Blog for the Bun-Buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks can be deceiving, but she's normally grumpy. :p

Oddly enough, though, she was SUPER interested in whatever I was doing two mornings ago. I woke up before 3am. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I started my normal routine 2.5 hours earlier than usual. I let her out for the morning, which is a somewhat new thing. I gave her a craisin, and she did happy-circles around me. Then, when I sat down on the floor to put my shoes on before I had to leave, she started running circles around me and nudging me with her nose. She also would stick her head in my lap and run away to nudge at my shoes. She's getting a little friendlier, but I am still a little bit skittish around her.

Squee!!!!! Regiford popcorns!!!! And those pics on Cute Overload are too precious!! I just have to ditto the comments made on those cute pink pig feetsies!

Totally made my day with pic up-date and video of my little Regiford. Your kids all look so good and happy. Glad to hear that Sammi is finally trying to be your friend. Her antics sound to cute. Just those 'awe moments' that you will happy you wrote about when your blog gets to page 27, and you take the time to look back through it all.

:biggrin:Great up-date!!!!

myheart

Totally un-bunny related but... We got a new apartment! We have yet to move ANYTHING, but yeah. We can start moving in now, but don't have to pay for rent for July. Woohoo! I'm super happy now! :D

*happy dance*

Sad news... :(

Last night while we were packing up our stuff, I smelled that smell... It's the smell of a small critter that is no longer with us... I couldn't see into the hamster cage because Will put it up on a shelf, so he looked in and had a sad look on his face. Not one, but both of the remaining Hamigos were dead. One had eaten the other, and then died. The more recent of the two deaths looked fairly recent. Rigor mortis had not set in yet.

I don't get it! They were fine two days ago when I saw Will giving them food and water. They still had 3/4 of a bottle of water and half their food left. It has been warm here, but it didn't get above 80[sup]o[/sup]F inside. Plus, we have a ceiling fan that is going 24/7 (on low - they weren't in the direct breeze). The only thing that I can think of is that they were used to the air conditioning being on, then it was off the last two days (even though the weather was more dry and less hot than the previous days).

So, I am now hamster-less, again... I'm not going to get anymore hammies, though. I can't take the guilty feeling of them dying for no logical reason. :(

RIP, little Hamigos. Scamper free at the Bridge, babies :( :rainbow:

Oh no, not the Hamigos. That's so odd. :(

It actually has an identifiable "smell" or was t a feeling? :?

So sorry, Kelly.

There is a smell if they've begun to decompose. It's just an icky smell - like a rotting. I've had it where I've seen hammies the night before (like, just before bedtime), and by the time I got up the next morning, the smell was there. Will says he doesn't smell it unless he puts his head up near the cage, so either I have a strong sense of smell, or I'm just nuts.

The only thing I can think of is that we had the air conditioning on for a few days in a row, then we didn't one day and it was about 80[sup]o[/sup]F inside. Maybe the temperature difference did something? They were fine when Will checked on them while the air conditioning was on (during that time frame).

I think I am done with small animals and birdies for awhile. :( I will just devote myself to the bun-buns and Regiford P. Piggypants.

If it was up high, though, it would have been warmer up there than in the rest of the air-conditioned room. Also, they're desert creatures so I don't think it would be that big of a deal, unless it was like 68 degrees that they were used to (without snuggling in stuff) and then it went to 80... :? I know my guys snuggle up in old socks even when it's in the mid to high 70s. Not to be too morbid, but I wonder if it was a thing like when momma bunnies eat their dead babies so that predators don't find them from the smell, and the first one was sick when he died and the second one got that same illness? It's sad to think about, sorry.

