Flynn, the little red bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D Thankyou.

The carpet-pulling has gotten worse. I don't understand this little velvet wonder... perfect litterbox habits, nice manners, yet he likes to pull up carpet. He has a few designated spots for carpet-pulling. I'm thinking about buying a huge rug for the middle of my room and putting straw mats or placemats over the smaller spots which are mostly under my chair and in one corner of the room. He'll probably just find a new spot to start, but at least I can contain the mess a little. There is now a little 2" hole where he pulled up ALL the carpet, right in the middle of my room. :grumpy:
So he hasn't been allowed out while I'm not home as of yesterday. I'm scared he'll pull it all up!

Bo's a carpet freak too! He's bad about peeing on it as well. We have to keep him in the room with hardwood and I got him a rug he can play on in there...

I think they get bored or something?

Ugh...I feel your pain, Alaska is a HUGE carpet puller :grumpy:

I bought a cheap 5x7 area rug and put a NIC barrier around it for Alaska and Gixxer to play in, she pulls those fibers too but I figure $20.00 every 6 months or so is better than her destroying the carpet in my loft!

I'm considering buying an expen to put around his cage for when I'm not home to police him, but it makes me sad because he does so well with everything else :( We'll see.
On a happier note, it was very warm outside today (Considering it's NOVEMBER!), so I decided to take Flynn outside. It was his first time on his harness and leash, because it was always too big for him before (it's a small dog harness).
100_3039.jpg

Crunchy leaves = delicious bunny snack.

100_3032.jpg

What's that?

100_3022.jpg

Digging and foraging like a wild rabbit!

100_3016.jpg

100_3053.jpg

He loooved the dandilion leaves!

Flynn finally has a NIC cage!
I couldn't stand looking at everyone's wonderful cages here on RO and other places and feeling guilty. Flynn has immaculate litterbox skills, but he's been destroying my carpet lately, so I haven't been able to let him loose in my room when I'm not home (like I had originally planned). So, I decided to make him a NIC cage last night!

100_3059.jpg

Old 36"x24" dog crate. All of the towels around it are to keep him from pulling the carpet. it looked very cluttered and I felt terrible leaving him in there when I was at class/work.

100_3061.jpg

Supplies! Zip-ties and 3 boxes of grids from Target (on sale-$14.99 each). Fleece from Jo-Ann Fabrics.

100_3062.jpg

Cleared out before construction. Look at all that empty space!

100_3065.jpg

Finished product. 4x2 (56"x28") with a loft.

100_3088.jpg

With doors open.

100_3086.jpg

With just the top door open. (It hinges and swings up onto the roof)

100_3091.jpg

Left side.

100_3094.jpg

Right side.

100_3093.jpg

Loft. (Every bachelor's gotta have one!) :D

100_3090.jpg

Cute clips to keep the doors shut.

I love the new cage- he has so much room- enough to binky, even! It also looks much nicer in my room and the loft utilizes the height better. I used all 200 zip-ties (a little paranoid?) and actually ran out on the roof and doors, so I used paper clips (bent around the bars) to help secure it. It's pretty sturdy, but some parts of the top only have two or three zip-ties and I would like to buy more soon to make sure it's super-stable. I also didn't think about the fact that Flynn's ENTIRE HEAD can fit through the large grids. It's not a problem for the back or the side next to the wall, but he kept sticking his head through the roof above the loft, so I put the smaller grids on top for now. I'm just too lazy to take apart the entire roof and replace those three grids. Plus, I'm out of zip-ties so I can't.
I still need to get some linoleum or something to put under it- right now it's just a double layer of polyester fleece in some spots, although there is another double-layer and a rug covering most. He's excellent with his litterbox so I'm not TOO worried, but I'd hate for him to have an accident and ruin the carpet. There is a grid in each corner to help stabilize the cage and to keep him from digging up the fleece, by the way.

Great cage! I love the cute clips you bought. I actually love the whole look of your cage with how bright it is.

I noticed on Flynn's pics when he was outside, he has the EXACT same cowlick on the top of his head as Gixxer does, wonder if it's a MR thing?

