For peppa and georgie and anyone else who likes the big buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he is a bit older than 4 months. He's been at the centre for maybe about 6 weeks, which would put him as very young when he arrived, which he wasn't.

I would put him at maybe 6-7 months. I BELIEVE (but may be wrong so will have to check) that he has already been neutered. I would think he must be some sort of cross. He doesn't strike me that he will get mahoosive, just large.

He also needs someone to get him onto a better diet for him because to me he looks boney on his spine. He's being fed a regular pellet (the same one I feed my nethies) and believe he needs more protein in his diet than that.

thanks for your input :)

well at a guess the way your hand is over his head he is around teh same size as my younger bevs which are around 5 months (nearly) they are coming in now around 7 1/2 lbs? how much smaller is he any ideas?
The ear shape is pure conti but gawd knows what he is mixed with. If his diet hasnt been great it could have stunted him a bit.

May be worth and I know this isnt what pet people like but keep the pellets but add in a mix as well with a higher protein. also some dried grass into his diet . It may help build him back up a bit :) they need to eat a lot if he is anywhere near the size of the bevs then they get a scoop of food a day and as much hay as they will eat. also a handfull of grass :)

Unfortunately they won't change the diet at the centre so it will have to come from whoever takes it on.

Are there any good pellet feeds that are higher in protein for the bigger buns?

Are you talking a muesli mix for him?

I have a feeling he gets very minimal pellets compared to what he needs but they wouldn't listen even if I said anything.

I don't know what he weight is, but he feels significantly bigger than floss who is 3kg. I would guess maybe 4kg? But that is a pure guess.

Given he was found as a stray potentially he could have suffered a lot of hunger whilst being free because its an unknown as to how long he was free for, which, I agree, may have stunted him.

He looks like he should be a bigger bun than I think he will end up, to be honest.

so that should be around 8lbs?? (bit of a guess)
A conti iant can be anything from around 14lbs up fully grown.

I make my feed up in batches but I use the pets at home nuggets mixed with Dodson and Horrell dry food mix which is a type of Meusli and then I add dried grass and a scoop of oats as well. The oats wouyld be great for him you need to get them from a place that does horse food. Even adding them to the pellets will make a big difference.

I can check what weight of feed I give my beverens every day if you want I just know its a scoop (one of those big plastic scoops for liek dog food)

Hi sorry fell asleep on sofa last night and missed all replies he he.... Yes i will pm you my number and that would be a great idea...Thanks, oh and yes lets adopt you too ha ha.
You could always visit if you ever up this way. xx

I'll send them an e-mail later with everything in. If they haven't contacted you in a few days or so then maybe give them a ring on (01473) 623280

What I will say though, is this.

When I am part of an adoption of an animal I commit myself to be there for that animal whenever the owners need me to be. I've lent people hutches, I've run round to houses at funny times if a rabbit has been ill, I've taken people and their rabbit to the vets, I've bonded rabbits for people, and so the list goes on. I can't obviously do much to help you in terms of practically, but I will be contactable via both e-mail and phone for you.

However, if something goes wrong with an adoption then I will keep fighting for the rabbit, whatever that means. In one case it meant going and removing the rabbit from the man and letting him think it was his idea. In other cases I have repeatedly called, or when someone has decided to give up their rescue rabbit I have found it another home so it didn't have to go back to the centre. Basically I fight for whatever is best for the rabbit in whatever the circumstances are.

You are so far away and I am only able to be there in a limited way, both for you and Dumbo. So, please, PLEASE make sure you have thought this through completely (which I'm sure you already have, to be fair) because coming all the way to Oxford is a long way to come to pick up any pieces that may fall apart. I would do it though, if I had to, but only if I had to. Please consider all the different scenarios and what will happen if they arise, how you will solve it, etc, and if there are any circumstances at all that might lead to you surrendering him back to the RSPCA please, please let me know before taking him on.

I'd love to get Dumbo out of the RSPCA and into a home and I personally think you can provide a really good home for him just so long as you don't get all caught up in having a big bunny and are able to look at the practicalities as well as the dream.

Normally I fit all that in throughout the homevisit so it's not quite as blunt as that, but I don't have that luxury, both because of the medium and because of the distance.

Having said all that I feel better :D I genuinely just want whatever is best for Dumbo and I wouldn't have pursued this so far with you if I didn't think you had things to offer, so please don't think I'm getting at you or putting you down or anything. I just need to make sure this is a fully thought through decision plus I needed to know you knew I would do a lot to help you :)

I'll send the e-mail once I have sorted out the buns. They often have a backlog so don't expect them to get to you immediately.

On a side note, if you did come up to get him, you would be more than welcome to pitstop at my house once or twice (because you will drive past my house once on the way up there and once on the way back), Or I could meet you at the centre or something if you wanted :)

Arrr thanks flashy that is good to know how committed you are. I can assure you i would never surrender a bunny back unless it was something horrendous beyond my control but i am aware that you never can tell what might happen.
The only thing that creates any question mark is the distance itself and obviously i would work around that to come pick him up. It would be a day out anyway wouldnt it lol xx Would be lovely to meet you at the centre.
Let me know if you think of anything else that would need doing. xx

I have got your e-mail all set to go, just need to ask a few more questions. They are a bit more personal so feel free to PM me the answers :)

How many people live in your house? In terms of adults and children (I believe your children are 6, 3 and 10 months?)

