Buckley B Bunny: A Foster Bun from Brooklyn, NY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I am :) Thing is I would have a problem with transportation. Just can't be making long trips in my van as it's old and has issues. I could meet someone near by, say maybe a half hour to an hour at the most.

If we could find a way to get him here, I would love to have him :biggrin2:

We'll have to talk to Jim and see what the situation is...if hes fostering Buckley or rehoming him. Im sure that if he needs a home we can find a way to get him to you. Between here and bunderground Im sure we can make it work. :)

I'm Back!!
Actually I've been home forabout two hours.:D

Been busy getting Buckley settled in. I think he'll be just fine.
I put him in Tootsie's old cage for now.
He's in my workshop, but the rest of the buns can tell there somebunnie new.

He's a mini-rex.
He's gorgeous!
He looks grey in the pic, but he's black/brown with a kind oflighter browm undercoat....does that make sense.
He's so soft!
He's gorgeous!

But I can't keep him....ummm... no...
Made a promise to his Mom.
He to be strictly a foster, as his Mom wants him to come home when she gets back in about 6 months.
I'll explain later.

Wow, thats great!

Did she seem like she loved him, Jim? I got the feeling that she just didnt know a lot about bunnies, but that she loved him.

I sent you an email, but theres someone near you who is willing to foster if you need help.

Cant wait to see some pics!

Haley wrote:
Did she seem like she loved him, Jim? I got the feeling that she just didnt know a lot about bunnies, but that she loved him.

Oh my, yes!!
I could tell by the look in her eyes when I promised she could have him back. I don't think she expected to hear that. There were a LOT of tears.
She said she had several people that were interested, but none of them came through in the end.

And I think you're right about her just not knowing enough about bunnies.

We only got to talk for a short time, but I got the feeling that she hadn't realized all of the resources and information about bunnies.

Buckley appears to be in good condition. He's not neutered. His nails need to be clipped....but so do my buns'.

She has been feeding him Sunseed Vita w/ "garden vegetables". I think I'll switch him over to the KT timothy.
She didn't bring any hay and I forgot to ask her if she gives any to him.
I gave Buckley a timothy cube and he went after it like he'd never tasted anything so good. I'll give him a rack and some hay tomorrow and see what happens.
The only other things she brought were his bowls, a harness/leash, and some bunnie shampoo (ummmmm ....no).
I'll have tosee how his litter habits are. She said that he stayed in his cage during the day and didn't use a pan (wire bottom cage). When she was home he was out andwould "sometimes" use a pan. And then he was caged at night.

I think I've got to start a blog for him.
Think it would be ok if I called him "Buck":biggrin2:

JimD wrote:
I think I've got to start a blog for him.
Think it would be ok if I called him "Buck":biggrin2:

I think it would be very fitting if you nicknamed him "Buck". ;)After all, someone must have been looking out for this little guy for all of this to come together at the last minute.

I think she said in her myspace that she fed him timothy hay as a treat, so Im guessing her doesnt get it much. He will be happy to have it Im sure!

And maybe something really good can come out of this. Its good when a bunny can stay with its current owner, that leaves a space open for another. Maybe when shes back she'll stay in touch and learn how to give Buckley the best life possible.

Great work, Jim!

Jim - will you foster him the whole time she's gone? Or will someone else be fostering him?

Just curious...

Peg

p.s. NO - I am NOT offering to foster...just wondering...

thumbnail.aspx
This isn't Buckley.....but it looks just like him.

I was thinking that I might be able to foster him for the whole 6 months.
However, there'sa possible long term foster offerthat I'm considering.
I'll have a better feel for the situation in the next few days.

Some of my buns are VERY agitated with the newbie in the next room.
Benji wouldn't come near me this morning....even when it was breakfast time :(
I think he can smell anothermale (Buckley isn't neutered).

Six months is a long time especially for someone who was going to turn him loose if she couldn't find a home.