An exciting new update.
As many of you know, I've been wanting to get a friend for Flynn for awhile now.
I received permission to get another rabbit about a week ago, but the main stipulation was that Kate, my housemate with rabbit allergies, had to agree. After a long talk, Kate and I agreed that Flynn did indeed need a friend to snuggle with while I'm not home. We also agreed that it would only be fair to get another rex because neither of us are allergic to rex fur.
At first, I was dissapointed- I was really leaning towards getting a lop or a lionhead. Then, I discovered something- a new breed called the Velveteen Lop.

• New breed (on its way to being accepted in ARBA)
    Miniature (6 lb.) versions of english lops
    Rex Fur
    Curious puppy personality
I found a breeder in Michigan who is a little less than 1 1/2 hours away- still a bit of a drive, but at least it's only a 3 hour round trip instead of 6 or 7. She is very nice and was happy to answer all of my questions about the bred. She also sent me various pictures of her velveteens snuggling with her children and new owners. She confirmed what I'd already suspected- velveteens have the personality that I'm looking for.
She had a litter born on October first, and I reserved a broken blue doe. I told her I'm still looking in shelters, but she assured me that this little girl would be on hold for me either way.
She will be ready to come home on November 25th, when she's eight and a half weeks old!
Here are some pictures of her. Not the best quality, but isn't she pretty?
She will be TWICE Flynn's size (or more). Last time I checked, he only weighed a little over 2 1/2 pounds.

125.jpg

126.jpg

124.jpg

I dont know how i missed this blog but OMG what a beautiful flynn!!! I love your intro too... Abbie was born June 1st also. I love the velveteen lop, I swear our next bun is going to be a REX, you have me totally convinced! Yours is beautiful

Thankyou :) Flynn's head is getting bigger by the second, lol.
I just love rexies... such soft velvety fur and no hair everywhere to pick up! Although, forewarning: their hair is very airborne. Get an air filter before you get a rex ;)
My air filter is two inches in front of Flynn's cage :biggrin2:

I love that little Flynn! He's grown into such a handsome boy!

And that velveteen lop is just beautiful!

I feel so lucky to have virtually no allergies to anything. The only thing I'm allergic to is Elastoplast brand plasters (band-aids for you American folk.. ;)), and even that is only mild. So I don't really notice fur floating around. Not until I go to dust anyway and there's a thick layer of fur over everything! :p

Flynn and I had a rare and unexpected snuggle moment today. He was being especially smooshy... he kept smooshing himself into the carpet for pets. So, I decided to take advantage of the moment by wrapping him in a bunny burrito and clipping his nails (THEY WERE SO LONG!).
After I restrained him on his back to reach those back tootsies, I let him sit in my lap for the front ones. Surprisingly, he snuggled up to me and demanded pets for a few quiet moments, even after he knew he was free to go. It was nice :)
100_3120.jpg

100_3117.jpg

100_3108.jpg

100_3112.jpg

Also, my new bunny comes home in only 15 days! :biggrin2:
My housemates and I are very excited!
The names I'm leaning towards for her (you can see her a little further up the page) are:
Olivia
Pollyanna (Polly or Anna for short)
Liesl (Lee-sull, like in The Sound of Music)
Scout
Luciana (Lucy for short)
Alice
Madeline
Maisey
Suggestions welcome :biggrin2:

I was checking out your blog and I just have to say: Wow! Flynn is simply gorgeous!!!! What a handsome bun you have :biggrin2:. His cage is so nice, it looks like a palace! I love all the pretty colors and hanging toys, I gotta get my buns some of those cool toys! :cool: *plans to storm Target asap* hehe.

I just built a NIC cage for Max for the same reasons. I felt bad that his cage wasn't bigger and more spacious especially compared to the many lovely ones on here. So I finally dove in. He's much happier now. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what did Max live in before?
The one way I can REALLY tell that Flynn likes his new cage so much better is that he'll nap inside the cage when he's tuckered out- he never used to do that. He would always stuff himself into some impossible nook or cranny. Now, he's content to sleep on his blankets and towels :)
Also, he seems to like to be petted much more since the new cage.
What is little Minnie-May living in? I'm dreading putting the new girl in a little cage, but then again, it will probably make littertraining easier.
PS- you can find lots of hanging toys from Petco, Petsmart, and DrsFosterSmith online :D and usually you get good deals on shipping

So, why is it that we all tend to get fleecey baby blankets for our bunnies? LOL!