Also, what vets are you registered with?

Have you adopted from the RSPCA before?

Can you give me details of your current pets?

I.e. species, healthy, vaccinated, spayed/neutered if appropriate, etc.

also, if you could elaborate on Peppa and Georgie a bit more that would be great, like age, breed, how long they've been bonded, etc.

Whose responsibility would Dumbo be? Are you able to get him to the vets at any time day or night if necessary?

Is your house owned or rented? If it's rented you will need to provide evidence from your landlord that you are ok to have animals.

I think that's it :)

:) We replied at the same time.

When you talk to the centre it may be worth discussing options of picking him up. Personally I would prefer you meet him at the centre so if you feel he's not for you he isn't stressed with a car journey for nothing, however, the centre may be ok with doing something different like me picking him up and driving him X amount of the way to you and you meeting us somewhere round the M25. Not sure how the forms would be done in that instance but that would be something to discuss with them.

I'm glad you are committed :) I thought you were but I did just have to make sure i had laid it on the line for you, the same as I do for others. nothing personal :)

No prob flashy, you wouldnt be doing such a good job if you didnt do that.
I quite like the sound of the half half meeting on m25 but would be prepared to go all way if needed. Sounds silly but i already feel attached like "hey dumbos mine" My husband will tell yu that once i have made my mind up there is no changing it lol That would be how we ended up married lol 10 years now too, no escaping for the poor bloke.
Anyway the questions, where to start, i am registered with both vets in area, one of which is more expensive but i know the owner personally as he has had to come and meet me in the middle of the night many a time lol.
They are West Bar Vet Banbury oxon, Hawthorn Vets, 01295 262332
Calthorpe street banbury oxon 01295 259446
Those numbers might need checking as that is off top of my head.
Children you got just right yes, then there is me and my husband, The cats are 4 of them 11 years old and one is one i rescued recently so approx 3 we think, he is burmease but the only pure bred we have.
Peppa and georgie came from pets at home as a pair, they were together in the pen although i was warned not to get them together as georgie nethi and would be bullied by peppa but i could see she wasnt as ears too big and they were really close and i knew i could seperated if became a prob so still went with them.
They were bought mothers day at apparently 10 weeks ish so they should now be 8 months ish. They were spayed together at 5 months. They are not vaccinated so far but could be if needed, in the past my vets were sceptical about the whole vacination thing and whether i should or shouldnt as they were house rabbits.
We are non smokers, that may not be relevant but we are anti smoking for children and pets xx
We have not adopted from rspca before. Dumbo would be my responsibility but cuddles may come from daddy too lol xx
We own the house or should i say mortgage lol xx
Oh and we have two boy guinea pigs, one is about 3 the other is only 7 months and they are together but seperated with a nice strip as they keep arguing so they have a berlin wall put in lol xx
Think that was it but ask away, all seem healthy xx

Thanks for th Karen :)

Are yoru cats vaccinated? spayed/netuered and healthy?

Pigs healthy?

They would require you to get your buns vaccinated and would expect that Dumbo would be kept uptodate with his vaccinations too. VHD can exist in the environment for 8 months plus and that can come in on the hay, so that is a risk for indoor rabbits, and myxi comes in on flies and fleas so the flies in particular are a risk because they ca obviously come in the house. Indoor buns are just as at risk as outdoor buns unfortunately.

I think that's all :) thanks

I've sent it so don't worry about answering the other questions :D

I'm very excited!

Cool will sort vacinations, would it be good to wait till i hopefully get dumbo as i could use it as a bonding exercise, taking them to the vet together.
Also cats all neutered and spayed and guinea pigs all healthy, again cats last time i went i was advised as they indoor didnt need more vacinations as they had had so many and they not in contact, but again can still get them done, they are regularly wormed in case x My vets are very good but have differing opinions on the vacinations sometimes. I will however ring my vets and see if they want them in again xx

I'm not sure if they will be too worried about the cat vaccinations, more about Peppa and Georgie because obviously Dumbo is the same species. It would be worth talking to them about it though.

I would also talk to them about when they want you to get the vaccinations done. To be honest, some people have proved very untrustworthy so they may ask you get them vaccinated before you come for him and show them their vaccinations cards as proof (a lot of people talk a really good talk and don't follow through, I'm not saying that's the case with you, but we have to aim to not let any buns slip through the net so focus on the worst case scenario- we are very pessimistic, lol). So again, ask about that.

I put all the facts you have given me in the e-mail and attached a lot of posts from this thread (form both of us~) and also attached the pictures too. I did also mention about 'testing' Dumbo with cats at the centre but again, soemthing to clarify with them if you can.

That is cool am on the case have just rung the vets to check on price and when i could get it done so no prob, could do it any time, or wait if he needs his and do together but i suppose he might already have had it done so wouldnt need it for while. Will write a list to ask them that too. xx
Great will wait for their call with my list of questions lol xxx

:) That's really ace :)

If they haven't called you within a couple of days then I would suggest calling them and explaining that I'd send an e-mail to the centre about you and that you were interested in Dumbo and wondered if you could talk to someone about that.

Sometimes they need a bit of chasing because they are so busy :)

Latest posts

Back