Fresh Water Fishes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betta Fish! :hearts:

This is Castiel aka Cas

DSCF0058.jpg

i used to have lots of those... They are pretty but they alway died on me with in a few weeks

I love fish and have 10 aquariums :) If I really had to choose my favorite fish would have to be the angelfish. It was the first type of fish I owned and nothing is prettier or more elegant then a big planted tank full of angels. My second favorite type of fish is african cichlids. A tank full of africans(specifically malawis) can't be beat for color, bright yellow, blues, reds.

Why do you want to know? Are you planning an aquarium?

Yes, I bought me a fish tank and i dont know what i want.... i like angel fish too!! But they didnt have any at my local store..

How big is your tank? Is it heated?

I have a betta in a 5 gallon tank here at school.
At home I have a 20 gallon with some cory catfish and an assortment of tetras.

I have a 20 gallon... I wanted the 55 gallon but my hubby wouldnt let me.. And no heater,, If you keep the light on all times you dont need a heater... I also have a 5 gallon that haves 1 neon tetra and an algea eatter and some kind of funky catfish.

I dunno how warm you keep your house, but in our house in CA in the winter we definitely need a heater or it'll drop down to about 60... assuming you want to keep tropical fish.
You can keep say goldfish at cooler temperatures though.
Not to mention the fish need some darkness at night.

I'm a big fan of schooling fish. I'd never have just one neon, because I love to watch my neons school.

I really like mollies and platies too.

Well see my smaller tank i kept on buying more neons but they would all die on me except the one that still in there. And he was the only one that i bought after 3 times buying more... So i know about keeping more then one fish but some reason they kept dying... I hate goldfish, They are ugly!
I have hiding places for the fish to hide in at any time. and have plenty of plants too!! I used to fish tanks all my life just dont know what to keep this time...

Have you cycled your tank yet?

We don't put real plants in our tank. As much as I'd love to, the upkeep is just too much for my mom to do on her own while I'm off at college.

We havent set it up yet.. My hubby had to work so we will do it after he gets done with work. i can never keep live plants either... We are letting the water sit until 2morrow we also have the start stuff for the tank...

I'm not sure what you mean by "start stuff" but you do realize it's really important to cycle (fishless or with a few hardy fish) to set up the appropriate nitrogen, ammonia an bacteria balance in your tank.

i know that... that is why we arent getting no fish right now. The pet store told us to wait until 24 hrs.. The start stuff takes stuff out of the water when you first set up.

I love goldfish and betta fish. :)

I only have 2 bettas right now, cuz both my males died. :( I'm going to get some healthier males, though. I like them better anyhow.

My favorite goldfish was the one I won at fair one year; her name was Isabella, Izzie for short. She lived to be almost a year old and then she passed away.

Emily

Bettas and goldfish are my favorite too :)

If properly cared for bettas can live up to five years.

Goldfish can easily live into their teens and some longer if given enough space, food and good clean water.

I had an female betta for alittle while but she passed away i think its because the male died first... and no they never fighted or anything...

i have seen a white with red tip betta fish at a pet store...it was so beaaaautfuil... The purple double fins are pretty too

The colour for a red-tipped betta is Cambodian Red. My girl Rosie is a Cambodian Red. I actuallywasn't looking to get any new fish when I saw her, but I had been previously talking with other fish owners about Cambodian's and when I saw her I knew I must have her!

My local Wal-Mart no longer sells Bettas, so I either have to get them at the Wal-Mart closer to Olympia, or I will probably have to order from breeders via the internet. I wouldn't buy a betta from Petco/Petsmart. Too many health problems... worse than the bettas at Wally World.

Emily

Just a tip, most of those cycling solutions you can get at the pet store do not work. The bacteria are live and the only solution that really works that I know of is kept refrigerated and only has a 6 month shelf life (I forget the name). True cycling can take weeks. Here is a great article about fish-in cycling... http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
And here is a good article describing what the Nitrogen Cycle is: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling2.htm

Without a properly cycled tank, your fish will die. This may be why you lost so many bettas. I'd also recommend a heater if you want to keep any tropical fish as they require warmer temperatures to survive (bettas like it around 78 degrees F for example). If you want to do things 'the right way' you should get a heater, a test kit, and a thermometer if you don't have one already.

I have a 5 gallon and a 20 gallon long tank. I really like guppies and cory catfish. Cories need to be in groups as they like to school and are very social...they also need 10gal+.

Latest posts

Back