I love Flynn.... he's just so sweet! :hearts:

Max was in a cage that was smaller than his new NIC cage (which is 3 squares long by 1 square high by 2 squares wide). He has free run in our kitchen while we're home, so he usually only spent nights in this cage. Since moving to his new cage, he has more run-around room and purrs while he's laying down inside (vibrating ears :)). Oddly, this is the first cage (he's had 3 total) that he's acted territorial about.. not sure what's up with that.

I made Minnie her own NIC cage, but was so busy trying to get it put together, I didn't think about putting the larger square panels on the bottom.. so surprise surprise, Minnie is so little, she found a way to cram her little body out through the bigger squares to freedom.. lol. Now she's in Max's old old cage.. I'll have to take a picture of it. It's elevated on wheels so she's not ground level, but plenty big enough for her right now since she's still being litter box trained. I'm no expert, but in my experience it is MUCH easier to litter box train them when they're in a smaller area.. then increase their cage size once they get it down regularly (at which point I'll have to bite the bullet and begrudgingly rebuild her NIC cage, free of the big square panels :p). I'll take a pic of their cages and post them tomorrow :).

I've noticed the fleecy love with Max too. My mom once has this old pair of fleece fuzzy pj bottoms that she was giving to good will.. Max found them and just loved them, lol. They were his favorite blankie so far. Might have to scour the good wlls for another pair!

Oh! I forgot to mention, another way I can tell Max is happier with his new cage is because he willingly will run into it for bathroom time or munchies.. it's only a few feet outside our kitchen entry way. With his old cage he would never willingly run back into it like this.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
So, why is it that we all tend to get fleecey baby blankets for our bunnies? LOL!

I love Flynn.... he's just so sweet! :hearts:
Thankyou! :) He is my little handsome sweetheart, and he knows it.
I think we all just like spoiling them. Since I don't have any children (and certainly could NOT since I'm still in college), I tend to view him as my baby, and I think my boyfriend thinks it's ridiculous. Oh well.

Raspberry82- I'm glad someone else agrees. I wish I could leave Flynn out all day (I did for a little while), but he started pulling up the carpet and since my house is a rental, that is NOT good. I also don't want him ingesting any fibers! I'm still trying to figure out what to do... I would like to get a large area rug and give him a pen for when I'm not home. He still gets free-run whne I'm home, so at least 3-6 hours everyday/night. I'm usually home from work late and up late, so he's become a night owl :)
The cage I ordered for my new baby is 40"x22", so although this is still on th small size (and I have to keep in mind that she will be bigger than Flynn, probably) it still gives her room while littertraining and bonding is in progress. I'd love to see your cages! Take pictures :)

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I wanted to give Max more run time, too but we have a 2brm condo with ALL white carpeting except in our bath and kitchen. Max LOVED to pull up carpet when he was younger (he never does now thank god) so I decided to get him used to linoleum so our kitchen could be his free run room. It's easier to bunny-proof and clean than carpeted rooms. It made him nervous walking on linoleum for the first two weeks, but after that he figured out how to run around on it without slipping, even when he makes big jumps off of our kitchen chairs! :) When we couldn't supervise him, we simply blocked off the kitchen entry way with a tall plastic baby gate.

I only moved him into the kitchen after he was litter box trained and stopped chewing on no no things like wall boards (carpet was always his fav, never really wood or walls like some, phew). We just have to make sure all our lower cubbards are shut before we leave him in the kitchen unsupervised. Especially the cubbard doors leading to under your sink where there are nice chewy water hoses! ;) If he's staying in there for a quick trip (1-2 days) we move his litter box into the kitchen with his blankies, toys, pillows, etc.

Some on here say to never put your bun on linoleum because it is too scary, but it really depends on the bunny. Max runs and plays and jumps on it now like it is completely normal.. never scares him and he knows how to play and run on it safely.

Back