Can I help my bunny recover from Paralysis (Parasite)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey!
I'm new here, happy to join the community! :D
So, my little lady Charlie caught a parasite last week and now suffers from hind-leg-paralysis.
She's being treated for it and so far it's only gotten better so hopefully the parasite will be gone soon!
She obviously has a hard time walking, although her muscles are getting stronger and she's able to stand a little bit she still spends more time on her side than on her feet and doesn't really try walking at all. I assume it either doesn't work yet or it's too exhausting.
My question is if there is anything I can do that can help her regain her strength? I'm thinking like physical therapy, but she's very old and fragile and I'm scared of hurting her so I haven't tried anything yet. I forgot to ask the vet last visit and the next one is in a week.
So far I give her massages which she enjoys but I don't really think they help.
I would appreciate any advice, thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you all have a good day/night! :)
Lilly

Physical therapy can be done where a wide band(or towel folded lengthwise ) is used to support their hind end, then assist helping hold the hind end up slightly as they try to hop. It's a matter of supporting the hind end just enough so they can hop and build muscle strength. You can find more info on it in the link below, and always consult with your vet on the proper technique to use first.
https://rabbit.org/rehabilitation-and-movement-therapy-for-your-rabbit/

Latest posts

Back