What are the chances of her actually coming back for him?

LuvaBun wrote:
OK, just seeing this now, and I gotta say ....JIMD ROCKS!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

This little guy couldn't have found a better foster Daddy, and I think calling him Buck is totally appropriate :).

Jan
Ditto

Wait a minute, you mean you got a new bun (well, a foster) the same day we did?? How awesome is that?? Not to mention, the fact that you were the one that found SweetPea's ad to begin with.

You're too cool, Jim...

:highfive:

JimD wrote:
I'm Back!!
Actually I've been home forabout two hours.:D

Been busy getting Buckley settled in. I think he'll be just fine.
He's a mini-rex.
He's gorgeous!
He looks grey in the pic, but he's brown with a kind of black undercoat....does that make sense.
He's so soft!
He's gorgeous!

But I can't keep him....ummm... no...
Made a promise to his Mom.
He to be strictly a foster, as his Mom wants him to come home when she gets back in about 6 months.
I'll explain later.
Wow, Jim! So this is the foster you mentioned in your PM to me. Cool! I just got to reading this post. Thanks so much for making the trip to help Buck!

Perhaps Eight-Is-Enough...but Nine-Is-Fun4Now, I'm certain.

Look, if you get stuck and need to forward him to another foster home for a while, I would be happy to meet you half-way and bring him here. We've got lots of pets, too, but there's always room for a fellow in need.

I am certainly hoping that mom does come back and want him. I remember being a pretty ignorant first-time bunny slave. It took a serious illness and death of a beloved rabbit to shock me into realizing that I just had to know more. When Buck's mom returns we can all be part of helping and encouraging her.

And if she doesn't want him...well, luvthempigs, I'd be happy to be the half-way transport point to get the little fellow to wherever you are in OH.

Mary Ellen

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody that has been involved in this.
Especially to all of those who have offered to take Buckley into their homes.

You all know who you are.

And a special thanks to Haley for continuing to find options for fostering Buckley.
I don't know if the others know how much work you put in behind the scenes!!

I just can't stress enough that Buckley be available to go back home when his Mom gets back.
I could tell that she felt like she was abandoning him, but by the time we parted she understood that Buckley will just be staying with friends for a bit.
If she comes back and decides that she wants to re-home him, then that's fine.
She attempted to re-home or foster him before she left, but everyone backed out at the last minute.
It was just luck that Haley found out about this and that I was able to help at the last moment.

JimD wrote:
I'll have tosee how his litter habits are. She said that he stayed in his cage during the day and didn't use a pan (wire bottom cage). When she was home he was out andwould "sometimes" use a pan. And then he was caged at night.

"We haveNO litter habits.

We have to pee in EVERY corner!
And we have to lift our little tail WAY up so we pee outside the cage and miss the drop pan COMPLETELY!
ANNNND we have to work VERY hard to move the nasty new litter pan that foster-daddy put in our cage.....so we can pee in it THAT corner TOO!!"

~Buckley B Bunny:brownbunny

***foster-daddy sighs.....and grabs the roll of paper towels***

Hang in there, Jim! Remember that Buckley needs you, and he will be a better bunny for his six months with his Foster Daddy.

By, the way...does the middle initial B stand for Bad? :bunnybutt:

I think my Gingivere needs to meet this Buckley. They sound like they would get along just fine. Peeing in carpeted corners of the house is a Gingivere specialty. Sigh!

We'll be thinking of you as you continue your journey through this!

Mary Ellen

PEE IN THE PAN!!!!.........WEE HAVE PEE IN THE PAN!!!:bunnydance:

Sometime during the night Buckley realized what the litter pan was for.

I won't know if he's still peeing everywhere else too, until I clean his drop pan.

At least it's a step forward.

He LOVES his hay, sunflower seeds, rolled oats, and dried papaya. Thinks timothy pellets are better given to the squirrels, though.

Back