Ferret and rabbits in same household?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, you said you would consider a cat if you weren't allergic? Have you seen the Siberian Forrest Cat?

Actually I did look around at some different breeds of hypoallergenic cats. Some were rather homely, but my favorite was the Siberian. I don't recall "Forrest" being part of the name. But the Siberians are just gorgeous and have the sweetest faces.

I also liked the Balinese and the Russian Blue and bengal. But by far I preferred the Siberian. The only thing is that I have to actually handle some to see how I react.

The closest breeders I could find are in TX.

If I don't have any allergic reaction, I'd like to have one for myself.

...I just looked it up... the Siberian Forrest is also known as just Siberian -- so same cat breed.

I would love to handle one and see how I do.

Watermelons,

The pics were great to see. They do look like cute little characters. Seeing your set up is giving us ideas too.

Honestly, rats never interested me before, but now looking into them more with my son, I'm beginning to see their appeal.

Of course, they will be his, but it's always fun to help prepare.

I had ferrets growing up and they gave our cats a run for their money! Wouldn't like to think about what they'd do to a rabbit! Although I'm sure in very rare cases anything is possible.

Watermelons,

When you have your rats out and are handling them, do they stay on/with you?
Do you ever have them loose with you while you are in the same room as your rabbits? Do they just ignore each other? Or do you have to handle them in a separate room altogether?

My rats and rabbits are on separate floors of the house. I do not have issues with the Rats/Cats or rats/snakes. I can handle my snakes and then handle my rats with no issue, or handle the rats then handle the snakes. They don't care. Actually its entertaining watching the cats sit near the rat cage, if they sit too close the rats will nibble on the cats fur. My kitten had short whiskers on 1 side because she used to sit too close to the rats. She learnt her lesson.

The only time my rats are near my rabbits is well... Okay heres one of the pictures I took for my Christmas card last year. They didn't care! None of my rats fear any animals in my house. And my rabbits, especially Loki, will do whatever you want and again don't care, Loki will bowl over my cat.

As for handling... Well Ive heard from MANY MANY MANY people that boys are much cuddlier and calmer and are more likely to stay with you then girls. Personally I couldn't get over the idea of having rat balls drag on me as they walked, so I got girls. My girls like to explore, so if im at the computer desk they may climb down my arm and explore the desk, but don't go anywhere they cant easily reach. My 1 female will stay in your hair or in your hood, or under your jacket/shirt. It depends on individual personalities I think, They stayed on our shoulder more when they were younger, but as they got older we did it less, and allowed them to explore more so I think its habbit now. They usually sneak down your arm to lick your plate or steal your food/drink. I think a male would be calmer and stay on your shoulder better. I used to let my single female free reign on me when she was a baby, if I did that she would always leave me and go cuddle under the pillows at the other end of the bed.

1November 038.jpg

Photo is adorable!

I've heard about the dangling boys... That thought makes females more appealing. The rats will be housed upstairs in my son's bedroom. The rabbits are downstairs.

I was wondering because we school (home school) downstairs and wondered if he could have his rats hanging around him (at the kitchen table) while he was studying.

The rabbits rarely come in the kitchen (though they are free to). I just didn't know if the rats would crawl down and, I don't know, bother the rabbits or something.

(We have a snake too, lol)

Last edited:
Odds are the rat would probably stay on the table, unless it was really easy to get to the floor, or if the rat climbs down him to the floor rather then to the table. I would just make sure he pays attention to the rats enough that he knows where they are at all times. More of a "Oh hey I feel one climbing down my leg". Them being loose on the floor is more of a hide and seek type game. Ive lucked out that every time my 1 girl has escaped the cage that was left open, she either stayed in the 1 room the cage is housed in, or I found her running down the hallway (with all 5 cats loose in the house).
I would never trust the cats enough to allow my rats to free roam but their okay when were right there. As for the snakes. That's fair game, so the 2 are never out at the same time, but I don't have issues with the rats and rabbits. The rats may nibble whiskers, and Loki would probably try and head butt the rats... I have odd animals so...

I think your biggest concern is if the rats get off your son or the table, where will then wander off to lol. They do like to explore when that's set in their mind.

Thanks for all the input everyone (and also all the detail from you, Watermelons).
We've found a reputable rat breeder not too far from us and we have an appt to meet her. I joined a rat forum and we (my son and I) are trying to learn as much as we can about rats. The more we learn, the more intriguing they become.
I think this will be a far better option than the ferrets since we have rabbits.

