Clover Most likely a BOY!!!???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
My little girl isn't going to be around much longer. She's been acting very strange..... quiet, lazy, etc., and I decided to get her out tonight to see if she was ok......

I found a large lump/tumor on her tummy. I think it's probably a cancer but could be a hernia of some sort..... it's bad, regardless.

There's nothing we can do as we aren't even supposed to have her. I will call my vet monday just to ask her if she would look at it...... but it's about the size of my thumb.

I'm devastated. I'm sobbing as I try to type.......

Oh no! Not Clover...

She's not that old, is she? Maybe it's an abscess and some Pen G can catch it. It could be pain that's slowing her down.

Really hope the vet can take a look. Is there one you're friendly enough with who can see her tomorrow? Can't imagine anyone wanting to deny her treatment. Plead ignorance! (Cottontail?? What cottontail? She's an agouti!)

:pray:

Oh no! Not Clover!!! I saw this as I was typing up the news and my heart leaped into my throat! Take lots of photos to treasure and keep her comfy. I'm so sorry. You are in my thoughts.

I was actually looking at photos of her today and contemplating using one for a future caption contest...you will continue to be in my thoughts...

Thanks..... she's enjoying some craisens right now...
She's got this large, kinda loose, tumor looking thing right above her vent area.... like where our belly buttons would be.... to her privates.. it's kinda redish, no fur.. Maybe a tumor, hernia? she's 3 or 4 - I can never remember... that's OLD for a cottontail.... She's my girl.. what will I do?

I'm so sorry to hear this Bo - but don't give up hope yet. Perhaps it is something that a vet can handle. I've seen rabbits on this forum (Mouse Chalk's rabbit comes to mind) make it through things I thought a rabbit would never survive.

Do you have any pain killer you can give her? Maybe just a tiny bit? I find it helps some of my rabbits eat better if they're not in pain.

She's eating. She just isn't as lively as she was. I'm going to see how she does. I know that we had a rat that had a tumor like this on her back for several months. I can't see putting Clover through much. She's very tiny, and the stress would kill her. I love my girl, but I won't kill her to treat her.

She's loving her craisens and oatsies... and her regular food and she drinks like a fish! always has.

I'm just destroyed by finding this. I love my girl.... my bunnies mean the world to me... next to my family...

How on Earth do any of you go through this..... I'm still mourning my baby goat.

I found a post from Aug. 2006 when Clover was still a boy and had an injury on her bad leg, if that helps with her age. Sounds like she'd been around for months at that point.

But that means she's definitely over three. :( Normally a young bun except that she's a intact cottontail.

Still hoping for the best.

I'll email my vet with the description, but he'll probably say it's too hard to tell without an exam.

:nerves1

I'll try to get a photo later.
Yep, sounds about right..... 2006.... I got her the day after Easter. LOL She was a boy, and then a girl, and a boy and then a girl! and recently we even wondered if she was a boy again! I think I might have felt the beginnings of whatever this is.... It is sort of where the testicles would be... and sort of like that.......

Are there any wildlife rescue/rehabilitation organizations by you?
They might be willing to work with you, if they understood the whole situation.
:pray:

Oh dear. I wouldn't worry about a vet "telling" on you that you shouldn't have her, since she wasn't at all releasable. I think a vet can do something for her to help her out. Big hugs and good thoughts...

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get a photo tomorrow (we were gone all day) and show everyone. I have thought about this a lot..... it's really hard to figure out. She has been furry and now has been shedding so she has spots of little fur throughout..... this became visible and it really has me scared but then I thought about what all was said.....

If it were a normal, healthy rabbit I'd know it wasn't a testicle situation, but Clover's back left hip is turned inward... so it could possibly have pushed things all over to one area. I've not been able to find a photo of Cottontail boy parts...... maybe they are slightly different?

Clover doesn't seem nearly as "slow" today either. Could that be the craisens? was she depressed cause we hadn't held her (she DOES love to be petted eventhough she's terrified of being picked up).....

I might show the photo to the vet and see what she thinks. I really don't think Clover could handle a visit.

Also, Clover is very small. Randy and I discussed this recently - possibly a metabolic issue because of how I fed her as a kit? She has never had a lot of *cover* on her body.... which isn't unusual for a cottontail but she's probably not 2 pounds if I had to guess. That's small even for a cottontail..... so that makes me wonder about the testicle issue even more. She has lots of fluffy fur and long guard hairs which make her look "full" but she's rather boney even with all the feed she gets.

Son got the new Sony camera for graduation so we're going to get a photo to share here. Regardless of what it is, I think it could be informative. If we find she's a he, we're going to have a "coming out" party!!

Yeh I'd like to see pics

I really love cottontails; I watch them all around my house; they have exactly the same mannerisms as domestics

Ihave tried to take a few photos but they aren't from close up (of course.) I'll see ifI can find them

We have tons of Cloverbunny cousins out here! I feed them the left over hay pieces and hay cubes in the winter.

Most of them look larger than Clover, but they are SO much like the domestics! They infact seem more fussy about their grooming and stuff! Clover is very particular about how her cage is and uses her litterbox like a champ! Blankies are fluffed up over her and tucked in.

Not Clover... :cry2 My heart sank when I saw this thread...

I really hope it is just a testicle or something like that!

Thinking of you guys.... :pray::hug:

Latest posts

Back