Dinner Time?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's dinner is garlic beef with asparagus and mushroom stir-fry. I'm looking forward to the veggies and sauce over my rice - hubby gets all the meat.

For reference in future posts to this thread: I am a vegetarian that eats fish and shellfish and hubby is a carnivour. I frequently fix meat dishes for him and I eat all the non-meat stuff.

:bunnydance:nice to see my favourite vegetable getting a mention - brussel sprouts! im the only one in my family who likes them. with regards to left over sprouts - in my opinion the only way to eat them is in a bubble and squeak. one of the tastiest leftover dishes ever:bunnydance::bunnydance:

hartleybun wrote:
:bunnydance:nice to see my favourite vegetable getting a mention - brussel sprouts! im the only one in my family who likes them. with regards to left over sprouts - in my opinion the only way to eat them is in a bubble and squeak. one of the tastiest leftover dishes ever:bunnydance::bunnydance:

OK, what is a "bubble and squeak"?

That was the best brussel sprout recipe ever!Boiling or steaming won't suffice ever again!

slavetoabunny wrote:

OK, what is a "bubble and squeak"?

That was the best brussel sprout recipe ever!Boiling or steaming won't suffice ever again!

its an old way of using up the leftovers from the sunday roast. you chop up the cold roast potatoes and mix in left over brussels (or any green veg). heat some oil (used to be the fat from the joint of meat) in a large frying pan. add the potatoe mix and shape in to a circle. it should be about 1/4 inch thick. fry until the bottom has a nice brown crust then flip over and brown the other side. very tasty!

i was raised by grandparents so nothing was wasted - the sunday joint kept us going until friday when we ate fish:)

slavetoabunny wrote:
Tonight's dinner is garlic beef with asparagus and mushroom stir-fry. I'm looking forward to the veggies and sauce over my rice - hubby gets all the meat.

The garlic beef recipes was awesome. It got rave reviews from hubby! I marinated the beef in the sauce for around 2 hours before cooking. Hubby said is was extremely tender and flavorful.

Garlic Beef with Asparagus and Shiitakes Recipe

SND Note: Any mushroom can be substituted for shiitakes. And asparagus can be replaced with any green vegetable, such as snow peas, broccoli or Chinese broccoli. If you like a lot of sauce, increase the quantity of stock or water to 1 1/2 cups and add additional corn starch slurry to thicken.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds flank steak or sirloin steak
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (shaohsing)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons of garlic, minced
  • 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
  • 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and sliced
  • 4 tablespoons canola oil
  • 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (optional)
  • 1 cup chicken stock or water
Directions
  1. Trim excess fat and gristle from flank steak and thinly slice against the grain. In a medium bowl, combine 4 tablespoons soy sauce, rice wine, corn starch and 2 1/2 tablespoons of garlic. Add beef and toss to coat with marinade.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok over high heat. Add flank steak and stir-fry until just browned, but still medium rare. Remove immediately and set aside.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok and 2 tablespoons of garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add asparagus and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Asparagus should still be crisp.
  4. Mix in oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to mushroom/asparagus mixture. Stir in chicken stock. Add the beef and toss gently in the sauce. Adjust seasonings to taste and additional slurry of corn starch to the sauce if necessary. Serve over jasmine rice or noodles.
Makes 6 servings

I just had an easy tea last night..both my boys stayed at friends houses so i was home alone..just had chinese beef noodles.

Don't know what i'm having tonight yet as my eldest son Anthony has gone away for the long weekend and i'm not sure if Jeremy is coming home or staying at friends house again.

slavetoabunny wrote:
For reference in future posts to this thread: I am a vegetarian that eats fish and shellfish and hubby is a carnivour. I frequently fix meat dishes for him and I eat all the non-meat stuff.
Sorry to nitpick, but if you eat fish and shellfish, you're a pescatarian. Vegetarians don't eat any animals.

(I am pescatarian, too. I have a few vegetarian friends who are endlessly frustrated because they will request vegetarian food and are then presented with fish. By definition, a vegetarian eats a plant-based diet, with or without dairy/eggs. Fish and shellfish are, technically, animals.)
:)

On a side note, I am totally trying that brussels sprouts recipe. I LOVE brussels sprouts!! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

BethM wrote:
Sorry to nitpick, but if you eat fish and shellfish, you're a pescatarian. Vegetarians don't eat any animals.
I've used the term pescatarian before, but it's usually easier to just say vegetarian so as not to confuse people.

Yeslavetoabunny wrote:
BethM wrote:
I've used the term pescatarian before, but it's usually easier to just say vegetarian so as not to confuse people.
Yeah, but then you give the impression that vegetarians eat fish, which ends up making things more frustrating for actual vegetarians. Like I said, I'm sorry to nitpick, but my veg friends used to get on me about this, as I'd say the same thing. Veg who eats fish. But, the ones who are veg for ethical reasons get very upset when a plate of fish is set in front of them when they've requested a veg meal.

I agree the term pescatarian can be confusing, but it's just people haven't heard it much. For catered events at work, I do check the vegetarian box, as the 'regular' meal has fish/pork/chicken, which I don't eat, no fish option! Plus, if there aren't 3 or more veg meals requested, they won't even bring a veg meal. I felt so bad for one girl, who went without food for several events, I started requesting the veg meal even before I stopped eating the omni food.

Another awesome veggie recipe. My steaming days are over!

Garlic Roasted Asparagus:

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed, rinsed and patted dry
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    showlist_icon.gif
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • Salt
    showlist_icon.gif
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large glass baking dish, toss the asparagus with the olive oil and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and toss. Bake until the asparagus are tender and lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the stalks, stirring twice.

Remove from the oven and toss with the lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Serve warm or at room temperature

RexyRex wrote:
I LOVE asparagus, will be trying that recipe soon!!

On a side note, I've never tried brussell sprouts before, but that picture looked awesome!! What to they taste like?
A brussell sprout is sort of like a baby cabbage. When you boil them they tend to be a little bitter, but fixing them this way gives them a great flavor and they are very tender.

slavetoabunny wrote:

A brussell sprout is sort of like a baby cabbage. When you boil them they tend to be a little bitter, but fixing them this way gives them a great flavor and they are very tender.

the bitterness could be because they were picked too early - an ideal sprout has a slight nutty taste. we grew all our own veg when i was a child, and sprouts had to be picked after a frost.

here, the bags of frozen ones often contain very small bitter ones:X oh well! any port in a storm when sprouts arent in season here;)

For tea tonight i'm making snitchzel and garlicmashed potatoes and veggies and brown onion gravy..mmmm.....

Mmmm, thanks for posting that asparagus recipe, Patti! I adore asparagus. (Husband doesn't like brussels sprouts -or- asparagus, so that means more for me! I will be trying that. I usually spread the stalks on a baking sheet, spray lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with some kosher salt, and broil for a few minutes. I love to let the tops start to get a bit crispy (but not burned). If I'm having it as a side dish, I'll sprinkle the hot asparagus with some fresh Parmesan, or if I'm having it as a main dish, I'll top the spears with a still-runny fried egg. Yum!

Tonight, husband took me out to see Alice in Wonderland. After, we were going to stop at the pub for dinner, but when we got there it was packed and there was a line to get in. If there is one thing husband won't tolerate, it's waiting to get a table at a restaurant. So we went to our favorite Chinese place and got takeout. I had shrimp fried rice, veggie lo mein, and veggie spring rolls.

Latest posts

Back