Fresh Water Fishes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new fish!
I can't help but think though... that seems like a lot of fish for a 5 gallon. :huh

Happi Bun wrote:
Congrats on the new fish!
I can't help but think though... that seems like a lot of fish for a 5 gallon. :huh
No, No all these fish are for the 20 gallon... I have a 5 and a 20....lol

You better watch the water quality for the next few weeks. Thats a lot of fish to add at one time to a non cycled tank. Over the next few days you are going to have to start doing water changes to keep that ammonia down so it doens't kill off your fish.

What exactly do you mean by "neon" fish that are pink, yellow and orange? Are they all the same species but different colors, or have a stripe of neon coloring in them?

I'm guessing your "neon" fish beginning with a D are "GloFish," a transgenic variety of Danio. Do they look like this? If yes, you should probably get at least one more as they do best in groups of 6+ and tend to fin nip worse when living in smaller groups.

They may nip at your dwarf gourami, so make sure the tank is densely planted (gouramis require a densely planted tank, anyways). You're going to have to figure out a good balance between the needs of danios and the needs of gouramis; they aren't very good tankmates. Danios prefer fast currents and cooler temperatures (upper 60's to mid 70's), whereas gouramis prefer stagnant water and warm temperatures (upper 70's to low 80's).

I hope your algae eaters are not chinese algae eaters, but either way I'm concerned. Otos, cories, etc. do best in large groups, so if you got either of these types of fish and have only two, they are in a very inappropriate social grouping that will result in chronic stress. Conversely if you got some kind of pleco or a chinese algae eater, the former will most likely grow large enough to overstock your tank, and the latter will not only lead to overstocking but will also eventually mature and start attacking your other fish.

Honestly, I find your post kindof disheartening. People in this thread have strongly suggested that you thoroughly research fish care, yet you don't even know the names of two of the species you bought, which suggests to me that you did not research each species individually before purchase. This seems further evinced by the blend & number of fish species purchased, and the fact that the tank was not cycled and a very large volume of fish were immediately added.

I do hope you read up more on the species you've purchased and monitor your tank environment closely now that it is set up.

I'm guessing your "neon" fish beginning with a D are "GloFish," a transgenic variety of Danio. Do they look like this? If yes, you should probably get at least one more as they do best in groups of 6+ and tend to fin nip worse when living in smaller groups.

I had forgotten about Glofish since they are illegal in canada. I was thinking she bought some type of dyed or inject danio, but glofish definitely fit the color scheme.

I agree with Randomwiktor, you need to do more research before buying anymore fish. Getting fish and an aquarium involves just as much, if not more work and research then other pets. You wouldn't go out and just buy a rabbit(atleast I hope you wouldn't) without doing your research, fish shouldn't be any different. Fish are not throw away pets.

Did you buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Research the nitrogen cycle?

hmm...the algae eaters...if those are plecos you need to return them. plecos are most times useless and if you have a common they can reach 24" and turn into poop machines that dont do anything useful. look into ONE bristlenose plecos, a couple clown plecos, or even a small group o f 4-5 corys. i like corys due to the fact they can help with food that falls to the ground. you dont need an algae eater if your tank is healthy. ghost shrimp are an amazing addition as well, very interesting little things. :)

and glofish are just a danio, which are cold water fish. they can also be aggressive.

do your research...or your no better than the people who abuse dogs or cats or rabbits. fish are not replaceable animals like people would like to beleive.

degrassi wrote:

I had forgotten about Glofish since they are illegal in canada. I was thinking she bought some type of dyed or inject danio, but glofish definitely fit the color scheme.

I agree with Randomwiktor, you need to do more research before buying anymore fish. Getting fish and an aquarium involves just as much, if not more work and research then other pets. You wouldn't go out and just buy a rabbit(atleast I hope you wouldn't) without doing your research, fish shouldn't be any different. Fish are not throw away pets.

