DIPPYS A BOY - BABIES??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:?Ok I am very sorry :biggrin2:

But we haven't got enough money to spay Fluffball now otherwise we would do that, that is why I asked you what I could do.

But i was talking to Tracy last night and I am going

Oh gosh..... I have to go school right now..... I will finish this post later

BabyBunnies,

I think your rabbits are beautiful and I'm so glad I'm part of the forum where I've been able to share in your excitement over getting the rabbits up to the present. :)

I do have to say though (and especially with our spay/neuter profile reminder) it'll be easier to spay your girl now rather than to have to work with a litter of bunnies.

Rehoming them may not be too hard for you, but if those don't get fixed - the population continues. Also, it'll be easier cost wise not to have a litter because thats an extra expense with litter/food, possible vetting etc... and of course if you fall in love with one (or two...) and want to keep them, well then you have that many more to work with.

We've had a huge rescue outpouring effort here and in the "rabbit community" over a situation where a person bought two rabbits and they bred and those all bred.... 29 rabbits in all made it into rescue. Many have been euthanized due to their bad health and injuries due to lack of proper housing, and thousands of dollars have gone into the remaining ones upkeep and medical needs.

You can read about it here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33605&forum_id=7

but there are many, many examples on the Rescue Me board of rescues and shelters overflowing with rabbits in need, all because of a single, simple litter being born.

What I'd consider is this:

Get your girl fixed and *suppose* she had a litter of any ammount you "wish for".

Lets say 6 bunny babies. By having her spayed and preventing six babies from coming into the world - you've given six rabbits in a shelter the opportunity to live because your (possible) babies didn't take the potential homes the adoptable ones needed.

I really enjoy your posts and enthusiasm and I love the pictures you share. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be "mean" at all but I hope what I say gives you a chance to think things over.

I love your spay/neuter icon, by the way. Keep up the good work by spreading the truth around but remember each of up help others learn by setting an "example".

:hug:

Yep, Leaf, that's so true!

A lot of people don't realize that their "one little litter" is a problem if they don't spay and neuter them especially...... and that's costly....

and because those "cute little babies" take the place of an older bunny in shelters - that needs a home desperately....

Becca,

2 1/2 weeks ago, I came home to an unexpected litter. On March 25, my foster Royce, who is the only unneutered male in the house, mounted my only unfixed rabbit, Savannah when she escaped and I did not know. Savannah cannot be spayed yet due to her stomach issues. I thought that two seconds was not enough, the brushed the idea aside.

When I came home to babies, I felt so incredibly guiltly about what had happened. Savannah's stomach issues had become terrible during her unknown pregnancy, but I was glad that she and the babies were fine. Royce's owner said she would be glad to take one, but I had to convince her to still adopt a shelter rabbit as I did not want this baby to take a shelter' rabbits home away.

I have decided to keep the other three babies, as this was my fault. Yes, it will be a lot more money.. I will now have 7 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 1 rat, 1 gerbil, 1 mouse along with another two foster rabbits. I'm 18, and I live on my own. I go to school, and work full time. I already have enough money saved up to spay Savannah (when she gets better) and the other four babies.

What I'm trying to say is that.. =P If there is babies, and you decide to keep the pregnancy, just be prepared for the consequences... especially financial ones.

To Everyone
I understand what you hgave all been saying but I cannot get Fluffball spayed now becuase we don't have enough money.

I do not get why people keep moaning at me - how was i supposed to know that Dippy was a buck? I beleived the breeder, but at least I decided to check and see if he was a buck instead of just ignoring the humping thing becuase sometimes they do that to show dominance.

Fluffball might not even be pregnant and if she is I have Tracy (Flashy) and a vet on emergency dial.

Also I am not biast, I beleive strongly in my avatar and want to make a difference to overflowing shelters.

If Fluffball is pregnant and the kits and her are ok I have prepared some questions for the people who want them to answer:
1. Have you had a rabbit(s) before?
2. What sort of housing will you keep them in?
3. Do you have enough time to be able to: cuddle, stroke, feed water the rabbits and clean the cages often?

I really don't know what else I can do I have tried my best but remember most of the people on here are 10,20,30 years older than me (I'm only 12) and you have had a lot of experience this is why people come on RO for help, so please help me :)

BabyBunnies wrote:
To Everyone
I understand what you hgave all been saying but I cannot get Fluffball spayed now becuase we don't have enough money.

I do not get why people keep moaning at me - how was i supposed to know that Dippy was a buck? I beleived the breeder, but at least I decided to check and see if he was a buck instead of just ignoring the humping thing becuase sometimes they do that to show dominance.

