Edmonton Humane Society

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pet_Bunny

Reaction score
Late last night on the news, The Edmonton Humane Society took 211 rabbits from a home in Edmonton. The owner who surrendered them, wasn't able to handle the situation she was in. Many of them who weretoo sick or had little chance for survival were put down.

With 130 rabbits still remaining, the shelter is still overwhelmed, as rabbits are been held in carriers stacked three or four high on the floor. The rabbits are of a mixed breed with some Harlequin and lionhead features. Many of the surviving females are pregnant. It has affected the shelter, as they are turning away any stray dogs and cats that are being brought into the shelter.

I dropped in to see the rabbits this afternoon. They are been held in a separate hallway away from the public as they are going through a quarantine period and will not be available for adoptions yet.

Peoplestarted dropping off donations and supplies. But the shelter is going to need alot more. In one year, they usually adopt out about 100 rabbits. But in one day they had 211 brought in. :shock: I talked to a couple who dropped off some hay, and supplies because their bunny had passed away a month ago. However they weren't planning to get another bunny. The shelter needsfood pellets, hay and newspapers. Some stores donated pellets, but it won't last.

The Edmonton Humane Society is going to need community support and help to get homes for all the bunnies.

I've bookmarked that link so that when I get some money next week I can donate some too. I can't afford much but I'm sure they need all they can get.

Poor bunnies.... I hope they'll be ok..... :(

Here is the website. http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.com/cgi-bin/index.pl

You can navigate to the section Adoptable/Lost and under Adoptable Other is where they have the small animals. When the shelter has processed the rabbits, they will probably list them in their Adoption's file. The ones you see listed now are the ones available before the mass surrendered rabbits came in.

2sbvibk.jpg

Here is the room for small adoptable animals. On average the shelter has 10 rabbits in this room looking for homes. You can see each kennel with a sheet of paper is occupied by a bunny with his picture and information on it.

Here are some of the bunnies ready for homes. These are not the ones from the surrendered bunnies brought in on Friday.

v5lthf.jpg

A mini lop Thumper sleeping in her kennel.

2eknos3.jpg

This one looks like my Bebe.

ffbqxy.jpg

A mini Rex.

As you can see, The Edmonton Humane Society have to add the 100+ rabbits in their system. I was not able to get into the restricted area where they are holding them. But they had to make thatspace normally for cats for the rabbits. For the pregnant bunnies, they might need fosters to handle the newborns. Members from the EARS club (local bunny club) have been called in to help.

Here are some of the supplies that trickled in...

fb9ahs.jpg

Pellets and Hay.

2hov89c.jpg

Newspapers are needed to line the cages.

You should wait until you see these newly acquired bunnies. They range from white, to fawn, to tort colors. Because they are so young, you can't help from seeing the cuteness. But I hope people don't adopt from the impulse and and cuteness factor. A comment froma TV personality said, "Too bad this didn't before Easter, because people always buys bunnies for Easter.:X I guesshe never heard of the Make Mine Chocolate for Easter.

Because of the lack of space and cages, the EARS club sent their show coups over for temporary storage of the bunnies.

jt2bkg.jpg

These are the show coups that the EARS club have.

Those are really nice coups...too small for bunnies to live in though!! I hope you have lots of adoptions of those cutie-pies soon. I'm helping through a donation!!

I heard about this yesterday and it's really sad. The EHS is really not very well equiped for many rabbits at all. I know for sure I am going to have a hard time resisting these bunnies, I love mixed breeds... it's too bad I couldn't take on a few. :(

Is there a limit to the amount of time that the shelter will keep those bunnies for? What will happen to the ones that are unable to find a home?? :(

I'm planning on dropping by with some donations tomorrow. And to check out Thumper while I'm there.... Her and Bunny would make agood couple

Hi Fuzzy!:wave: How is Bunny doing? For many of you, I bunnysat Bunny last year. :D You can seeBunny with Pebbles in my avatar.

I don't know what the shelter does with unadoptables. But I have seen bunnies there for many months waiting for a home. Fuzzy, if you have a meeting with Thumper, you have to check to see if Thumper has been fixed, otherwise you can't put them together.

The shelter is a busy place with the limited staff. Tomorrow, there should be some EARS people helping. Besides donations, they need newspaper to line their cages.

Hi Stan! Bunny is a bit of a trouble maker from time to time, but other than that he's doing great!How are things with Pebbles and Bebe?

If we were to adopt Thumper, the plan is to get her a general health check up by the vet and to have her spayed (if she hasn't been). If they decide to not get along, for whatever reason, I'm prepared to house them separately.But for nowthis is all just happening in my mind. I need to finish my exams before all else.

I'm bringing in pellets, hay, and newspaper. Do you know what else they are in need of??

Fuzzy wrote:
I'm bringing in pellets, hay, and newspaper. Do you know what else they are in need of??
Good Luck with your exams. :clover:

Pebbles and Bebe are fine. They are not bonded and still have to be supervised if they are together. Bunny was the last rabbit Pebbles really liked. But when Bunny and Pebbles were together, Bunny kept spraying everything around Pebbles. So you might have to think about the spraying if you get Thumper. You should do a bunny date at the shelter, so see how the two will get along.

The shelter haven't announced anything yet, but food and newspapers are welcomed. If you still have your old telephone books, they could use those too.

Back