and Icould just throw a party! I already confused my parents when I yelled,"TUCKER IS OKAY!" Mind you, I got weird looks and when theyasked who Tucker is, I answered by saying, "Mocha and Spice's Polishcousin." I'm so thrilled about Tucker I just wnat to dance! I hopeyour sleep was a good one and give your little man and Fauna a hug forgood measure.

Indeed, Delores. :)

Mocha and Spice's Polish cousin. *laughs* That's Great!

All of us slept soundly last night.

You'll be happy to know that Tucker continues to eat, drink, and poopwell. I just gave him his last treatment, which was 2 ccs of cannedpumpkin.

In a couple of days, after he's had a chance to calm down over all ofthis, I'll give him a warm bath and put the hairdryer on him, on a lowspeed so that he won't catch a chill. The warm water and a mild soapshould help to clean that pineapple sugar off of him. He may need alittle trim. If he does, I'll take a picture and humiliate him likeRaspberry Swirl did with nakey Sebastian.

I treasure you all for your comments and support.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. (((hug)))

Love,
-Carolyn, Tucker, and Fauna

bunsforlife wrote:
Poor Tucks!

I hope he is doing better!? Our thoughts are still with the poor guy.?I just upped my buns supply of pineapple and gave them another papayatab since it is shedding season.?

Did you try some pumpkin baby food or pie filling Caro?? I heard thatis supposed to be LOADED with fiber and should help clean things out...

Still in our prayers!

Dearest bunsforlife,

So, You were the one that first mentioned the pumpkin. I had to startout and read this post over again. Now that I am able to really take inwhat everyone said, it's even more heartwarming to me.

I think that the pumpkin really helped. As you probably read above, thewoman who wrote the book on Rabbit Health in the 21st Century said, thecanned pumpkin is the best because during it's processing, it providesthe rabbit with what it needs. It also has a lot of fiber in it, whichis what Tucker was missing from all the other things he was getting.

*Big Hug*

Thanks. :)

Love,
-Carolyn

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Didn't I read something aboutpumpkin too? Is there less sugar in it and will it help? I can see yourconcern about the sugar. From what I understand (which is relativelylittle) sugar tends to slow down the system? It would seem like thatwould work against you. Your concern seems well placed but as you said,he earlier, he has to have nutrition. You know him, I'm sure if anyonewould be able to tell what it is that he would need it would be you.The vet can only help to a certain extent. They can arm you withmedical info but from there on out you are as qualified as they are. Ibelieve you told me something along those lines regarding myself nottoo long ago....

Yes, there is less sugar in the canned pumpkin.

-Carolyn

I was warned against using mineral oil because it would stick to the hair.

Just passing along what I learned along the way.

-Carolyn

Just for the record, when I asked Kathy Smith if I should give Tucker yogurt, she replied with a firm, "No."

Buck Jones,

Can you please share with the forum what you said to me the other night on the phone as to why you think she said that?

I will ask Kathy why she was so against the yogurt the next time I talk to her, but I think Buck nailed it as to why.

-Carolyn

m.e. wrote:
Here you go, Carolyn. Gerbera Daisies are my favorite flower, they always bring a smile to my face.

0002554241096_215X215.jpg

My avatar is Tucker in his favorite basket with Gerber Daisies.

Love,
-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
I was warned against using mineral oil because it would stick to the hair.

Just passing along what I learned along the way.

-Carolyn

Mineral oil is not advised because of the serious danger of aspiration which can lead to pneumonia.

Pam :cool:

Latest posts

Back