Did you buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Research the nitrogen cycle?
Yes i bought all the test for both tanks to tes them with

fuzz16 wrote:
hmm...the algae eaters...if those are plecos you need to return them. plecos are most times useless and if you have a common they can reach 24" and turn into poop machines that dont do anything useful. look into ONE bristlenose plecos, a couple clown plecos, or even a small group o f 4-5 corys. i like corys due to the fact they can help with food that falls to the ground. you dont need an algae eater if your tank is healthy. ghost shrimp are an amazing addition as well, very interesting little things. :)

and glofish are just a danio, which are cold water fish. they can also be aggressive.

do your research...or your no better than the people who abuse dogs or cats or rabbits. fish are not replaceable animals like people would like to beleive.
We didnt get any Common Plecos because they said we didnt need one with the new tank

RandomWiktor wrote:

They may nip at your dwarf gourami, so make sure the tank is densely planted (gouramis require a densely planted tank, anyways). You're going to have to figure out a good balance between the needs of danios and the needs of gouramis; they aren't very good tankmates. Danios prefer fast currents and cooler temperatures (upper 60's to mid 70's), whereas gouramis prefer stagnant water and warm temperatures (upper 70's to low 80's).

I hope your algae eaters are not chinese algae eaters, but either way I'm concerned. Otos, cories, etc. do best in large groups, so if you got either of these types of fish and have only two, they are in a very inappropriate social grouping that will result in chronic stress. Conversely if you got some kind of pleco or a chinese algae eater, the former will most likely grow large enough to overstock your tank, and the latter will not only lead to overstocking but will also eventually mature and start attacking your other fish.

Honestly, I find your post kindof disheartening. People in this thread have strongly suggested that you thoroughly research fish care, yet you don't even know the names of two of the species you bought, which suggests to me that you did not research each species individually before purchase. This seems further evinced by the blend & number of fish species purchased, and the fact that the tank was not cycled and a very large volume of fish were immediately added.

I do hope you read up more on the species you've purchased and monitor your tank environment closely now that it is set up.
We did not get the chinese algea eater either..

What type of mouth does the "siamese algae eater" have? Is a sucker mouth(attaches to the side of the tank) or a regular looking mouth.

If thats your algae eater(with a sucker mouth) you bought a Chinese algae eater. Thats not good. CAEs get big, are aggressive and can harm your other fish by sucking on their bodies.

A true Siamese algae eater looks vaguely similar but doesn't have a sucker mouth. The differences are best described in this article http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ . Sometimes "flying foxes" are sold as siamese algae eaters or there is also a "false siamese algae eater".

The only one that is really an acceptable fish for algae eating is the "true siamese algae eater" Crossocheilus siamensis. But they can be hard to find and you have to know what you are looking for to ID them correctly.

mistyjr wrote:
so they are the siamese eaters
Did you look through that article to ID it properly? just because it doens't have a sucker mouth doens't mean its a true Siamese algae eater.It could also be a fying fox or a false siamese algae eater.

Does the black stripe extend through to the edge of the tail fin or end at the base of tail(no black in the fin)? Is there a gold stripe above the black stripe or is the top part(above the black stripe) one solid olive green/brown?

Siamese algae eaters get 6" and prefer to be in groups which makes them ill suited for a 20g.

mistyjr wrote:
This is the algea eater that we have.. He/she haves the right markings as this one. Also name as Crossocheilus Siamensis..
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/19492
The algae eater labeled in that pic as a "Crossocheilus Siamensis" actually isn't. Its actually an Otocinclus. This is the problem with fish IDing. You can't rely on labeled pics on the internet, except from certain reliable sites(like the Krib article I posted). That is someone's personal fish picture and they have it mislabeled.

If you have the same fish as the one in the pic, it would be about 1 1/2- 2" long and it would have a sucker mouth(sticks to the glass). Otocinclus also need to be in groups.

Is it possible to get a pic of your actual fish?

I can try get a picture of him... But if that is what it is. I read it can take over a year or so to get big. So I can always get a bigger tank like 55 gallon.. It wont be no problem getting a bigger tank

Latest posts

Back