For peppa and georgie and anyone else who likes the big buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
[align=center]Here's your pics :D

For everyone else

This is Dumbo (bet you can't guess why he's called that).

He is currently in RSPCA Ipswichlooking for a new home.

He will need a minimum of 50sqft permanent access which for an inside bun means that basically he needs his own rabbit safe room. For an outside bunny he would need a 50sqft enclosure (although ideally bigger) and a girlfriend.

Dumbo is a digger and a chewer so we don't recommend he goes to a home unless he has a base that he can be put in when he is being a pain.

He was found as a stray which means his age is unknown, but to me he acts like a young bunny, and looks young too, so I would expect him to get bigger.

He is a real people rabbit and loves a fuss and strokes.

I promised p&g I would get her some more pics of him so thought i would post them here so others could see too :) Most of them are not wonderful because I was taking them quickly, but some are lovely.

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080-1.jpg

082.jpg

(I got tooth purrs for my efforts with the next one)
083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

087.jpg

088.jpg

089-1.jpg

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

094-1.jpg

095-1.jpg

096-1.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101-1.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

I left this one to last because its absolutely my favourite.
102.jpg

[/align]

:| Because I have 16 buns who already need me :p

Seriously though, I would love him. the ease with which he tooth purrs is gorgeous and he is such a case. However, there is no space here to meet the requirements that he would actually need and I couldn't give him all he needs. He is far better off going to someone who can.... maybe peppa and georgie :D

Oh my goodness! :( If I was closer!

My heart definitely is taken by the bigger bunnies! :) I love love love the larger breeds.. I would have a whole herd of french lops if I could!

I can't see him a cute because he's just too big to be cute.

He is soppy :D and lovely :D and a case :D But with ears that could make him fly in this windy weather we've been having, I just can't quite see him as cute :D

Oh flashy he is lovely how gorgeous. Those ears are amazing arent they. He looks lovely xx tell me more stories about him lol he looks a bit sad in the eyes like he needs big cuddles x last pic def really perfect that should be like his profile pic x x so do you think they will consider me? xx

Oh meant to ask also, it says he is a digger and a chewer, does he just chew all plastic (like the green tray in the pic lol) or does he chew carpet too.
we have wood laminate floor with rugs. Would idealy like him inside wiht us all xx

I mentioned I had someone from Oxford interested in him and they said that in itself wouldn't be a problem.

So really its more a case of passing the home visit and then getting him I guess. For the home visit I can tell you exactly what you need and if you could send me pics of the set up when its done that would be great.

I still haven't got my laptop back so still can't send you the info sorry.

I don't know much about him.

He is in a completely inadequate size pen for his size, it's smaller than buns smaller than him unfortunately.

For the Pet Awareness Day the other week i had him out and he loves snuggles and whilst he was ok with me stroking him, I got some nice little nips on my leg when a little girl stroked him, although he sat there as good as gold.

I then put him on the chair next to me and he's digging it and tugging it with his teeth, and yesterday he was digging the hay, so its safe to say he is a digger and a chewer (hence needing the whole rabbit proof room).

He's a real lover.

Maybe next time I'll go I'll take a video recorder and get some video?

I don't know about carpet but would suspect he would given I've seen him do it with other materials. I would suspect he would dig your rugs too.

He comes across as very young (he's very enthusiastic about whatever he is doing and very interested in everything, but has the smallest attention span) so that may change when he matures, but obviously, it may not.

That description about him being young etc is soooo funny as it pretty much describes my three little boys lol xxx
Ok cool yes if you could let me know what i would need to do.
Peppa and georgie are now totally free range, and i would plan with a big bun to either start if in the summer with him free range in our garden as we have a huge playhouse on our patio they could live in and use the patio as a bonding area with peppa and georgie. I would eventually want him to bond with my two. If outside was not suitable He could have the full hall,kitchen and utility whilst my two stay confined to large living/dinning room untill bonding is complete. Obviously as determined as i would be one way or another to bond them it may still not work out so i would have to keep them seperate. If i took on a large bunny and he couldnt bond with mine and had to live in house in garden i would then get them a mate and not leave them alone. What sort of pics would you need do you think x

Ok. As a home visitor we have to look for worst case scenario so this is based on all the risks.

If he is free range in your garden the home visitor would be looking to see if there are any ways he could escape or if there is the risk that predators could get in, even though he is a bigger bunny. Do you have cats/foxes etc around? Does the fence go down deep enoguh so that he couldn't dig out?

You would also need to ensure that there are no poisonous plants in your garden because obviously we don't want him to eat them and be poisoned. You would also need to look at things like garden chemicals if you have them around.

How big is the playhouse? We wouldn't advocate allowing him outside all through the night but we do only rehome to 50sqft of permanent access which means he needs a minimum of 50sqft all the time. Does the Playhouse have a floor space of 50sqft or more?

