G.I. Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterbaby05

Reaction score
So I believe my flemish giant has come down with G.I Stasis.. he had this once before but that was atleast 6-8 months ago.. anyways I have given two doses of simethecone one today and one last night.. 1cc's each dose. He has gotten a bit better so he will not let me give him anymore and I don't want to upset him. I also have been massagaing his belly and I can feel and hear the gas bubbles. He has pooed a little bit, just tiny little poos but a lot of them. He will not eat, but I gave him a Cilantro leaf and he ate it, is it bad to give him that while he has gi stasis? He won't eat anything else... I also want to add that Bruce does not eat hay, I always offer it but he never eats it, I just ordered some hay online from binky bunny that I want to try with him.. He is on a timothy based pellet. I had him out for a few hours and he had a binky or two :) I just get so worried because I know how fast they can go downhill.. What does everyone think? Should I try and give him more simithicone?

It sounds like you're doing everything right to me. Just try to get him to eat, it doesn't matter what. You can try force feeding him if he won't eat. You can give him another dose in a few hours if he doesn't start eating. It's a good thing he's pooping though.

I don't think you are giving the simethicone often enough. Check the library, usually it is one full dropper every 2 hours to begin with. Try canned pumpkin, and get him eating. Cilantro is good, try some fresh lavendar, I hear Brandy using it on Becky. You want to get him eating as much as possible, so try again with the critical care. Put some pineapple juice in his water. Try and get hold of I_love_Fraggles, Minilophop or Pipp as they are all experts on GI Statis. Good luck

Thankyou for the reply's! I have a print out of the GI stasis that I always go by and it does say every hour for 3 hours then every 2-3 hours I believe? The problem I'm having is I can't get him to take it with the syringe, he fights me everytime and I don't want to sress him.. Should I really try harder to get him to? Any suggestions? I'm so worried, I just checked on him now and he hasn't pooed since earlier today.

Wrap him in a towel like a burrito. If he has not pooed for that long you really need to get him to a vet, the sooner the better. GI statis is deadly and not something to fool around with. They put him on mobility drugs, antibiotics, sub-Q fluids and force feed. Flemish giants despite their size can go down hill and bottom out quickly. Not to scare you, but get him to a vet.

I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow first thing. He doesn't seems well right now and the emergency vet around here doesn't do bunnies. I'm so worried. Hopefully he will be okay until the vet tomorrow morning.

How's he doing this morning? Did you give him the metacam last night? Has he started to poo for you?

K:)

I didn't give him metacam, I wasn't sure if I should. He's doing okay today. He still is not eating much and drinking very little. He finally urinated this morning which I was happy about but he is not pooing much at all and his poos are not normal. He has a vet appointment at 3:15 but I wish it was sooner. Right now he's hopping around the living room because I'm sure its better for him to keep moving. I actually had to call in to work but my parents said my manager would be mad if I told her it was because I had to bring my bunny to the vet lol. So I said it was a family emergency, I wish I didn't have to lie about it, but this is really important to me...

hunterbaby05 wrote:
I didn't give him metacam, I wasn't sure if I should. He's doing okay today. He still is not eating much and drinking very little. He finally urinated this morning which I was happy about but he is not pooing much at all and his poos are not normal. He has a vet appointment at 3:15 but I wish it was sooner. Right now he's hopping around the living room because I'm sure its better for him to keep moving. I actually had to call in to work but my parents said my manager would be mad if I told her it was because I had to bring my bunny to the vet lol. So I said it was a family emergency, I wish I didn't have to lie about it, but this is really important to me...

First of all, in the Bunny World, our bunnies are family members, so I don't see any lie.

Definitely good for him to be moving around. Hopefully you can get some answers from the Vet.

Please keep us updated.

I brought bruce to the vet and they gave him sub q and also Metoclopramide which the vet said will help get his gi tract going which I have to give to him every 8 hours. He seems less lethargic, and also the vet showed me a easier way of syringe feeding him which is a lot better than what I was doing. The vet also said for me to force feed him the oxbow ultra care every few hours. He is yet poo but maybe it just takes some time. She also felt around his belly and didn't feel any mass which was very good. She was telling me of a rabbit earlier who had a huge mass in his belly. So I am hoping bruce poos soon because I am still very worried. I guess I can rest knowing I am doing all I can for him.

Once the mobility drugs start to work and he starts to eat, the poos will come. Did she suggest another does of fluid tomorrow? Pretty scary how fast these guys can go down hill. Flemish giants seem to be a bit prone to this, so really start pushing the hay. When I had Derby in to the vet today for his pre surgery checkup for neutering the vet told me that a good 90% of their diet should be a good quality timothy hay and the other 10% fresh food and pellets. If he is not doing really well tomorrow take him back and ask for another sub q fluid and a shot of B vitamins. The B vitamins will stimulate his appetite and gut.

They did not suggest another dose of Sub q, but they did say that if he didn't improve to call them.. bruce is my only bunny who refuses hay, I've tryed so many types and he never eats it, I always offer him it but he almost never eats it. Just the other day I ordered orchard hay and oat hay from binky bunny so maybe he will try it atleast. Any other suggestions for hay? I really think him not eating hay is why this happened. Thankyou everyone for all the replys, its been so helpful! :)

Have you tried just giving him hay at times and taking the pellets away for certain periods of time during the day. I know that when they are little and growing it is suggested that you free feed them pellets. But most vets are getting pretty infatic about hay and really reduced pellets. Try spraying his hay with apple juice and only give him the hay. Try mixing some pellets into the hay. Timothy or alfalfa compressed hay blocks. Only suggestions I have. I have found that Derby really likes the oat hay. Oxbow makes some exoctic blends with different flowers etc in it. Try going on line and see if any of the other rabbit breeders or house rabbit societies have any suggestions. Just type in how to get a fussy rabbit to eat hay.

Glad to hear there is no mass or blockage. I think Alma gave a lot of excellent ideas on trying to get Bruce to eat hay. Hay is so important for bunnies keeping their digestive system constantly going.

Please keep us updated on Bruce. Hoping he's on his way to feeling like his ole self again.

Thankyou so much for all the helpful information. I will try your ideas Alma, and alsoo start some researching :) Thankyou so much. We rescued Bruce because he was abandoned in a neighborhood. Wherever his previous home was, I don't think they gave him much, he was so thin, he didnt even know what a carrot was!! Sorry to go off topic but he is just so special to us. :) Thanks for everything RO :)

He seems more energetic but he has still not pooed since yesterday morning which is really concerning! So far he has had 3 doses of the mobility drugs and I'm so worried!! I have been force feeding him oxbow and I use the syringe but i am very worried about it aspirating! I put the syringe in the side of his mouth and squirt it somewhat slowly, but I worry about that! I love him so much I'm thinking maybe I should take him to the vet again tomorrow? I guess i'll have to see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back