Breeders!!! Cage Question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bunnybunbunb wrote:
That is why most people like them, but I just think they are the lazy breeder's paradise. Unless you have a wooled breed that is actually used for it's wool or showed I think the wire cages is useless. But I am not going to fight, to each their own.

I believe wire floored cages help keep the rabbits healthier. Unless you are cleaning out the cages several times a day, the droppings and urine will build up. Any exposure to bacteria or parasites will be compounded by what sits in the cage. Coccidiosis re-infection cycle is 2-3 days... Pin worms and tape worms can become a re-infecting problem. E. Cuniculi is shed in urine...

Wire floors do not indicate "lazy" husbandry, more a concern for cleanliness and the health of the rabbit.

Are they 3x3 each or 3x3 devided into two? Because that would mean they were each only getting 18 inches x 36 inches. It is always hard to tell in pics what the true size of something is but they are your heard and if you think they are happy don't worry about what other people think.

"I think you need to think before you say something."

I have and there is no need to be rude. I have three solid bottom hutch cages, five wire bottomed hutch cages, twelve or so all wire cages and as many inside NIC cages I want. I have delt with many types of rabbit housing and -I- like solid bottom hutches for outside.

I would just rather take the few minutes it takes to clean the wood than pick fur off wire, or deal with a crusty pan. The money I spend on wood chips is not wasted either, everything goes in compost.

Most rabbits pick one spot to potty, I put linolium in that spot and add shavings and all is good. The rabbits seem to perfer the solid floor hutches and so do I. I have one girl who goes all sour and depressed if I move her from a solid floored hutch.

No worries about ripped nails, broken teeth on wire, food falling to waste, or babies getting on the wire. I have let does raise their babies in them without a nest box and it seemed to work amazingly.

I just perfer solid floored hutches. You all like all wire, I like solid floor. Each has their ups and downs and we all have our own opinions about them. It is nothing to fight about.

Lol this could be a reaally stupid question haha but with wire cages wouldn't you have just as much cleaning to do, because all the poop and urine would just end up all over the floor? Or a bucket or whatever, that you'd have to clean anyway?

Sorry if its a hilariously stupid question but I've just been thinking about it hahaha lol :p

Different breeders use wire floors and solid floors for different reasons, in the UK and Ireland, no breeders use wire floors :) It is all down to what is done in your area/country and what you prefer.

I like both, but prefer solid floors just because they are more comfortable for rabbits, especially in the cold weather, but wire floors are good since you don't have too spend much time cleaning! I only have 5 rabbits, and still have to spend about an hour and a half a week cleaning cages. So I can only imagine how long it would take for a large rabbitry!

Well, if you want them to be as clean as Blue Giants is talking about then the wire would need to be scrubbed with a soft brissel brush with either bleach water or vinagar water. Their poop and pee is still touching the wire and sitting on it. If they get diahrrea it gets so nasty. If the wire is not scrubbed often it gets a white crust, same with the pans, from the pee. It is easier to see problems with their pee and poop with the pans but a litter box is easier to clean.

Most breeders using the wire cages with drop pans clean them, what, once a week? As far as I know that usually just intails the dumping of the pans. I am sure many people spray the pans off, as well. As far as if they clean the actual area where the rabbit lives I suppose that is much more varied per breeder. I personally do not know any breeder that does that though.

I clean the solid bottom hutches every other day or so. All the waste comes out and the linolium is washed. The wood is washed as needed but they usually only potty in one area which is where I put the linolium.

I say the hutches is more sanitary just because it is cleaned more often, but we would need lab testing to have real proof which is more clean. Anyone willing to pay for that? xD

I just can't see how wires all day every day can be comfortable...obviously they are fine because otherwise so many people wouldn't be using them, but I just can't get my head around it.

I have 11 rabbits right now, not counting babies. I have a 3 hole stacker of 36 x 24s for my two champagnes and a hole on the bottom for broody does or growing out litters. I also have a six hole with 18 x 24 compartments for Senior bucks and non-bred does, but only if they're on the small side. I wouldn't put anything over fourlbs in these. I also have two 24 x 24 stand alones and 2 special brood cages that are 42 x 24. I'll also be putting my spots in these cages only once I find myself a doe.

They're all wire floored. Each and every one.

jcottonl02 wrote:
I just can't see how wires all day every day can be comfortable...obviously they are fine because otherwise so many people wouldn't be using them, but I just can't get my head around it.
Remember that as humans, all we're walking on is skin. It would get painful after awhile for us. But well-bred rabbits have a thick felted pad of fur on their hocks. So wire probably feels as well as solid wood does to the bunnies.:)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
Remember that as humans, all we're walking on is skin. It would get painful after awhile for us. But well-bred rabbits have a thick felted pad of fur on their hocks. So wire probably feels as well as solid wood does to the bunnies.:)

Yes I think I'm thinking of it in a very human point of view....
I guess they would have to have protection from stones and sharp objects on the ground, so that would in turn protect their tootsies from wires too.

Thanks! That makes sense:pinkelepht:

Jesus........that is just not right!!!!!

Also it makes unknowledgabe people think that that kind of cage is okay for rabbits!!!! Like when people trust stores, because they are stocking certain cages, they 'must' be okay for bunnies.

I hope one day this kind of stuff will change. Soon!!!!!

And your cages are fine Misty. The photos make them look smaller (why cant that be the case for my figure?? LOL! Instead of making me looking bigger lol), but u said they were about 3ftx3ft for one bunny? That's obviously not mansion size, but perfectly acceptable as you give them exercise time in the house too.

:)

Back