Bonding on the patio sounds like a good place to start, although I would suggest using some sort of enclosed run when doing it so that if anything goes out of control they are in a localised area and are 'grabbable' if necessary (rabbits fights can move around quite quickly, especially if there is chasing involved and the smaller the space, the better).

If he is inside, like i have said before, he needs he own space. He doesn't have to be there all the time, far from it, but we rehome to the rabbit having a base just in case they become a pickle and cause chaos.

For some people that might be a full room, for some it might be a blocked off area of a room, or the area under the stairs, or it might be something like the hallway where you have stair/puppy gates on all doors and it is completely safe and when he is having a destructive time, there is nothing in there that would cause problems (to him or you) if he was to dessimate it.

If he were to live permanently outside then he would need a friend if he didn't bond with P&G, but if he didn't bond with P&G and stayed inside he wouldn't need a friend.

We are also more flexible with the size when it comes to being a hosue rabbit because we know they will get more attention and can't be forgotten. We do still ask for 50sqft but depending on the rabbit and the situation there is room for some flexibility.

If he did bond with P&G how would the idea of having a base work?

I would personally like to see pics of all the areas he would go in, mainly the base (so I guess playhouse and the rooms in your house) and also the garden from a variety of angles.

I'm quite a tough home visitor so I do grill and have careful eyes for everything which is why I'm being annoyingly careful with this too. that's not because i doubt you, but because having learnt what I have learnt about people, I am now ultra careful in every way.

Plus, if you are coming via a recommendation of mine and then it goes wrong that would make me look bad and make them even less likely to listen to anything I have to say. And most importantly, I want to make sure it's the right home for Dumbo.

How do you intend to go about collecting him?

I could send you an adoption pack if you like. It's what I give to all people adopting or wanting to adopt and has a lot of info that you probably already know, but other info too that might be useful.

Thanks flashy that is great and very informative.
I can answer alot straight off and would need to think about or sort the rest.
As far as the garden goes,I would need to check the fencing, Peppa and georgie cannot escape but they do not digg and only areas of mud are under trampoline, i cannot say for sure but when i previously had buns free roam in garden they did not dig direct into grass but into mud . Correct me regarding that if i am wrong.
The patio has a fence and gate for safety for our pets or for the kids if we want them penned in so to speak lol .
He would not be able to escape it unless he could jump very high, some of our cats wont jump up (they are a bit silly though)
We do have local cats, no foxes but cats, obviously these are used to seeing our rabbits here but they are really only out when i am not sure if that answers that bit or not.
I would prefer to have him indoor and not outdoor apart from on sunny days of course, and even if he did not bond would still rather he was indoors.
I will need to plan his base but had the hall area and utility area in mind.
I will get some pics for you sorted. The playhouse is 6ft by 4ft i think although as i say i would not really like that option as i want him as a companion if that makes sense.
I have 5 cats, who are obviously used to rabbits dont know if this is a prob.
As far as getting him, i have not thought this far yet, basically if i was checked and could have him i would sort it one way or other, we do have two cars and so would have to come fetch him one day.
I think my hall size is about 25 foot with the kitchen i believe, and we have stair gates everywhere as i have a 6 year old nearly 3 year old and 10 month old boys so access has to be limited for different people at different times.x
The other option i quite like lol is my bedroom as his base as the other two for some reason never go in there and then i would have in with me at bedtime lol not that i am looking for a bed bunny or anything.
I will work on those pics, but an adoption pack would be great.
Totally understand you need to be thorough xxx

Thanks flashy that is great and very informative.
I can answer alot straight off and would need to think about or sort the rest.
As far as the garden goes,I would need to check the fencing, Peppa and georgie cannot escape but they do not digg and only areas of mud are under trampoline, i cannot say for sure but when i previously had buns free roam in garden they did not dig direct into grass but into mud . Correct me regarding that if i am wrong.
Really it depends on the rabbit, I think. I have several that dig some beautiful holes on our lawn, but equally, I've come accross rabbits who won't touch grass but dig massive warrens up against fences or under sheds where there is mud. We would be looking at something sort of 6ft high and solid pannels, that goes down underneath the floor level a bit, if the rabbit was to be out unsupervised. If he was always to be supervised then that would be less of an issue. So if he was indoor and then was let outdoor and supervised, things are more flexible, but if he was a permanenlty outdoor bun that was allowed in the garden during the day then we couldn't offer much flexibility for his safety.

The patio has a fence and gate for safety for our pets or for the kids if we want them penned in so to speak lol .
This sounds good :D

He would not be able to escape it unless he could jump very high, some of our cats wont jump up (they are a bit silly though)
We do have local cats, no foxes but cats, obviously these are used to seeing our rabbits here but they are really only out when i am not sure if that answers that bit or not.
when cats are involved it really comes down to the indiviudal rabbit. Some rabbits can tolerate and even enjoy the presence of a cat, others are terrified. I wonder if maybe they would be able to 'test' Dumbo at the centre to see how he reacts to being around cats. That might answer the question for you. Normally we ask about birds of prey too but with the best will in the world no one would be able to take him and I don't think they would try.

