Breeders!!! Cage Question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of it is sheer volume and logistics. Workload and health issues. Especially with unspayed/unneutered rabbits, its going to be messy, breeders with multiple rabbits will have a hard time keeping the floors clean. Its healthier for the rabbits to have the feces and urine fall through the wire, and more practical for the breeder.

There's also the matter of space and ventilation. Breeders will traditionally have more cages in a smaller area.

sas :bunnydance:

There are no physical standards for Pet rabbits. They are "judged" based on personality and companionship. Show rabbits are judged on physical attributes assigned to a particular breed.

BlueGiants wrote:
There are no physical standards for Pet rabbits. They are "judged" based on personality and companionship. Show rabbits are judged on physical attributes assigned to a particular breed.
Yes, I know that, but I was just wondering why there are two standards of what are deemed 'good enough' care and housing standards between pet rabbits and breeder's rabbits. As if whether they are called 'pets' or 'breeding' makes a difference on how big the housing matters to their wellbeing?
I thought the standard recommended housing size/ exercise time/diet etc. etc. was just....standard for the rabbit's wellbeing itself, and was actually worked out for the rabbit's health etc. etc.?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject.

A lot of it is sheer volume and logistics. Workload and health issues. Especially with unspayed/unneutered rabbits, its going to be messy, breeders with multiple rabbits will have a hard time keeping the floors clean. Its healthier for the rabbits to have the feces and urine fall through the wire, and more practical for the breeder.

There's also the matter of space and ventilation. Breeders will traditionally have more cages in a smaller area.

sas

Yes, I know that, but I was just wondering why there are two standards of what are deemed 'good enough' care and housing standards between pet rabbits and breeder's rabbits. As if whether they are called 'pets' or 'breeding' makes a difference on how big the housing matters to their wellbeing?
I thought the standard recommended housing size/ exercise time/diet etc. etc. was just....standard for the rabbit's wellbeing itself, and was actually worked out for the rabbit's health etc. etc.?

Pipp Answered this. It mainly because as a pet owner would maybe have 1 to 5 a breeder could have upwards of 20 plus. Breeders give as much room as possible. Buts it more of a room thing then anything else.

As a breeder would have 20 plus if they spend less time cleaning they can spend more time with the bunnies.

this is a very interesting discussion to me. yesterday misty sent me a link to a web site that has small animal supplies. take a look at these slotted mats, they seem pretty cheap and may keep the rabbits feet in better condition. scroll down, they are the 'slotted ez floor mats'

edit: forgot link, http://www.klubertanz.com/Catalog.htm

edit II: dangit i cant link directly to the page. if you go to cage parts and accessories on the left then to floor mats, slotted plastic, then scroll down you will find what i am writing about. :biggrin2:

jcottonl02 wrote:
Lol this could be a reaally stupid question haha but with wire cages wouldn't you have just as much cleaning to do, because all the poop and urine would just end up all over the floor? Or a bucket or whatever, that you'd have to clean anyway?

Sorry if its a hilariously stupid question but I've just been thinking about it hahaha lol :p

There are trays under the cages that cage the defecation and urine, so it doesn't go all over the floor (that would be very unsanitary and messy!). So you just have to dump the pan, squirt it with a hose if you need to, fill back up with shavings and then plop it back under the cage.

It used to take me about 1 1/2 hours to clean the cages in my rabbitry, but now with all wire, it takes about 30 minutes, if I keep focused and don't get distracted. ;)

Emily

"So you just have to dump the pan, squirt it with a hose if you need to, fill back up with shavings and then plop it back under the cage."

So you do not clean the wire that the rabbits sit on? The poop and pee touch it as it goes into the pan so they could get disease from it, too.

I wish I had a power wash, Sarah would power wash all her cages once every season. That sounds like an amazing ideal!

bunnybunbunb wrote:
"So you just have to dump the pan, squirt it with a hose if you need to, fill back up with shavings and then plop it back under the cage."

So you do not clean the wire that the rabbits sit on? The poop and pee touch it as it goes into the pan so they could get disease from it, too.

I wish I had a power wash, Sarah would power wash all her cages once every season. That sounds like an amazing ideal!

