Breeders!!! Cage Question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey :),

The cages I have myMini Rexesin now (Bleck, I hate them. Soo hard to clean) are 3x3ft. When they're done being built they'll all be moved into 3 high stackers that are 4x3ft.

I have ten rabbits (including the 3 pre-juniors) and I have mainly 24x24 cages, but I do have two 30x30 brood doe cages, and two 24x26 (or 26x30? can't remember) as well.

Cage sizes depend on the breed of rabbit though. ;) I have Mini Rex.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I have ten rabbits (including the 3 pre-juniors) and I have mainly 24x24 cages, but I do have two 30x30 brood doe cages, and two 24x26 (or 26x30? can't remember) as well.

Emily
You are are saying that your rabbits are in 30x30 per rabbit?

mistyjr wrote:

Emily
You are are saying that your rabbits are in 30x30 per rabbit?

The brood does are in 30x30 cages. One per cage, and they are large enough for a litter of Mini Rex up to 6 weeks.

Is that what you were asking?

Emily

I was just wondering how big each cage was because some people tell me that my cages are to small! But they are big enough to move around in and have a nesting box in there.. And my aunt told me that my cages are just right. Not any difference then the stackable cages that some people use.

mistyjr wrote:
I was just wondering how big each cage was because some people tell me that my cages are to small! But they are big enough to move around in and have a nesting box in there.. And my aunt told me that my cages are just right. Not any difference then the stackable cages that some people use.

What size cages do you have?I see you have a Rex - is it in a larger cage than those of the Woolies, Dutch, Mini Rex and Lionheads? I'm just curious, because Rex are a lot bigger than all of those breeds, and should have a larger cage.

Emily

Yes. The Standard Rex is in her own Cage. We didnt not put an divider in her cage. We left it bigger because she is a big bunny! I know better then that... The cages are about 3x3 each bunny. Know better then the stackable cages or the cages that they sell in the Farm Store near us!

I have dwarf breeds. I use 24x24's and 24x30's for my pregnant does and does with litters. Cage size depends on the size of the litter, of course.

Bucks and juniors are in 18x24's.

mistyjr wrote:
Yes. The Standard Rex is in her own Cage. We didnt not put an divider in her cage. We left it bigger because she is a big bunny! I know better then that... The cages are about 3x3 each bunny. Know better then the stackable cages or the cages that they sell in the Farm Store near us!

3x3 definitely isn't too small for the breeds you have. ;) They are fine.

Emily

mistyjr wrote:

Emily
:biggrin2::biggrin2: Thanks, If you seen the cages of your own its different then seeing them in pictures! We are also thinking about doing some kind of run of some sort outdoors in the grass. So they can get more exercise.. I have 2 really over weight Dutch's. They arent showable or Brood's. They just eat and eat. And then after they are done eatting they think they need to eat more! I changed there diets now! They dont get as much as the other rabbits get

mistyjr wrote:
mistyjr wrote:

Emily
:biggrin2::biggrin2: Thanks, If you seen the cages of your own its different then seeing them in pictures! We are also thinking about doing some kind of run of some sort outdoors in the grass. So they can get more exercise.. I have 2 really over weight Dutch's. They arent showable or Brood's. They just eat and eat. And then after they are done eatting they think they need to eat more! I changed there diets now! They dont get as much as the other rabbits get

I bet they would love to get out there and run and run in that grass!! OH, and chomp, chomp, chomp on it! lol. That's the same way my bucks are - always wanting food! My buck Tahj knows how to take his hay rack off the side of the cage when it's empty or he wants more... I watched him doing for the first time yesterday... he makes it look easy, but gosh those things are sometimes hard to put on! lol. He's such a pig, and he was slighly overweight when we got him. Haven't weighed him since, and he hasn't been to a show yet. I'm only hoping that he has since slimmed down.

Emily

Yeah! I just have to get it dog proof! So the dogs dont get in there and think that they are food!

Bunnies ADORE having some time outside, least all mine do anyway, they would love to have some outdoor runs to binky around in :)

I have many diffrent sizes since I have been collecting cages over the years but I love my 3 x 2 solid bottom hutches best. Them and my 2 x 2 1/2 all wire cages but I just like them because they are good brood cages and I can easily bring them inside. I personally hate wire bottoms but I live with them. I do not have enough money to splurge on a butt load of solid bottom hutches of decent size.

That is why most people like them, but I just think they are the lazy breeder's paradise. Unless you have a wooled breed that is actually used for it's wool or showed I think the wire cages is useless. But I am not going to fight, to each their own.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
That is why most people like them, but I just think they are the lazy breeder's paradise. Unless you have a wooled breed that is actually used for it's wool or showed I think the wire cages is useless. But I am not going to fight, to each their own.

I see it like this: wire cages provide less cleaning time, which in turn, provides more time for handling, evaluating, grooming, and all that other good stuff. If you spent forever cleaning cages, this time would probably be limited quite a bit, whereas with wire cages, you can clean cages fairly quickly, and then have all that extra time to play with the bunnies.

Emily

Latest posts

Back