G.I. Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jelly is mucous from his gut and bowels being irritated. Good for him to get it out of there. Also might be a bit of the petroleum from the cat hair ball stuff you gave him?? At least I think you gave him a little. Once things start to move and you keep the food going, encourage him to eat whatever it is he usually does, then if he doesn't just keep up the critical care and pumpkin until he is really interested in chowing down on his own. You will be amazed how incredibly hungry he will be once he gets a vitamin B shot. The news is really positive. Go Bruce.

You need to start him on some probiotics tomorrow if you can. Benebac - (Petco or Petsmart should have it), to start reseating his gut. We also have to find a way to get this guy eating hay, he needs the fiber and rufage. Have you tried putting hay in his litter box. I put paper litter down for Derby, cover it with hay, go heavy with the hay towards the front of the litter box, as that is usually where it will stay clean. Most rabbits like to munch and poo at the same time. Some of our rabbits were not big hay eaters, but once you introduced it to their litter boxes, they seemed to enjoy it more. Kinda like a good book in the toilet. lol You will need to change your litter box about every 3 days depending on how soiled it gets. I save the clean hay from the front, recycle that onto the paper litter and then add more fresh hay in front. If that doesn't work, try the tube trick where you put hay in a paper tube and they will usually play and eat some. Derby is not as keen on that as the litter box thing.

Alma, I want to thankyou so much for all your help. I will most definitley go out and get the benebac, I was just researching it, sounds like it will really help him!! Right now I let him out again to walk around he did a few poos and also more mucus! I'm hoping hes on the mend! Thanks RO!!

No problem, let him get lots and lots of exercise today, that will also help thing get back on track. Nose bonks and hugs from Derby and I. You may want to check out Derby's photos, Auntie Susan and Daisy Mae posted on Bunny Chat - " I just don't believe it!!!! what is going on?" that way you and Bruce will know who you is talking to. lol

I just gave bruce some of the Benebac. It was powder formed and it said 1-5 pounds and at 5 pounds to give him 1 teaspoon? bruce weighs 12 pounds.. do I need to give him more? He loved it by the way!!

The way I'm interpreting the instructions you read, at 5 lbs give a teaspoon. So any rabbit over 5 lbs, as Bruce is 12, I would get 1 teaspoon, that's it. When's the next time you give it to him? Is it once a day?

Hoping someone who used this product, can give you some help. I've heard and read about it but never used it myself. But really want to know how too.

Thinking of Bruce.

K:)

Thankyou so much for the reply and also for helping so much in this tough time for Bruce & I :) It says on the package to give it on days 1,3,5, and 7. I hope this helps my baby. Today he did a couple of poos but his litter pan was filled again with urine, which must be a good sign!!

Never used it but I would have interpreted the instructions as 5 pounds to give 1 teaspoon and since Bruce is 12 pounds I would have given him 2 teaspoons, especially since he has had a long session of statis.I checked the library under GI Statis and although it suggests using Benebac doesn't give the dosage. It is only probiotic, I really don't feel that 2 teaspoons would hurt him, as it simply adds friendly bacteria back into the gut. Just my thoughts. Glad to hear he is pooing. Did you get him to eat some hay??

Although he has eaten a few pieces of hay, he has not eaten much. I put some hay in his potty and he seems to just move the hay around and pick it up and throw it. I'm still waiting for the oat hay and the orchard hay to come in the mail, so hopefully that will interest him a little more.. Thankyou everyone for all your input!! :)

Just wanted to say thanks to RO :) bruce is doing a lot better thanks to all the information I learned from fellow RO'S :) Thanks so much!

Bruce is still not pooing as much as he used to, but I guess it will take time? He's doing a few per day. Last night he did about 9 poos and today he's done about the same maybe a lil less. He's not peeing as much as he should either. But he is acting more himself. He has lots of energy! I have to say a big thanks to Alma for giving me advice to give Bruce Benebac because that is when he really started improving! Thanks so much! Bruce thanks you too! He is feeling much better and I hope he keeps improving!!

I think I can do the happy dance now!!

:yahoo:

Finally just read this entire thread and was on pins and needles for poor Bruce the whole time.

Vicky I am glad he is doing better and what a great learning tool this thread is should (god forbid) anyone else's buns go through this.

So happy for Bruce!! :)

Thanks again for the replys! I am so excited that he's on the road to recovery!! I learned so much about GI Stasis from posting this and will carry with me through out my life as I know I will have bunnies all my life :) Today bruce's Oat hay came and I put the bag on the ground and bruce came right up and started eating it out of the bag! I was so happy! He then ate more in his cage and my 5 other bunnies also loved it as well!! :) I love my bunnies forever :inlove::heartbeat: oh and this one reminds me of Bruce the flemish lol :) :runningrabbit:

I am really thrilled that he likes the oat hay. From the read out I just printed from http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/hay.htm Oat hay has 8.6% protein, timothy 6.9% and oat hay has 0.29 % calcium ( good stats on that ) and timothy grass hay has 0.34-0.45 There is always a great concern on the calcium content of hay so these are good. He will get better in leaps and bounds now he is eating hay. I would keep up the benebac for awhile yet. Hugs and nose bunks.

So thrilled to hear! Thanks so much for posting!

I have to say I learned so much from this thread. Thanks Vicky for sharing this because I learned a lot about GI: it's symptoms, how to treat (Thanks Alma), and how to get your bunny thru a very painful ordeal.

And to Bruce, thank you for teaching me what a Flemish really is thru Vicky's loving words. May this painful ordeal be a thing of the past for you and hoping you continue enjoying life being the Big Guy of the Tribe.

gmas rabbit wrote:
I am really thrilled that he likes the oat hay. From the read out I just printed from http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/hay.htm Oat hay has 8.6% protein, timothy 6.9% and oat hay has 0.29 % calcium ( good stats on that ) and timothy grass hay has 0.34-0.45 There is always a great concern on the calcium content of hay so these are good. He will get better in leaps and bounds now he is eating hay. I would keep up the benebac for awhile yet. Hugs and nose bunks.

Thanks Alma, very interesting read. Neville and Luna would benefit from the Oat hay because it's not just for picky eaters, but helps during moulting.

I just gave him some pellets tonight ( Only a handful) and he jumped right in :) I didn't want to give him too much right after having stasis, hopefully thats ok? I found one poo in his cage tonight that looked weird, it was really really long, is that bad? I love him so much, he is such a lovebug. Thansk all for posting :) Karen & Alma you were of such help with awesome advice, information & support during this difficult time :) Thankyou so much!! I just wanted to post this video I made of Bruce a while back. In the first picture of Bruce in the video, we had no idea he was a flemish, we thought he was full grown.. until he kept growing, and growing, and growing LOL! Anyways, we love him so much & we are so happy he is feeling better!! Thanks!!

Edit: forgot the link, lol... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyH7vV5aII0&list=UU4QOxXQ7jjkwyfsB3LrSBSw&index=6&feature=plcp[/ame]

:) Peace,love,nose bonks & binkys :)

Latest posts

Back