Ernestine's Not Feeling Well....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
You never can tell where the day is gonna go! Took Ernestine to the St Patrick's day parade with us yesterday. While watching the parade and stroking her in the front pack, I noticed "dandruffy" ears.

After the parade, returned home and administered a dollop of Ivermectin horse worming paste, as I've done for about the pasteight years and ten rabbits. Marked calendar for future treatment dates.

We had company for dinner, who stayed late, departing about 11:00P.M. It was then that I went to check on Ernestine, who was in obvious distress. Pam had mentioned some rabbits may react adversely to ivermectin, but it had never happened in my experience. Unfortunately, the breath of my experience has now been widened at Ernestine's expense.

She was grinding teeth, lethargic, in kind of a stupor, not eating and not drinking. The only saving grace was that the ivermectin I administered was long out of date, a stupid error on my part but, perhaps, less virulent as a result.

Today, she seems a bit better, but still exhibits all the symptoms of last night. I administered some water, NutriCal, and pedialite and will follow up with more water later in an attempt to"flush" her system.

Asking for thoughts and prayers for Ernestine, who never asked for any of this. It was an unwise decision on my part. I should have "tested" with a minuscule amount first.

If no significant improvement by tomorrow morning, will bring her to vet.

Buck

Although I have no advice, I would like you toknow that you andErnestine will be in my thoughts. Do notblame yourself as you didn't know she react this way. I hope all goeswell for you both, there's nothing worse than a sick pet...:?

Lyndsy

I'll be keeping her in my thoughts today. MaybeRex can send her good wishes when he blows out his birthday candle
xlbirthday.gif

Buck my friend I am so sorry to hear thatErnistine isn't well, I am sending my prayers accross the pond to youall. I am praying for a complete recovery.

Please don't blame yourself, your a good Daddy to your babies.

All the signs seem good today, lets just hope that she keeps on improving.

I'll be anxiously awaiting any updates.

Love

Vickie

Dearest Buck,

She and you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers today.

Please remember that one never knows when such a thing could effect theindividual rabbit. You and many breeders have had such success withIvermectin. Had you known she'd be one rabbit that couldn't handle it,you never would've administered it.

From what I've learned along the way is that anytime you medicate arabbit for the first time, you roll a dice on how it will react. That'swhy Pam always qualifies it by saying consult a vet.

As Kathy Smith said, it's a good thing that the medication was expiredif she were to be sensitive to it in the first place as in most cases,they lose their potency once expired.

That said, you've taught me a valuable lesson in sharing this story.I'll make sure to check expiration dates now. I've it checkedsometimes, but not always. I'll amend that to be always.

Do make sure to check in with me later because Pam, Kathy, and I areall thinking about Ernestine and want to know how she's getting along.

Thoughts and Prayers go out your way.

Love,
-Carolyn

Dear Buck,

If Ernestine can pull through, it would be from you. Of allthe people that can take care of their rabbits, you are thebest. I'm sure Ernestine just had a minor hic-up and will bebetter soon. This experience had increased everyone'sawareness on the situation that can happen to our bunnies.

Prayers for Ernestine.

Buck Jones wrote:
The only saving grace was that the ivermectin Iadministered was long out of date, a stupid error on my part but,perhaps, less virulent as a result.
Buck, I haven't even read the responses but wanted to let you know this ASAP.

LOTS of medicines actually get stronger as they age. They canconcentrate into like a lot of a part in one area of a tube, and thingslike that. (Boy aren't my descriptions so professional!?LOL) I am just concerned she didn't get too much! That couldbe the problem.

I'm going to read the rest of this and look to see what I can find onout of date Ivermectin.... and maybe call my bro inlaw who knows aboutit more...

Bro inlaw is out.... but I can't find anything much online. It just says don't keep it out of date, blah blah blah.

How far out of date was it? Ivermectin is a form ofpesticide. Those in a strong, spray formula do concentrate asthey age.

I hope Ernestine is doing well, but I think if it was very much out ofdate, I would try to get her to drink a lot of water!

I'll keep looking and trying to reach bro inlaw.

OK, I found information on Ivermectin Paste andit says that polymerization (reduplication of components ofsomething) does not take place. I believe that is when itdoes concentrate so hopefully that wasn't what made her seemworse.

Here is my reference if it might help anyone in the future. :)

http://msds.farnam.com/msds/m001117.htm

Dearest Buck,

I am so sorry I took so long to see this. Don't yougo thinking you did anything wrong. You are the most vigilante andloving Rabbit Dad I know. I am going to keep you and Ernestine in myprayers as you are both in my heart and my thoughts. I'm glad to hearthat she is already a bit improved from last night. Hopefullyall the flushing and your care will see Ernsetine back to herself verysoon.

Please keep us posted. Jeremy said to send you his love. He is praying for you both.

Love,

Tina and Jeremy

Thank you all for your efforts, thoughts andprayers. She did try to "run away, run away" when attemptingto catch her for her afternoon drink of water. That is morelike her usual self.

Not out of the woods by any means.

Buck

Hi Buck,

Carolyn had called me earlier, and I just got back online with mypc. Keep up with the fluids and give baby aspirin forpain. The main concern is respiratorydepression. Symptoms may continue forabout 3 days. I am hopefulbecause you mentioned aslight improvement this morning. Please post again thisevening with symptoms.

Don't beat yourself up over this. There is no way to tell inadvance which animals may exhibit a hypersensitivity to a particulardrug even when administered at or below recommended dosages.

One website mentioned administering a glucocorticoid for Ivermectin toxicity.

My fingers are crossed and I am praying that she will be ok.

Pam

Ugh, I just saw where you said you encouraged thewater with her in the first post (then I said it after lol) .... I hada situation here at home going on while I was looking up the info onivermectin. (Our water pump went out on us!)

Honestly, Buck, I think bunnies try to prove our methodswrong. We do what we know works with them and then suddenlythey "decide" it's not going to work for them or that way anymore!

If I had been doing what you do with your others regularly and for solong, I'd have done exactly that with Ernestine as well.She's just one of the unique girls who's going to have issue with atreatment you have trusted for years.

I'm sure with how she's doing better, you have caught it on time andshe'll be good as new with your continued care of her.Infact, it might not have been the ivermectin at all! Strange thingshappen all the time...

Keep us posted and give her ear rubs and kisses from me :)

Dear Buck,

Oh I am so glad she is slowly showing improvements.I'm sure with your love and care she will continue to improve. My heartand thoughts go out to you and to Ernestine.

I know you have a long few days ahead of you both. I willcontinue to keep you both in my prayers. I am so sorry this hashappened to you both. Only good thoughts for you both.

Tina and Jeremy

My Friend, I knowyou are worried and nothing anyone can say is going to change that. ButI hope you will not dwell on the "what ifs" of this situation.

I'm certain it is with animals the sameas it is with humans. Anyone/anybunny can have an allergic reaction toanything. My doctor and I just discussed this very thing lastweek.

It could have happened with anothermedication, a lesser dose, with a food...

Ernestine couldn't be in better handsthan those big, warm hands she's come to love and trust. With a littleluck and a lot of prayer we will hope everything will be okay.

Raspberry

Latest posts

Back