Dinner Time?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried Shrimp Rice and Spinach.

Shrimp Fry follow directions on box. Season shrimp to your liking. Zatarains shrimp fry.
rice
Put 1 cup rice to two cups water. Put rice in water put on high let boil for three minute then turn on low and cover rice check after ten minute I normally have to add a another half cup of water. Butter to taste and add some pepper. Don't stir before completely done

Canned spinach season to taste.

i know most people know how to do it but I thought for people who did not.

I Used Conalia Oil

Husband and I were both craving something salty, so we ordered pizza.
Pizza Hut. Pan crust, with mushrooms and black olives.

Tonight it will be a normal dinner of spuds, peas, fish and gravy.
Dessert will be PANCAKES! :)

This is what I had tonight; I'll post the recipe below (yum)

Pumpkin Curry with Lentils and Apple

1 cup red lentils
1 cup brown lentils
8 cups water
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 tbsp curry powder (or to taste)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 cups peeled, cubed (1-inch size) seeded pumpkin*
2 potatoes, unpeeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cored and diced

Place red and brown lentils in a pan with the water and turmeric. Cook over medium-low heat til tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, reserving 2-1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a large deep pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, cook until tender and transparent (about 5 min). Stir in the tomatoes and garlic; cook 5 min more, stirring occasionally. Mix in the curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and cloves. Add the cooked lentils, reserved cooking liquid, pumpkin, potatoes, and carrots. Cover and cook over med-low heat until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Stir in the spinach and apple. Cook until pumpkin can be easily pierced with a fork (about 15 min more).

*Be sure to use small sugar pumpkins for this recipe. The flesh of Halloween-type pumpkins is too stringy. Also, any winter squash such as butternut, acorn, or buttercup can be substituted for the pumpkin.

I opted to use squash for this recipe, and cannot say enough about how nicely it came out. Since I cannot tolerate spices very well, I did cut the amount of cumin and turmeric in half (I put in only 1 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp turmeric), so you might have to adjust amounts to your own taste. I found that the taste of everything blends together beautifully, and the apple gives it a nice sweetish flavor. It's one of the best vegetarian recipes I've come across recently. It also freezes very well and tastes just as good thawed and reheated.

Since tonight was our big grocery shopping/clean out the fridge/re-organize the kitchen day, and I don't get off work til 6 now, we just ate Hardees. :(

But tomorrow night I am making gumbo and beignets. *mouth drools*

Gumbo!
IMG_4574.jpg

It was really good! Of course... True to gumbo nature, it was way better today for lunch! LMAO.

Not sure what to fix tonight, something with chicken. Probably be boring and just smother it... Sister has her BF staying over and he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Which is good because we are down with that! LMAO.

Tonight I'm making Thai Red curry with chicken, broccoli, green beans and red peppers. Served over Brown rice. Smells so yummy as its just cooking now!

Fish taco's! Love them and their quick and easy; cheat by using frozen fish sticks, (Gortons lemon pepper are pretty darn good for this idea); and cole-slaw that comes in the bag and you just add the dressing; put into corn tortilla's add some cilantro and voila - dinner!

Mmm fish tacos! I should try that with the frozen fish. I bet they'd be good with non-breaded seasoned tilapia too. I may have to make fish tacos next week!

Last night Paul and I made egg rolls together for the first time. Sauteed shredded cabbage, carrots, garlic, and baby shrimp, and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then rolled them up in the egg roll wrappers, brushed the sides with seasoned oil, and baked for about 15 minutes. I made a dipping sauce of soy sauce, lemon juice and sugar to go with them. They turned out pretty well! Not as good as fried, but a good substitute.

I also made this stir fry recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pork-Apple-and-Ginger-Stir-Fry-with-Hoisin-Sauce/Detail.aspx

I used tofu instead of pork, more broccoli, and half the soy sauce. It turned out really well!

I was feeling lazy tonight so we just had meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta.
Yesterday we had spare ribs with roast potatoes and broccoli. Tomorrow I am working so it may be a burger with chips dinner when I get back.

:p The tofu egg rolls sound just fantastic! I'm definetly trying those this week..

The only problem with this "thread" is that everytime I read it - I GET HUNGRY!

Last night I made slow cooker pulled pork - sooo good. McCormick & Schmicks has a seasoning packet - mix with 1/2 cup Ketchup, 1/2 cup Brown Sugar and 1/3 cupCider vinager; I also added dried pepper flakes, cumin and chili powder to up the spicy factor; and as I forgot the rolls to serve it on I whipped up some frenchbread rolls; pile the pork on the roll - top with coleslaw and YUM! Would also have been great if I had remembered to get the pickeled banana peppers - but still was spicy, sweet and tasty.

Julie, the egg rolls were good. For some reason, they were even better as leftovers last night. I put them back in the oven to crisp them up some more. If you decide to make egg rolls and bake them, I suggest letting them get more crispy rather than less crispy. Tomorrow we are having the last of the egg rolls and stir fry!

Tonight's dinner was so good. I always buy a whole chicken when they're on sale. Sometimes I make chicken and dumplings and sometimes I roast them. This time, I stuck my (gloved because raw meat freaks me out) hands under the skin over the breast to separate it from the meat, then rubbed a mix of olive oil and Lawry's seasoning salt under the skin as well as on the skin and the rest of the chicken. Baked it breast side up at 425 until the thigh was 180 degrees and had to cover it with foil for part of the roasting time so it didn't get too dark. The chicken turned out incredibly! So moist and tender. I think the combination of using lots of seasoning salt and getting to use my awesome digital probe thermometer (it beeps when the meat reaches the right temperature so no overcooking) is responsible. Paul isn't a big fan of roasted chicken, especially the breast, but even he really liked it. We also had steamed red potatoes and tomato salad (tomatoes, dash of sugar and salt, balsamic vinegar). Yummy!

I must try the Brussels sprouts recipe. i love them even plain boiled but David hates them so I don't buy them very often. Maybe with the help of this recipe I can convince him:)

Sabine wrote:
I must try the Brussels sprouts recipe. i love them even plain boiled but David hates them so I don't buy them very often. Maybe with the help of this recipe I can convince him:)
They were even better leftover. I melted some cheddar on top. I microwaved the leftovers, but I'l bet they would be een better heated in the toaster oven.

Latest posts

Back