I would prefer to have him indoor and not outdoor apart from on sunny days of course, and even if he did not bond would still rather he was indoors.
I will need to plan his base but had the hall area and utility area in mind.
Cool. you're looking at an area where there is nothing he can damage, nothing he can harm, nothing that can damage him (so for example, no open wire, no unsafe plants, if you have wallpaper, be happy for him to pull it up, happy to dig and chew the rugs, etc)

I will get some pics for you sorted. The playhouse is 6ft by 4ft i think although as i say i would not really like that option as i want him as a companion if that makes sense.
We wouldn't rehome to a permanent base of 6ft by 4ft because obviously that is just under half our requirements. however, if that was the only option then potentially finding a way to attach a large weather proofed run, for overnight, that would be more appropriate.

I have 5 cats, who are obviously used to rabbits dont know if this is a prob.
As far as getting him, i have not thought this far yet, basically if i was checked and could have him i would sort it one way or other, we do have two cars and so would have to come fetch him one day.
:)

I think my hall size is about 25 foot with the kitchen i believe, and we have stair gates everywhere as i have a 6 year old nearly 3 year old and 10 month old boys so access has to be limited for different people at different times.x
Ha ha, you have your hands full. I'm not sure how Dumbo would be if the children were over enthusiastic with him given that when a girl was stroking him calmly, he nipped me (not sure what prompted the nip though, could just have been he didn't want to be fussed, or held, or was hot or something). How good are your children with the buns?

The other option i quite like lol is my bedroom as his base as the other two for some reason never go in there and then i would have in with me at bedtime lol not that i am looking for a bed bunny or anything.
Personally I would have concerns about your bedroom being a base for him because of the potential damage he could do. Its an unknown as to how destructive he is in a house or anywhere really, and so he might be a bunny who tears and rips your bedding, wees on your bed, chews your wires, finds a way into cupboards, eats things he shouldn't, etc, and so if he was in yoru bedroom and was the nightmare of all nightmarish rabbits you wouldn't have a place for him to go when he was being a pain. However, once it was established that he did have a different base and also you knew what his habits were it would be ok for you to move him to somewhere that you would prefer him to be (we just have to look at the worst case scenarios and prepare for thatbut once you know him and his habits you are then obviously free to do as you like)

I will work on those pics, but an adoption pack would be great.
The adoption pack is something I would have to send by post, so feel free to PM me your address and I'll sort that ASAP.

Totally understand you need to be thorough xxx

Ok just sorting photos of hall etc. Have decided could not have him outside permanently as i have already brought guinea pigs inside on nice day as couldnt bear to have to see them so far away lol xx
So have still taken pics of patio etc but wont be his home.
Inside also have re thought bedroom idea and totally agree, also i wouldnt see him enough as i would be down stairs.
so it would be the hall, there are two wooden boxes both of which get chewed by anyone no prob. No wall paper and no wires. We do have carpet, but that is not a prob we can also give him some rugs to chuck about and a dog bed full of toys too.
It leads to the kitchen which also has no leads and has laminate floor so again no prob, is right next to doors leading to living room where peppa and georgie are so good for them to get used to each other.
Children, well they would be on a tight leash with animals, and should they get injured, not being nasty but that would be there look out as they need to learn to respect animals etc. That is not meant to sound harsh but i would protect the pets and the children have to learn animals and pets are not toys xx They are used to animals and have been bitten or scratched by the cats so understand the principles involved.
Yes would be good to test out his response to other pets ie cats, my cats are good with the rabbits and Peppa and Georgie really like the cats and go to sit with them which is really sweet.
Right will try sort the pics onto here now

DSCF4218.jpg

That is hall and kitchen from front door

DSCF4223-1.jpg

That was hall from the kitchen at the other end

DSCF4221.jpg

That is living room at one end and the other end has patio doors etc

DSCF4228.jpg

That is peppa and georgie tray and food area in living room

DSCF4224.jpg

That is the utility area off kitchen, there is a toilet and another bit too x

You will have to let me know what else you would like pics of

DSCF4226.jpg

That was patio

DSCF4222.jpg

other end of living room with guinea pigs

thanks for the pics :) i love your house :D Maybe you could adopt me :p I'm litter trained.

I'm thinking maybe the best way to progress is for me to take this conversation and show it to the centre and also the pictures, and then maybe pass on your contact details to them so they can give you a ring, would that work?

As a bit of info for you he looks like a young continental giant. At that age side of ears and face shape that would be my best guess. (have a friend who breeds them)
have his bits dropped Trace?? am thinking 4 months old poss.
If he seems older than that he may well be crossed with a conti :)

Back