Fluffball might not even be pregnant and if she is I have Tracy (Flashy) and a vet on emergency dial.

Also I am not biast, I beleive strongly in my avatar and want to make a difference to overflowing shelters.

If Fluffball is pregnant and the kits and her are ok I have prepared some questions for the people who want them to answer:
1. Have you had a rabbit(s) before?
2. What sort of housing will you keep them in?
3. Do you have enough time to be able to: cuddle, stroke, feed water the rabbits and clean the cages often?

I really don't know what else I can do I have tried my best but remember most of the people on here are 10,20,30 years older than me (I'm only 12) and you have had a lot of experience this is why people come on RO for help, so please help me :)

You're 12... so I'm 20 years older than you. :faint:

I think it's awesome that you understand the overpopulation problem and I love the avatar because it's such a stark reminder as to those in need.

As for people "moaning at you... we understand your age and how that can set limitations on money, but this:

- even if she isn't this time when she is old enough we are going to let her get pregnant.

YAY

is what people generally have a hard time with.

I guess if she isn't pregnant now you could consider yourself lucky (and her as well).

Since you have a cage on loan, you could easily keep them seperated thus ending a possible pregnancy. The way it sounds though, even if she isn't now - you'd like for her to be later on.

To me it would just be easier to seperate them and save up to have her spayed instead of somewhat planning to let them have a litter.

Not everyone on here has rabbits that are spayed and neutered, and opposite sexes can and do live in the same households. Perhaps some of your questions could also be about housing/care of unfixed animals (for the time being) so you could get input about how to successfully keep Dippy and Fluffball happy and without a litter if it's not already too late.

There are great reasons to breed, and there are great reasons not to. At 12 years old and without finances for a spay I'd be concerned about general and overall costs a single litter could incur.

Just starting out with pet bunnies, I'd consider not allowing the two in question to breed because vet trips can be necessary, trips that could cost more than a simple spay.

If you do definately decide to breed rabbits there are wonderful people here who could be your mentors. I'm sure many would be willing to help you along the way in a positive manner.

With these guys though, I say let them be pets - get used to having rabbits. You've got Nibbles, the senior, so you're learning about elder bunny care. With Dippy and Fluffball you are at a perfect age to learn about general rabbit care before jumping in to the more complicated issues of raising litters, responsibly rehoming litters, taking back rejected pets you've placed - and any emergency or non-emergency vetting that may crop up.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm 20 years older than you and I never really had a desire to have a rabbit. We had one when I was a kid, sure, and as an adult I honestly considered them to be "kids pets" - little animals that were great because they were caged and easy to care for - not with a very short lifespan, but not a long lifetime commitment either. It never even crossed my mind in the beginning that a person would take one to a *gasp* vet! because they are "caged animals". And my goodnesss, a well cared for rabbit can live upwards of 10 years!!

I joined after I was given 3 rabbits by a well meaning neighbor, and things have really blossomed since then. My whole lifestyle has been altered due to my growing admiration of the animals and I'm in awe of the knowledge of people about these (not so) simple creatures.

It's taken me almost a year to find my niche in the rabbit world, and by a chance adoption of two splay legged bunnies I've found it - I enjoy the care and compassion I give and receive to the more special needs ones.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get to know your rabbits for who they are and what they can offer at different stages of their lives. There is so much to consider, so much to learn - and above all, so much to enjoy. Breeding can come later, and believe me - when you want to take that step you'll know if the time is right and if you're truely prepared.

I would LOVE to have a houseful of bunnies. Absolutely. But, with less than a year of rabbit ownership under my belt - I couldn't begin to imagine what I'd want to accomplish in breeding. I don't have time to show rabbits, I wouldn't be able to purposefully sell for meat - Rabbits in my area are KNOWN as meat animals so selling or rehoming would always be a gamble, or "worse" I'd get in over my head with litters I wouldn't/couldn't sell.

All of that I take into consideration and I am an adult. I own my own home, have a self supporting job and vehicle, am free to make my own decisions with noone to tell me what to do... but more importantly... with only myself to depend on when it comes to making decisions that will need financial backing.

Talk with your parents, let them help you decide and guide you. The more you learn here the better. But remember, what we say is meant in the most positive manner. We care for you and your bunnies even though we don't know each other face-to-face. And of course, as an online rabbit community, we'll give you guidance and support - and maybe gentle nudges when we see things from age and experience that that haven't occured in your situation yet.