tonyshuman wrote:
If it was up high, though, it would have been warmer up there than in the rest of the air-conditioned room. Also, they're desert creatures so I don't think it would be that big of a deal, unless it was like 68 degrees that they were used to (without snuggling in stuff) and then it went to 80... :? I know my guys snuggle up in old socks even when it's in the mid to high 70s.
I thought about the "up high, temperatures higher" thing. But then when I looked at the bookshelf again, I realized that our thermometer is on the same shelf that they were! It was right next to their cage (when I was checking the temperature). It's a Galileo glass thermometer (one of those glass ones with the colored glass floats). The floats are filled with liquids of different densities, so they rise/fall depending on the ambient temperature of the water. When the temperature rises, more floats fall to the bottom of the tube. The temperature is in-between the float at the top, and the one sunk to the bottom. The 80[sup]o[/sup]F one was always at the top, and the 76[sup]o[/sup]F one was at the bottom (on top of the other, cooler temperature floats). I hope that makes sense.

*** If not, HERE is the link to the Wikipedia article on them. ***

Not to be too morbid, but I wonder if it was a thing like when momma bunnies eat their dead babies so that predators don't find them from the smell, and the first one was sick when he died and the second one got that same illness? It's sad to think about, sorry.
I think you're right. It would make sense. Every time I have had a pair of hammies together and one died, the other would either try to eat the deceased before I could get to them, or they would avoid the body completely. I only had one pair of hammies where the male stayed snuggled up against the body of his mate. He actually bit me when I tried to get her out, so I left her there until he left on his own accord. By that time, he was old, so I don't know if he realized that she was dead? Anyway, I should stay away from little critters for awhile. I seem to be doing better with the larger ones.

Apartment Update:

The new apartment is tiring us out! We have most of the boxes packed and over there already, but we're hitting a wall with what to do next! We only have our dresser, clothes, fish tank, entertainment center, Will's tool chest, some kitchen stuff, and pets (and their stuff) left at the old apartment. We have been moving in for two days now (today is going to be the third).

I drove to work from the new place to see how long the drive is. Literally, it's about 4 minutes. I can walk there! :p From the old apartment, it was about a 7-to-10 minute drive, just because one of the roads goes up a hill in a spiral fashion, so that takes me about a 1/2-mile out of the way. So, I figure if I'm used to leaving the old place at 6:15am to get there for my shift at 6:30am, I should have to leave the new place around 6:20am. I will probably just keep leaving at 6:15am to be on the safe side, though. :)

Will and I finished painting the living room/mini-dining room and entryway of our new apartment. I found out that Will's painting skills leave a bit to be desired. We have to repaint a few areas where he "missed". The walls that I did look fabulous, though. :biggrin:

I lined most of the kitchen cabinets with contact paper last night. I have to pick-up another roll of contact paper so I can line the shelves underneath the counter. We ran out of contact paper just as we finished the last drawer! So, we have our dishes unpacked over there. Now if we could just move the food over there...

Our bedroom is funny-looking. Right now, there are two boxes and the bed in there. It's naked! :shock:

I will have to post pictures of the new place once we get it in order! :)

I probably won't be on RO too much until this gets settled. I will update everyone when I can!!!

Congrats on finally moving in! The worst part of moving is packing and unpacking! The best part is the decorating. You're so lucky you are close to your job. I have a 55 miles commute each way! It's not the driving, it's anxiously trying to get home to see the buns!

The best part about us moving is since we work at a nursing home, all of the boxes we have to move are for incontinent products. ^_^ Our new neighbors probably think we have issues. :p

kherrmann3 wrote:
The best part about us moving is since we work at a nursing home, all of the boxes we have to move are for incontinent products. ^_^ Our new neighbors probably think we have issues. :p
:roflmao: LOL!!!!! If your newneighbors are anything like mine, you will be watch so very, very closely.... :coolness: ;)

kherrmann3 wrote:
:lookaround :laugh:

The bun-buns were moved over to the new apartment two days ago. They are settling in just fine. I was worried about the heat at the old place, so I figured I could watch them better here (and not have to drive over twice a day to feed/water/snuggle them). We have a lot of moving to do still, and we still have a lot of unpacking to do. The new place looks like box-henge...

ETA: Regiford was moved over, along with the bunnies. :p

Back