I do clean the wire, yes. ;) I don't wash it, but I take a bristle brush and get the pooh and hay out of the wire. I do bleach the cages every spring/summer, but I just put these cages in a few months ago, and I bleached them then... they will be getting rebleached in about a month or so - when I have a long weekend to do rabbitry spring cleaning.

I wish I had a powerwasher too! hah, that would be sooo helpful. I'm going to try the vinegar solution to help get the calcium build up off the pans though - couldn't get that off with just the hose or bleach solution the first time, so hopefully that will work and make the pans cleaner and nicer looking. That will probably also help with getting the calcium build up out of my litter boxes, too. Didn't think of that before!

Emily

Just don't mix the bleach and the vinegar together ;-)

It takes me an hour to clean 13 cages at the rescue (dog crates with newspaper down and a litter box). I totally understand the need to have wire floors in a rabbitry - you'd never have time to do anything else otherwise!

elrohwen wrote:
Just don't mix the bleach and the vinegar together ;-)

It takes me an hour to clean 13 cages at the rescue (dog crates with newspaper down and a litter box). I totally understand the need to have wire floors in a rabbitry - you'd never have time to do anything else otherwise!
Yes! It would take your hrs and hrs if they were solid cages. I couldnt do it because I dont have the time to spend that much on cages, I have real kids to take care plus other animals. I have have a 2 hrs in the morning to do chorces before hubby goes to work.. I dont like taking baby out there with me.

I use wood nest boxes so I do not have to worry about the calcium. I use many boxes without bottoms or wire bottoms as well as carboard boxes if I need :p

I use vinagar/water to clean in the house, it and the green products. It works well in the house for cleaning off grim and stuff. I used it to clean off the calcium off the bathroom floor, too, where Cameron was running lose in there for a while.

If only they peed on the solid floor insted of the carpet! I want one of them little Green Machines but insted I have this HUGE carpet cleaner that is back breaking to use.

We have an green machine too! We want the upgrade to the newer one that is also used for pets! Green Machine does better then our normal carpet shampooer!

bunnybunbunb wrote:
I use wood nest boxes so I do not have to worry about the calcium. I use many boxes without bottoms or wire bottoms as well as carboard boxes if I need :p

I use vinagar/water to clean in the house, it and the green products. It works well in the house for cleaning off grim and stuff. I used it to clean off the calcium off the bathroom floor, too, where Cameron was running lose in there for a while.

Wood nestboxes are lovely. lol, I use wood too. :) Although there are some pee stains, it's not bad. Do you bleach your wooden boxes? I was reading a book that said to do that, and I wasn't sure if the bleach solution would soak into the wood and cause rotting or not? Don't want to try it until I'm sure it's fine. ;) If so, I'm sure bleach could get the pee stains off the wood easily, especially since they're small - I have holes drilled in the bottom for sanitation.

Emily

Mrs. PBJ wrote:

sas

Pipp Answered this. It mainly because as a pet owner would maybe have 1 to 5 a breeder could have upwards of 20 plus. Breeders give as much room as possible. Buts it more of a room thing then anything else.

As a breeder would have 20 plus if they spend less time cleaning they can spend more time with the bunnies.

I did read Pipp's post, and understand what she said.

However these aren't really answering my question. Surely a standard is a standard and shouldn't be changed according to the occupation.
But it really doesn't matter lol. I clearly can't put my point across very well, and I'm sorta hijacking the thread :p

So thanks for trying to explain, guys, but no worries.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
Lol this could be a reaally stupid question haha but with wire cages wouldn't you have just as much cleaning to do, because all the poop and urine would just end up all over the floor? Or a bucket or whatever, that you'd have to clean anyway?

Sorry if its a hilariously stupid question but I've just been thinking about it hahaha lol :p

There are trays under the cages that cage the defecation and urine, so it doesn't go all over the floor (that would be very unsanitary and messy!). So you just have to dump the pan, squirt it with a hose if you need to, fill back up with shavings and then plop it back under the cage.

It used to take me about 1 1/2 hours to clean the cages in my rabbitry, but now with all wire, it takes about 30 minutes, if I keep focused and don't get distracted. ;)

Emily
Lol ah i see!!! You should have seen the image floating round in my head when I asked the question LOL! :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back