Flemish Fever

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm the latest to get sick... :shock:

Meet Keely...

l1.jpg

Welcome Keely, you are certainly a beautiful girl. I am so happy for you. You have an awesome family that is going to love you forever. I look forward to hearing all about you and all the fun things you do. Make sure you give your mom and your boy plenty of kisses.

:inlove:

Tina

ps. Apollo says he is love. He was surprised to see a girl the same color as him. He said your are beautiful.

:love:

Keely wants to say thanks to Apollo and Tiny...I'm very flattered and a bit embarssed!!I would love to meet both of you....saidI have a feelingI won't see bunnies my size very often asI'malready as big as the ones here...if not bigger. So far this lil (and I mean little) brown boy has been very nice to me, mom calls him Corky.I really haven'tmet the other bunnies yet butI can see em from wheremy house is. Also, Mom's told me about how nice Apollo and Tiny sound and how their stories and pictures played a huge part inmy coming to live here. So its very good to meet everyone and nice to know I'm not the only big bunny around!

Love: Keely

The Flemish seem like a great breed. If I didn't have my two now I'd really consider one. Sadly, I only have the time and room for my twomedium sizedones.

Out of curiosity, though, what's the average life span for the Giants?

Bringing this back for SweetPeasDaddy.

Besides...it was time. :)

Cali blew people away at the Boathouse Party. Some had neverseen a Flemish before and let's just say, she did not disappoint!

-Carolyn

That is a beautiful picture of SweetPea! :inlove:

-Carolyn

These rabbits are INCREDIBLE, BlueGiants! Talk about easy on the eyes!

1babies.jpg

1babies.jpg

I didn't realised these where Flemish - They must be so beautiful. Their colours are stunning and then added tothem is the size.WOW :shock2:

Amy I love your new addition. She is so beautiful. I love the way here ears are sooooo huge compaired to her size at the moment. I bet she'll soon catch up to them though. Shes gorgeous!

Vickie

I have to Ask! dothey Actually have Blue eyes? I have been trying to figure itout from the pictures and cantquite tell!

Blue Flemmies... my favorites =)

Although Shawn wants a Cali! He just wants a huge rabbit ::Laughs:: Anubis at 10pounds isnt big enough for him, at least he is learning to not fear the beast =)

I have to Ask ! do theyActually have Blue eyes? I havebeen trying to figure it out from the pictures and cant quitetell !

Their eyes are supposed to be a soft blue-gray color. (True blue eyes are DQ'd from showing. But it does show up in some lines of blues and blacks.)

This is in the new magazine if you haven't read it, you should. :)

[align=center]Rabbits Only's New Mascot[/align]
[align=center]Introducing... Joe Buttercup[/align]
[align=center]
joe_for_forum1.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]Joe on his third day at the house.[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]You could say that Joe's adoption was a well thought out, well planned affair.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]After the death of Blue, our RO mascot, we polled our readership.[/align]
[align=left]What breed of rabbit should we get as the new RO mascot? is how we phrased it. We got 59 replies, with over 500 views of that particular topic. To say that the response: Flemish, was overwhelming, is an understatement. Just take a look at what our moderator, Carolyn, took the time to compile to make her case for the Flemish:[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]:) You can trust them with children of all ages.

:) Their personalities are consistent, loving, and calm.

:) They're hysterical to watch, and they feed off of your love and laughter by playing into it when they do something to make you laugh.

:) They're not moody.

:) Haven't heard of one that is a biter yet. You can trust them implicitly.

:) As big as they get, they never grow up. They're your "baby" and they'll always behave as such.

:) They're are sensitive to the emotions of those that they love.

:) They'll put up with more than most breeds will.

:) They're big hits wherever they go, they enjoy the attention, and you'll love the reactions you get from people about them.

:) They are always glad to see you and eager to be near you and yours.

:) Their warm in the winter, sit on your feet and keep them toasty; and cool in the summer, when they binky, it's like having a fan in the room.

:) They love Love.

:) Many of them are kissers.

:) They're fascinating to watch.

:) They get very excited when you baby talk them and give them praise.

:) They're not bullies with other rabbits and often get along harmoniously with other pets.
[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=center]
number1%20036.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]Joe touring his room...[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]So Flemish, it was (if for no other reason than I would never had lived it down!). So we went a-looking for a Flemish breeder I didn't have a lot of success locally. I felt strongly that this Flemish should be a pure breed--nothing against mixes, but for our mascot, I felt that we should show an animal that is as close to what its standard is as possible, so as not to mislead anyone into thinking a Flemish is a great deal smaller than it is.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]As a fluke, I heard from Cathy Cariocciolo, a Flemish Giant breeder from Long Island, NY. Ironically, she lives five minutes from where I used to live and a common friend had been telling me how I should meet her way before I started looking for a Flemish.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]She breeds both of my favorite colors: blue and black. And since Blue, our former mascot, was a Blue Mini-Rex, I was really partial to that color. Now I do live close to 400 miles away, and it isn't all that easy to ship rabbits, so I had to figure out when I might be able to pick up a rabbit, and, even more importantly, coincide that trip with a litter ready for adoption on Cathy's side.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]The perfect opportunity came with the Boathouse party that our forum moderator, Carolyn, was planning in Connecticut. And so plans were made. In attendance at the Boathouse party was a rabbit adopted from Cathy. Big and blue and sooo friendly! He was great.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]So the next day I met Cathy and chose our Black Flemish Giant. When I called my house to tell my daughter that I had our rabbit and I would be bringing him home the next day, she was ecstatic. She had already picked out a name for him, too--Buttercup, inspired from a story we had been reading about a Florida White.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]When we arrived home the next day, my daughter admitted tome that maybe Buttercup wasn't the greatest name for a boy, so she changed it to Joe Buttercup, and so it is.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Cathy had warned me of what to expect in the first few days. She told me he would probably be on his best behavior for the first two days and then turn into some sort of out of control teenage rabbit. So I watched and watched. On day two my daughter had him in her arms and he gave her a rather hard nibble, which, on a five year old's finger was much more dramatic than on a tough adult finger. She didn't get mad at him, though. He's tried a few other nibbles on fingers and clothes, but nothing very disruptive.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]He really is a sweetheart, and always a perfect gentleman! When we come downstairs we greet him, Hi Joe!, and I just love how his incredibly long ears just perk up. When we let him out heal ways finds a way out of the room we try to confine him to... like jumping over the makeshift baby-gate! He'll make his rounds, and when it's time to go back in all I have to do is herd him back through the house--always the same way--back to his cage, and hop, he willingly obliges me and jumps right back into his cage. No real chasing, no fishnets needed![/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Joe Buttercup has one real love, though. Our white cat, Bianca, who is smaller than Joe, has captured his heart. He loves to follow her around as she runs for cover every time. Poor Bianca--she just lost her big love--our big white dog who died a few weeks ago, who she used to follow around like Joe follows her. We have three cats in all and one dog, now, and all our animals have great respect for this huge black beauty. There is always at least one cat sleeping next to his cage. They must like his energy field![/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Joe truly is a sweetheart. I love introducing him to people and saying, "this is our baby, he's only 3 months old". Am I bragging? I'm like a proud parent![/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=center]
joe_at%20three%20mos.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]Joe at three months[/align]

Hee. When I saw the title "Flemmish Fever" I thought.... you can get a fever?! Oh gosh,I wonder if it's like Cat Scratch Fever!

:?

Latest posts

Back