[align=center]Leaf I just want to say
:great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great:

EXCELLENT SPEECH IT REALLY MADE ME SEE EVERYTHING CLEARER!

The bunnies are seperated and have been since I saw them mating last Tuesday.
I hope it wasn't too late - you have really made me see that I am too young to be breeding rabbits by myself.

Before when I said this:

- even if she isn't this time when she is old enough we are going to let her get pregnant.

YAY

I was so stupid, I really hadn't thought of the finances and vet visits.
I don't want Fluffball to be pregnant, I am praying she isn't :pray:

I am proud to be a member on here and know the people with all this great knowledge.

I will keep you updated on the situation, everyone pray that Fluffball isn't pregnant.
But if she is I know you will all be here to help me!
:hug1
[/align]

LadyBug wrote:
well put Leaf:great:!

i hope everything works out for you guys Becca:hug1!

:yeahthat:

Goodluck on Fluffball not being pregnant! But if I was you, I would be hitting google as much as possible and find out as much information as you can about caring for a pregnant rabbit and her babies.Just to be safe even if she isn't, and if she is, then you'll know what to do.

i'm glad you got all that sorted out. it's hard, you'd love to have babies(i know i would.........), but then you realize that it's not what's best for any body.

hope everything turns out ok:pink iris::hug1!

All I want to say is I agree with everyone else, but here's my $.2 worth:

When I got my first two rabbits, I was in the SAME situation as you. Although my doe really was pregnant, and until the day she started pulling fur, gathering hay, we called her Thumper, as in a boy!

After that, she had three more litters, ALL MIXES. We searched for homes for them from day one, but ended up selling very little to the public and we had to take them to the auction....where were they going? Slaughter? A place where they'd get released into the wild because of lack of knowledge? We didn't know, and we only made $5 on like 6 bunnies. That's about $.75 per bunny. I'm not saying that money was the thing we wanted, because we'd have sold them for $5 each to GOOD homes, but the point I'm trying to make is that breeding mixes isn't a good idea (even though we're probably going tolet Autumn have one more litter this spring, just because she's longing for babies - but right now, it'sundecided if we will breedher ornot)since they're not very popular, unless for 4-Hers who can show them in pet classes.

Another thing is, if you end up taking them to auction, unless you watch who buys them, you have no clue to what type of home they're going to. It could be a home where they're treated unkindly and unfair, or they end up being eaten (hopefully I don't get flamed for this, just makinga point).

If she is pregnant, find potential buyers right now! Do tons of research and right up care sheets with your name, number and address for the new owners, so if they ever might need to return one, then they'll have your information. Take their numbers, so you can check on the bunnies every few months and see if there doing good, or if there's any complications and the owners may want to return them. The care sheets should have all the important things, and a list of the local vet in YOUR town. It could be from just one page, to five pages, as long as it covers what the rabbit's general care is.

If you do decide to breed Fluffball in the future, just plan ahead and see if you'll have enough cages, time, room, and TLC for each baby. And, make sure you can find them homes. There's plenty of bunnies out in shelters who would love a home, and by breeding mixes, you're doing really nothing to support rabbit showing and purebreds, etc. But, Im not saying you shouldn't breed Fluffball. I'm just saying that if you do, make sure you can find them good homes and be ready for a challenge. ;)

Like I said before, me and my sister may be breeding Autumn again, and this would be her 5th litter in just 3 years. Or maybe 2? I think 3. lol. Anyway, we're not sure yet if we can (meaning parents ;)) or will breed her. Due to lack of space and time, or even lack of new owners, it may not happen. We have plenty of time to even think about breeding her, (since it probably won't happen until June)so we may or may not breed her.

Well, I think thats enough,

Emily

Everyones fine, Fluffball is definetly a girl becuase she has her little teats underneath her!
Hopefully they are still bonded if not I will be doing lots more research but as the time gets nearer to "Fluffballs Due date" i am researching more and more, i have a shoe box ready and lots of soft hay.

You might want to wait until a couple of days before her due date to put the nestbox in with her, otherwise she might decide it makes a good potty box. :)Unless she has a false pregnancy, she probably won't start to nest or pull fur until the day before, and some will even wait until they are actually in labor to pull fur.

Yeah I am waiting :?
I meant that I have it ready for the 3rd of June which is when someone told my to put it in.
It is 1 week and 3 days since they mated or since the first time we actually saw the mate so I will keep you updated!! ;)

If she is pregnant and everything goes ok i have already got one of the babies a home - my best f riend Wendy who's just becoming a member on here right as i
speak - sjhe already has 2 gunei pigs and i trust her with my life!

Back