Buckley B Bunny: A Foster Bun from Brooklyn, NY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
Iheard about this on bunderground. Thiswoman is leaving the country and if she cannot rehome her bunny or find someone to foster for 6 mos, she is going to release him into the wild. Bunny's name is Buckley and looks like a rex.

Can anyone in the area help?

PS. Someone already contacted her and told her releasing him is a death sentence.

bunny.jpg

Heres her post:

"As you all may know, I am leaving for the UK & Europe this Sunday to
follow my heritage trail, write, promote my book, give poetry
readings and do some soul searching. I regret to say that
my rabbit, Buckley (named after Jeff Buckley) will not fit in my
backpack and it is going to be extremely difficult to leave him.
He's been my roommate for 2 years and was purchased in Ohio just
after my grandfather's funeral. Our first day together was an hour
in the pet shop, another hour in a car, a very pricey fee added to
my flight back to New York, a 2-hour flight, another cab ride and
some time to hop around my apartment sniffing things. Then, the magic happened. Rabbits, when they consider you a part of their heard, will walk up to you, nibble your shoe a bit and rub their chin on your foot. This is the moment I was
inducted into his secret society and since then, we've been the best
of friends. Buckley needs a good home with someone who will love him and play with him. He is two years old, adwarf "Rex" breed (the smallest and softest) and truly a sweet animal. He also provides for a lot of interesting conversation from
cute boys or girls in the park I have explained to him why I need to go and I think he is sad right now. However, if I can either lend him to someone for six months or have him adopted, this will prevent his scheduled release into the wild of the Hamptons.
Yes, if I cannot find him a good home, my only option is to release him and I think if it comes to this, Jackson Pollock's house will be inspirational for Buckley and his freedom... although I don't really want to do this.

If anyone is interested or knows someone who can help, pm me for more info.

This is really sad :( I know that any bunny I loved I would either find a way for him to be safe, or not go on the trip.

It makes it easier knowing that someone has told her that it is bad to release him, that means any e-mails people send can be just enquiries.

I truly hope someone can help that bun. No bunny deserves that.

ACK!!!:(

The Hamptons are at the eastern end of Long Island and get some of the extremes of weather around here. That poor bunnie wouldn't stand a chance for long. Even if he made it through the summer heat and storms...he'd never make it through the winter.

Brooklyn is about 90 mileswest of the Hamptons. Where is she actually located?
I'm about 30 miles west of Brooklyn....at least a 2-1/2hour ride to the Hamptons though.
Will she be willing to transport the bun if needed?

I saw an appeal about this bunny on MySpace too. Sheesh, "Take my pet from me or I'll dump it". What a loser.

I hope someone in the New York area can help.

Jim- her profile on myspace says shes in williamsburg, brooklyn, NYC.I dont know about transport. I emailed the lady who originally posted this on bunderground to see if she has any more info.

It would be wonderful if you could help- or even foster for a while.

osprey wrote:
I saw an appeal about this bunny on MySpace too. Sheesh, "Take my pet from me or I'll dump it". What a loser.

Yeah really! Kind of a cold-hearted request.
Who would dump their "best friend" like that?

At least they didn't threaten to eat it, or feed it to a snake :shock:

Haley wrote:
Jim- her profile on myspace says shes in williamsburg, brooklyn, NYC.I dont know about transport. I emailed the lady who originally posted this on bunderground to see if she has any more info.

It would be wonderful if you could help- or even foster for a while.

It'd be kind of strange if she was willing to drive 2 hours to release him, but not want to drive half the distance to make sure he has a good home (even if it is temporary).

I might be able to foster him short term, but I would need to rehome him as soon as I could. She may have to agree that this would be a surrender/rehoming situation. Six months is a long time to foster a bun with the hopes that the owner "might" come back to claim them. I just don't havea lot of extra space now that I've expanded all of our cages. I've got wall-to-wall buns now.

Hey Jim, I dont have her email address so Id have to send your contact info to Jen at Bunderground so she could forward it. Is that ok? That way she could contact you tomorrow if she is willing to give him to you?

And if you didnt want to keep him of course we'll do all we can to help you rehome him.

*hugs*

Haley

Just to update:

The girl emailed me this morning and said she still has Buckley and had not found a home for him. She was thrilled to hear that Jim might be able to help. She said she was feeling very guilty about leaving Buckley and asked if Jim might foster until she returns from her trip.

I think a lot of what she wroteon her myspace pagewas more for dramatic effect. I think she really loves this bunny, but just isnt very educated on rabbit care. I think she, like a lot of people, dont know the dangers of releasing a domestic rabbit into the wild.

Anyway, I sent Jim her email address and she has his. I just hope they can arrange something. She leaves tomorrow for Europe.

Let us know if you hear anything Jim!

Emails sent....waiting for reply.

If they can get the bun to me, I'll be able to foster him for a while.

Started to clear a space and get stuff together in the meantime.
Floor mat......check
Cage......check
Waterbottle......check
Etc......check
:eek:ldman:

Im leaving to babysit for the night so I wont be able to check until late. :(

Im so nervous, I hope she gets your email and can get him to you asap!

Just got off the phone with Buckley's Mom.

We're going to meet at a hotel near the airport for the bunny-drop!!
We're meeting aroud 7:30p EST

:bunny17:

Cool :cool: I am so glad to hear there will be no release into the wild.

Just curious, How far do you have to travel to meet her? Will you be fostering the bun until she returns for himor do you have other plans?

Wow, thats great Jim! Let us know what the plan is as far as fostering/adopting him. We'll be happy to help.

He looks like quite the handsome dude in his pic. Cant wait to see more!

Latest posts

Back