Edmonton Humane Society

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand about the court case stuff and not being able to say anything. I just hope you guys get the help you need to help the bunnies.
I would love to be able to bring something up for them this weekend, but a VW bug get full with 6 buns, 2 people and a bunch of stuff.

Midnight doesn't look too happy about his weight. Maybe he thinks he should be bigger than that :wink.

Very sad to hear about the 500 buns. :( I also heard that they seized another 200 buns from them 3 years ago. Did you guys get all 500 buns at the shelter?

It's from the same people?! What is the matter with them!?

My Elly is from the batch that was seized in 2007. Among them were a few that had to be euthanized because they were much too sick or too aggressive. I'm sure that this time won't be any different... :(

I also have one of those adopted from the 2007 siezure. In that case I think nearly half of the rabbits were euthanized due to illness and such. I believe it will be the same in this case, which is unfortunate. I just know I will have to avoid the shelter fora while so I don't bring another home.

I hope most of them are able to be adopted. But unfortunately I don't think that will be the case :'( Hope they all find loving homes.

I just heard on the news that all 589 rabbits seized from this house have been euthanized due to all of them being ill with Snuffles. Which is really unfortunate. They also announced that this same house has willingly surrendered another 500 rabbits over the last year and a half. Most of those were put up for adoption at some point. That's a shocking 1100 rabbits from one house.... :shock:

It really is a shame. I'm not very happy with the characterization of "snuffles" as "deadly and uncurable" in the first article, however. Snuffles is an outdated term that shouldn't be used anymore, and many upper respiratory infections can be cured. I can see how so many bunnies taken from one place might be too ill to treat, but they shouldn't have called it snuffles and said that it's untreatable.

The term Snuffles still engenders fear.
Our Humane Society here had a gorgeous big bunn, a flemish cross I believe and had her listed on the website as having Pasturella and having to go to a home with no other rabbiits.

Having dealt with Pasturella(anti-biotic resisitant) and Bordetella...not to sound snotty...but they can be treated and it isn't that big a deal...just takes care and time and a bit of research on the owners part.
Our girl still has bouts when she gets stressed and it has never passed to our other kids...not even when she was a bonded trio!

Those poor wee bunns.:(:tears2:

Danielle

Its so sad about the bunnies :( I hope the charges stick and these people get more then just a slap on the wrist.

Stupid lack of animal cruelty laws and enforcement!

I too have dealt with pasturella and I beg to differ on your opinion of it. I have had it bring about abcesses, head tilt, eye ulcers, and constant sneezing. Two of those rabbits I have lost the battle with pasturella and 3 of them had racked up large vet bills not to mention the hours of care required. Our shelter is just not capable of providing that level of care to that many rabbits. And placing these rabbits is even harder if the adopter is aware of the substantial costs that could resilt. Also you never really know how a rabbit that hasn't been exposed to it may react, while one rabbit may not react at all, others could be ill enough to have to be put down.

So I completely understand the shelters decision to put the rabbits down. I'm not thrilled that it did but I know they did it for good reasons.

I think the issue with this case is not that the bunnies had to be euthanized (what rescue or shelter has the resources to treat 589 rabbits with pastuerella?), sad as it is, but that the papers said "Snuffles" is "deadly" and "untreatable", which the other members are pointing out isn't true. Rabbits with pastuerella can be treated and many go on to live full and otherwise happy lives.

Rue

Yes, I'm not saying that pasturella and other bacteria that cause upper respiratory infections are simple to deal with, but that the way the one paper described it was incorrect. I can fully understand why the shelter had to have all the bunnies put to sleep, especially if they had been living with illness for quite some time. It takes a lot more resources per animal to take care of them when they are sick--500 sick bunnies is probably the same work as 1500 healthy bunnies. I just don't like the portrayal of all rabbit upper respiratory infections as "snuffles" and "untreatable".

Some updates at our Shelter.

Since the time in April, we had a good number of bunnies adopted. The Shelter would spay or neuter the rabbits before they are released has been very popular.
Last week the shelter had a record number of total animals adopted in the Certified Pre-owned Cat Adoption Event.

CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED CAT ADOPTION EVENT

1149_181524_180000000.jpg

Staff at the Event. :group:

1149_181535_400000000.jpg

My latestfoster bunny (Midnight) got adopted during the event too. :clapping:

I was mentioned in the latest Newsletter.

From the kennel staff`s desk.

In April, when we had the large numbers of rabbits, a staff Vet (Dr. Smith) asked me to pair some of the bunnies to save space.
That's how this success story occurred whenwe chosethe two longest term bunnies to be bonded.
The two bunnies (Julie and Junior)bonded immediately on the first sessionwe had them together. But we tookmany more sessions to make sure they were OK with each other.

They are now housed togetherin a kennel,and Jennifer decidedto rename them Romeo and Juliet. :D

:highfive:WTG, Stan - fame at last;)

It's funny, but I had just been on the EHS website to check on Sprocket (formerly Midnight) and was delighted to see he wasn't there :). I hope that Juliet and Romeo fine their Forever Home soon - they look good together!

Jan

Thanks Nicole. :)

Romeo and Juliet was featured on TV today. :clapping: I was at the shelter when they took the rabbits out of their kennel.

They were on CFRNas the adoptable pets of the week. This was Juliet's second time (Feb)on TV (being the longest term animal at the shelter).
However the handlers didn't know which rabbit was which and got their names wrong. :laughsmiley:

Back