G.I. Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just observe. See how it goes today. Even call the Vet if you have to just to see how long you should wait to see results.

If Bruce is active, then something is happening, IMHO.If he wasn't active, then I'd be on the phone with my Vet now.

Understand the worry with the syringe too. Was nervous too when I had to give Nev his meds.

Hoping Bruce poos shows up soon. Know you are worried about your special guy.

Please keep us updated.

K:)

The vet called me to check on how Bruce is, I told them he has not yet gone the bathroom. The vet told me that I shouldn't worry too much as of right now because he hadn't eaten much in the last few days and it might take a little while for him to go the bathroom. They told me to check in everyday, I love my vet :) They are so caring. I just love finding a vet that you really love :) I have bruce out in the living room again and he seems kinda tired I guess, he sleeping under the coffee table.

So bruce is still not really eating much or pooing or urinating. I called the vet and they think I need to bring him in to a emergency vet because they dont have a rabbit vet on call right now. So I'm bringing Bruce out to the emergency vet tonight at 7 when my bf gets out of work because I really don't like driving on the highway. Wish us luck, I am so worried about my baby. He's my bestfriend.

hunterbaby05 wrote:
So bruce is still not really eating much or pooing or urinating. I called the vet and they think I need to bring him in to a emergency vet because they dont have a rabbit vet on call right now. So I'm bringing Bruce out to the emergency vet tonight at 7 when my bf gets out of work because I really don't like driving on the highway. Wish us luck, I am so worried about my baby. He's my bestfriend.

Sending well wishes your way for your Bruce. I was hoping he was doing better today. Please let us know how it goes.

And it's good that you will have someone with you, because Bruce will read your anxiety which could lead to more stress. Bunnies do know our feelings

Will be thinking of both of you.

K:(

We are hoping that the folks at the emergency can help poor Bruce out and hopefully he will start feeling better and pooping tomorrow.
Well wishes

I just got home from the vet with Bruce. They gave him more sub q, a pain injection, and also they took an exray of his lungs, and abnonem. His lungs looked fine because they were concerned at how his lungs sounded but that was fine.

What really concerned me was that they said right off that they were not rabbit savvy. Their exotic vet left a few months ago and I bet my rabbit savvy vet does not know. They said that it his abdonem it looks like it is impacted with gas and they said it was so concerning that they thought surgery would be needed. Do they have a right to say that even though they are not Rabbit savvy? They also wanted to keep him over night and do ultrasounds in the morning but I honestly can't afford to keep him overnight. I'm so concerned and I really hope he gets better. I'll be saying lots of prayers tonight..

I really don't want to lose him, I just lost my dog, my bestfriend, Hunter to cancer 5 months ago. I really don't want to lose Bruce too :(

I thought I'd add what I am doing so far to help him..

Ultra care oxbow syringe:
Mobility drugs every 8 hours
I read that I could try cat hairball remedy so I did that earlier, do you think that is okay? Should I try to give him simiethocone as well?
The vet also told me to start giving him his metacam for pain as well.

How does this sound?

I thought I'd add what I am doing so far to help him..

Ultra care oxbow syringe:
Mobility drugs every 8 hours
I read that I could try cat hairball remedy so I did that earlier, do you think that is okay? Should I try to give him simiethocone as well?
The vet also told me to start giving him his metacam for pain as well.

How does this sound?

So sorry to hear that the emergency clinic no longer has a rabbit savvy vet. And I think it was not right for those vets who have no clue regarding bunnies to suggest surgery.

I haven't every been through a GI crisis here, so I really don't know. I truly wish I could help more. I think what you are doing is helping Bruce. Hopefully someone who's been through this will jump in and help.

Will be thinking of you and Bruce. Hopefully he starts feeling better.

K:(

They gave Benjamin mobility drugs everyday for a week. Bring the dosage down every couple of days. sub q fluids and vitamin B shot to get his hunger and gut going. NO NO NO cat hairball solution. The oil will coat the gut and cause way more problems. Keep syringing food, the gas is caused from the gut being empty. You should be syringing several times a day. Pumpkin and critical care. Don;t allow them to do surgery, especially if they are not rabbit savey. I don't think they really know what they are doing. Keep up the simethecone. Get them to phone a rabbit savey vet.

Thanks so much for the replys! I gave him pumpkin, some cilantro, and I have been syringe feeding him several times a day 1-2 syringe fulls each feeding. Is that okay? I should bring down the dosage of the mobility drugs?? I think I will call my regular vet and ask about the vitamin B shot. Bruce still has pooed but he seems more active and is eating some hay and he ate a little pumpkin earlier.

no, they will tell you when they want to wean him off the mobility drugs. Keep really pushing the food, it is what will fill his gut up and get rid of the gas. Phone about the vitamin b shots. Remember absolutely no cortison for rabbits!!! They may want to try that but it is deadly.

Bruce just pooed but it was diarraeha ( cant spell, lol) is this better than nothing? I think I should start syringe feeding him water as well. Thanks for all the info and advice!! :)

I agree it means things are starting to move. Clean him up and keep the food going. I would still ask for Vitamin B, that will definitely get the appetite going. They will keep him on the mobility drugs for a while yet. Trying to think how they weaned Benjamin. I think once things really started to move, it was every other day, then every 3 days and then couple more times and off. Ask you vet.

Thankyou so much for the replys :) I keep on syringe feeding him the oxbow and syringe feeding water as well! It seems to be helping especially after I started forcing water, he seems more active. I put him on a towel when I syringe feed and I noticed more diarahea but then also one piece of little soft poo :) I hope these are all good signs for my lil baby :)

:pray: Praying for your lil' man~

So I found some more poos that are not normal but they are formed!! I want to do a happy dance, but I'm not sure if I should get too excited yet!!

Sorry to keep posting but I am getting excited! He just passed a few more weird looking but formed poos! He also passed this jelly looking type of stuff. It is yellow it looks like jelly I felt with toilet paper and moved it around and It had poo inside of the jelly stuff. Is that bad? I'm glad he passed it because it didn't look good.

Don't be sorry about posting updates. So glad that he passed whatever needed to be passed. I would think the jelly stuff definitely needed to leave. Keep doing what the vet said and all the great advise Alma gave you. With that, you are getting him through this.

Thinking of Bruce

K:)

Latest posts

Back