GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Kathy's book, aspirin or ibuprofencan be used and will also help control pain, however, acetaminophen(Tylenol)is not recommended.

Pam

So noted and will do. Sorryto have bothered you. I should've looked it up in her bookmyself, but I never even thought of the inflammation as still being anissue until you just mentioned it and I don't have the bookhere.

You're very helpful, Pam. Thank you.

-Carolyn

Not a problem -- very tired and brain deadtoday. I'm so exhausted, I keep sitting down occasionally,zoning out and leafing through my new book from Bob Whitman "DomesticRabbits & Their Histories".

Pam

That's great you got the book, Pam! Do you love it?

I didn't think you had brain-dead days. You certainly can'ttell by what you write and all your involved in.

I hope you allow yourself time for a little Rest and Relaxation.

-Carolyn

As one gets older, the frequency of those "brain dead" days increases LOL

Do love the book! -- absolutely awesome! There is no otherpublication on the history of rabbits that can touch this literaryachievement. Mr. Whitman recently suffered a massive heartattack -- very glad to still have him around to enjoy the success ofhis book!

Pam

Glad to hear Tucker is doing well, sorry for not being around much.. still greiving a lot :?
I wish i knew rabbits could have aspirin or ibuprofen for Oreo ..then maybe she wouldn't have been in pain
~pam

pamela227 wrote:
Glad to hear Tucker is doing well, sorry for not beingaround much.. still greiving a lot :?
I wish i knew rabbits could have aspirin or ibuprofen for Oreo ..then maybe she wouldn't have been in pain
~pam

Pam,

We all do the best we can and I'm sure Oreo sensed that.

Pam N.

I'm so sorry, Pamela227. I think about you often and wonder how you are.

As Pamnock said, Oreo knew you did the best you could.

Much Love,
-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Hedoes have skinny little legs. This is the best picture I haveof them at this point; I'll have to keep the camera handy and get abetter shot.

-Carolyn

wow. that is skinny....I like the description of the bunny "running around on dowels"!!!

You should see bub, his legs are like little tree trunks.

Rose

When I had queried Kathy Smith about my thoughtson giving Tucker and Fauna pineapple juice and canned pumpkin eachweek, her response was: "I don't think it would hurtto give the pumpkin/pineapple juice once a week. And I'm trying to getmore information on a pineapple juice treatment that a friend swears by(there is something else that goes with it)."

Anyone know what it would be? Will, of course, let you know when I find out.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

I'm happy to see Tucker is back to his little ol' self. :) Shortlyafter Tucker was outta the woods I had to deal with the same thinghere. LOL! Just my luck. :) Honestly I'm suprised I don't have morerabbits with GI Statis right now in my barn. I sweep the walls and getall the fur out. However thenext day 10 other rabbits havefound room for their fur on the walls. Moulting season lasts about 6months in my barn so I'm glad I don't have 300 rabbits LOL!

~*~Amanda~*~

Tucker's molts last a long time too, Amanda.

My breeder originally was feeding him Heinold. I had switched toBlueSeal because it was locally convenient, but hated it because henever seemed to come out of a molt. I tried Nutreena. It was betterthan BlueSeal, but not as good as I remembered Heinold. I'm back toHeinold, but his molting stage seems to last much longer than when he'snot. I'm going to try Purina next and see what happens.

Realizing that it can travel through the lines of breeding, he just didn't seem to molt as much as a younger rabbit.

-Carolyn

I'm currently feeding Purina right now. I canhandle going through molts but since I've been on Purina I've had anincrease in the litters I've gotton from my does.

~*~Amanda~*~

It just seems to me that some feeds are more effective than others in length of molts. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

BlueSeal was horrible for me, Nutreena a bit improved, Heinold, more improved, so I'm going to see what Purina does.

Anyone's thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

-Carolyn

Pam,

The bummer is that the pineapple juice while it dried up, took Tucker'shair with it. He's bald where it dripped onto his chin. I didn't expectthat. I just hope it didn't hurt him.

The acid in pineapple juice sure does break down the hair!

My poor little baby boy. :( He's so strong.

I'm putting Vitamin E Oil on the raw skin.

-Carolyn

Well at least you know the pineapple juice really does work!

Poor Tucks. He is probably all self conscious now.

But better to have some aesthetic problems rather then still be sick!

Absolutely, bunsforlife!

The alternative was burying him, so a little lost fur isn't a big deal.

I was amazed when I noticed for my own eyes what the pineapple juice does to the fur. :shock:

Hope the vitamin E oil helps him recover sooner rather than later.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Pam,

The bummer is that the pineapple juice while it dried up, took Tucker'shair with it. He's bald where it dripped onto his chin. I didn't expectthat. I just hope it didn't hurt him.

The acid in pineapple juice sure does break down the hair!

My poor little baby boy. :( He's so strong.

I'm putting Vitamin E Oil on the raw skin.

-Carolyn

The hair will quickly grow back and he'll be back to his handsome self:) The pineapple enzymes can't dissolve hair -- that hairloss can happen with any sticky or wet product (even water keeping theskin continually wet).

Pam

Oh Good! Thanks Pam, I feel a lot better. :)

I think he's still absolutely beautiful regardless. Perhaps he has aface only a mother can love at this point and love him I do. He andFauna are my little buddies.

The explanation you gave about their fur and how it could've happenedwith water does help ease my mind a lot. I was hoping that he didn'tfeel a burn when the fur came off. Glad to hear it will grow back soonenough.

Thank you so much.

Love,
-Carolyn

I might have missed this in the pages of thisthread, but Tucker's situation has really got me thinking. Is theresomething besides hay that I can give my rabbits regularly to preventhairballs and other blockages?

After reading so many posts recently like Sebastian eating a flip-flopand Tucker's troubles, I realized I don't know as much about preventingblockages as I thought I did. I will be revisiting those sections in myrabbit care books. Mella will eat pretty much anything she sees andPauly molts like hair is going out of style.

I'd love to learn more about the pumpkin and pineapple juice

Back