That is so cool! I have mixed feelings about rats but Watermelons rats make me sort of like them. They're kind of cute! haha.
Let us know if you get some rats and post pictures! I hope that your son likes them and they make him a really good pet!

I think I posed in the other similar topic.

My rabbits and I share a house with 3 other vet students, a ferret, foster dogs and now two cats.
The rabbits have a cage in my room plus they roam my room when I'm home. The ferret lives in a cage in my roommate's room and runs around in there when she's home and sometimes visits the living room. There are always at leas 2 doors between the rabbits and ferrets. The one time they sniffed noses at eachother, the rabbit thumped and both parties ran in opposite directions.

Ferrets and rabbits are definitely doable, but you'd hav to be diligent about keeping them apart as I am with rabbits and any other species. When mixing species of pets, one mistake could be fatal.

That is so cool! I have mixed feelings about rats but Watermelons rats make me sort of like them. They're kind of cute! haha.
Let us know if you get some rats and post pictures! I hope that your son likes them and they make him a really good pet!

Thanks. We've joined a rat forum and have been getting all ready for a pair of girls. The hard part is having to wait until early October til they're (born and) old enough to come home.

In the meantime, I couldn't resist showing off the cage so far. I've been sewing like a madwoman (and having a blast!) using fleece that my son chose. The other stuff is mostly from the dollar tree.

100_9010 (960x1280).jpg

100_9011 (1280x960).jpg

100_9012 (1280x960).jpg

I had guinea pigs and for me they weren't very interactive and are pretty hard to handle. I didn't really notice different personalities like I did with my rabbits. I like rabbits a lot more than I did my guinea pigs and I've had 6 guinea pigs.

Are you against reptiles? Bearded dragons are really interactive. Some will sit on your shoulder and some can wear harnesses and be walked. The two I've had both liked to be held and pet and were always looking out of their environment. They do need insects which may be a problem with you. There are several options though. If you don't like crawly things like crickets maybe you'd be OK with Phoenix worms? Whatever you do decide on make sure to research research research.

Never mind didn't read the whole thing. Now I see you are getting rats. Cool choice!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I had guinea pigs and for me they weren't very interactive and are pretty hard to handle. I didn't really notice different personalities like I did with my rabbits. I like rabbits a lot more than I did my guinea pigs and I've had 6 guinea pigs.

Are you against reptiles? Bearded dragons are really interactive. Some will sit on your shoulder and some can wear harnesses and be walked. The two I've had both liked to be held and pet and were always looking out of their environment. They do need insects which may be a problem with you. There are several options though. If you don't like crawly things like crickets maybe you'd be OK with Phoenix worms? Whatever you do decide on make sure to research research research.

Never mind didn't read the whole thing. Now I see you are getting rats. Cool choice!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Yeah, we're getting the rats. Thanks for the thoughts anyhow...

We have had guinea pigs and I rather felt the same way as you've described.
We're downsized now as far as pets go -- just 1 dog, 2 rabbits, a snake, 5 finches, hermit crab and day gecko. :big wink: (and 2 future rat girls)

Wow! That cage looks amazing! I would would also like one human sized please!
I think your sons little rats are going to love it! I can't wait for you guys to get them, I want to see them!

Does he know what colors he wants yet? Or is he going to go by meeting them to see what their personalities are like?

Morgan...there are rats that are just adorable not that I don't like rats. My daughter had one. I want a dumbo rat, love the big ears and I love the ones that are marked like Siamese cats.

Blue Eyes...good luck with the rats. My hubby works with someone that has one. It is the family pet and runs throughout the house till they call it to put it in it's cage at night or when they are leaving. Just be extremely careful if you have any recliners as they pose great risk to rats.

Its their tails that bother me. I know how smart they are and I would totally have one. The reason I like hamsters out of most rodents is because they don't have tails! But other than their weird tails, I think they're adorable!
I also like the dumbo rats, I think their ears are so cute.

Does he know what colors he wants yet? Or is he going to go by meeting them to see what their personalities are like?

We visited the breeder first and her rats seem well-socialized. She has a couple daughters who play with them all the time. She also has a waiting list for her planned litters! So we met the rat momma-to-be and who the pop will be. Then we'll be choosing from the litter when they're old enough.

I love the coloring of the momma. Her name is Tinsel and you can see the parents here if your care. She's part of the 2nd pair when you scroll down.
...and, yes, they will be dumbos!

Latest posts

Back