Ernestine's Not Feeling Well....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dearest Buck,

I'm glad to hear such good news...

I hopeErnestine continues tomove forwards in her recovery.

My hopes and thoughts are with you all,

Lyndsy:)

I checked on this first thing this morning...

what a relief! I'm so glad to hear of her improvement and hope that it continues in such a positive direction.

Sending all our love and best wishes.

~Emily and the critter crew

Just heard from Buck and The Missus.

Ernestine is holding her own. We're not out of the woods yet, but things are looking up.

:)

-Carolyn

Thank you so much for updating us. I havehad Buck,the Mrs., and Ernestine on my mind all day. I hope shecontinues to improve.My heart goes out to them. I'm sending prayers anda hug that way.We love you Buck and are here for you.

Tina and Jeremy

I've also beenwaiting all day to hear something. A little news is better than nonews...;)

Raspberry

Well, I was going to let Buck tell you, but I might as well save him the typing and you girls the worry.

They put Ernestine on Critical Care. Her eyes look good, gumslook good, and she's alert. It was a direct reaction to theIvermectin and the doctor thinks she pulled through most of itherself. She was eating an apple on her own when they leftthe doctor's office.

-Carolyn

Not out of the woods though. Don't know if there's been damage to the brain cells. Time will tell.

Continue the prayers.

-Carolyn

So she was basically allergic or has a bad reaction to that stuff?

Poor girl. I've been thinking of her all day as well.

It's not so much of an allergic reaction as it is a neurologicaltoxicity response usually due to a genetic tendency.

I read on one site that dogs with "white feet" are the most sensitivebreeds to the Ivermectin. Ernestine is a Dutch, so also haswhite feet.

The lack of tolerence to the drugappears to be related toeffects of genes that regulate migration of cells during fetalformation.

Pam

I see. So for some reason, some rabbits are genetically unable to take ivermectin.

That's such scary stuff. You try to help them and you end up poisoning them. :(

Hi all!

Thanks for your thoughts, concerns and prayers. Carolyn haspretty much updated you with all the information we had. Vetsaid breeds/species prone to react negatively to ivermectin.Mentioned white collie dogs for example. When administeringivermectin first time for any animal they require patient to remain inhospital for about an hour just in case a reaction sets in, so theytreat with antidote immediately.

I mentioned yohimbine as an antidote and she said she would administerthat if the animal was having a seizure and as Ernestine wasnot, it was not necessary. Same thing for anycortisone based med, as Ernestine's vitals seemed good. Weare to call vet with update tomorrow. I am concerned withlingering brain damage,as she is still not quite her own livelyself. Now, of course, we watch her like a hawk and exaggerateevery reaction, real or imagined. Hard to get back to anormal perspective.

Will advise you all of any significant developments. Lessonhere for me is that ivermectin is not for all buns, especially BEWand/or Blue Dutch.

Buck

It is scary, but not unusual to have this happenin rare instances. There was a case a few years ago when alady treated her rexherd with Amprolium and most of themstarted to go blind within 3 days of treatment. I've neverheard of a case of Amprolium causing blindness in rabbits, but it isknown to cause blindness in goats.

Also a number of cases where Carbaryl, a common ingredient in fleapowders, has caused serious neurological reactions in animals.

Unfortunately, these reactions are not as simple to treat as allergicreactions (where antihistamines can be used). The toxin mustbe removed from the system.

Pam

Whoa! :shock:

This stuff all scares me a lot! I'm soglad Sebastian is never around other bunnies. I hope that eliminates alot of the possibilities of disease for him. Still I know someday he isgoing to get sick. Then, I just hope it doesn't happen quickly so thatI will have time to react with caution.....

Scary, scary stuff...

So glad Ernestine is holding her own.

Raspberry

Buck, I have been worried about Ernestine,yourself and your good lady all day. It is such a relief to read thatshe is hopefully on the road to recovery. This has certainly been agood learning curve for me, especially having Pernod (Dutch bunny) withwhite feet (Thanks for the info, Pam). I will be keeping you all in mythoughts and prayers- Jan

Latest posts

Back