Blog for the Bun-Buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, Sammi. This is so scary. I hope the meds are able to help her. Is a spinal cord problem the sort of thing that can just happen due to age or caused by some event, maybe she jumped funny or something? I don't know what to say. Poor bunny. I'm glad she seems to be in good spirits despite this, though.

Hearing about this makes me nervous about Penny's future because she has always walked funny and she is really bumbly, binkies into walls, etc. as if she has no control. And I mean walk, as in, she walks with her hind legs one in front of the other almost. Most of the time she hops but every once in a while she "walks". She doesn't have the same movement/reaction when people pick her up. I always thought she was kinda "slow" and odd but I always wonder in the back of my mind whether Penny isn't quite right. :expressionless Vet says her balance and leg use is within normal range when he examined her though.

I'm so sorry to hear that Sammi is a bit off-balanced. Did the vet suggest an x-ray of her back to see if she might have bone spurs, arthritis, or fusing in her backbone? Maybe there is something going on with the bones thatcauses swellingor pinching in the spinal cord affecting motor skills. Just thoughts...

:pray:Sending good vibes to little Sammi.

myheart

I am copy/pasting this from Sammi's infirmary thread:

Well, as of this morning, she's not doing very well. Will fed the rabbits their evening salads last night and went to bed. Sammi didn't eat it by this morning. I picked up the area she likes to hide under (expecting the worst), but she was there, just slumped over. She must have fallen overnight (or yesterday) and wasn't able to get back up. I picked her up and put her in the little pet bed in her cage. She drank a ton when I put the water bowl by her. I had to give her a butt bath, too, because she had soiled herself after I sat her in the litter box. I moved some stuff around in her cage and rolled up some towels to put along the bottom of the cage (in case she rolls over, she has something soft to fall on). I also rolled up some towels for some extra padding on the sides of the cage. I wish I knew what to do. She is eating hay and lettuce right now, and she is still trying to move. Am I just making her suffer by keeping her around?

I guess there is no right or wrong answer, or for that matter agood answer. Every pet guardian has so many things to weigh out when considering such a question. Without further testing/x-rays you might not have all the answers you need to know if she will have any degree of recovery. Therefore your decision will have to be based on what you know and how Sammi is doing physically. I always tell people to watch the pet's eyes because that is where you will find out if they are tired and ready to go. TreasuredFriends usually goes by the three A's: Appetite, Attitude, and Affection.

It is a tough decision. One that you will have to know in your heart is the best for Sammi.

:pray: :hug:

myheart

Well, for now we've set her up in an old Wabbitat-style cage that we had in storage. Normally, I'm anti-tiny cages for bun-buns, and we only have that cage from when we got Miss Emma McFluffybottoms from Craigslist. I bought some adult incontinence pads from the store and placed one on the bottom of the cage. Then, I rolled-up some towels and placed them along the sides where they meet the floor. She has a litter box that has no litter in it, just hay. She can't hop into the box anymore, so I figure it is just a way to keep her from peeing on her timothy. She has a water bottle and a crock, for now. Surprisingly, she does better in the small cage. I think it's because when she falls, she is able to stretch out and get footing on something (the towels along the edges) to right herself. She was actually sitting up like a normal bunny in the middle of the cage. The last few days, she only sits up "normal" when she backs herself into a corner. She has been getting lots of attention and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I haven't noticed her grinding her teeth or anything, so maybe she's just weak/not in pain? I don't know.

We stopped the de-wormer and antibiotic since there was no improvement. I also noticed that since she hasn't been well, she has stopped eating her pellets. Is that normal? She still munches hay all day and eats her salads when I give them to her. We gave her critical care a few days ago, too. We might have to give that to her as needed.

Here's a quick Toby update: Sorry, no pictures. :(

He's been fine. I let him out yesterday evening after we got Sammi situated in her new cage. Her new cage is out in the living room, where Toby gets to have his run time. The little jerk was doing binkies and bunny-500's around her cage. They did do some nose-bumps through the wire. I think I saw Sammi groom Toby a little, too! He gave her some grooming, too. So, other than binkying around her, eating her hay, and pooping near her new cage, I'd say that he's being a little nicer to her. ;)

Aw, how sweet of Toby to be nicer to Sammi while she's not feeling her best. Do they used to groom each other? I had the impression that they weren't very friendly with each other.

What a stinker that Toby is!!! My girls do the same thing to the foster-kids also. It's all fun and games when they are the ones running around loose, but let one of the foster-buns out and it becomes a whole different game. :rollseyes

Glad Sammi is okay with her new set-up. Sounds like you've tried to make it comfortable and more livable for her. Good to hear that she is still enjoying her snacks. That seems like a good sign considering her condition. Keep us posted on how she does and if she gets the chance to nip that stinker-Toby in the butt for teasing her. ;)

myheart

Sammi is not doing well. She has lost her sense of balance to the point that she can no longer stand. Whenever we see her, she's flopped down (and her head laid down, too). She's still eating, so I don't know what to do. Her fur was matted with urine and feces this morning. I had to give her an "undercarriage wash" (as Will called it) and cut her fur a little to prevent more waste stuck.

Next stressful thing: Will and I are leaving for the holidays. We are driving to Michigan to have our Christmas party with Will's family, and we're leaving on Christmas Day to get there. We won't be home until New Year's Eve. I am dropping Toby, Reggie, and Noodle (hamster) off at my mum's, and Sammi is staying with our friends. I figure that because our friends our home all the time (retired), they will be home more often than my mum. That way, they'll be able to monitor Sammi, change her position, and give her more one-on-one time than my mum would be able to.

To make matters worse, I think I have a hernia. I had my appendix out 12 years ago, and I have had on-and-off pressure/discomfort in that area since. Now, whenever I sit down, it hurts. I have to put pressure on my lower abdomen (right side) to make the discomfort go away. Once I do that, I'm normally fine. It's just really annoying.

I hope that the holidays get a little better on our end.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
(not sarcastic - seriously!)

Isn't is always around the Holidays?!

I'm so sorry that Sammi isn't improving with your care. I do hope that your friends will feel comfortable with whatever could happen during the week you are gone. Do make sure that you let your vet know that they have permission to bring Sammi in, if need be. Hopefully, Sammi will be a good girl for you, and them, during the time you are gone.

My sister had her hernia taken care of earlier this year. They used these huge pieces of mesh on the inside of her abdominal wall to correct it. I do think the doctor only used those little scope holes to do all of the surgery. Hope you are able to get that checked out soon enough before it gets too bad or too painful. :hug:

Have a good time visiting family!!

myheart

btw... I received a message from Regiford saying that he wants to spend the Holidays with me. I'll be happy to meet you on your route, although my schedule might be kind of busy for you to pick him up on your way back home. ;)

Hey! How are things? How's Noodle?!

OMG I LOVE THIS PHOTO
tobystatue.jpg

He SO reminds me of Louie. He has that SAME look!!

Toby reminds me of a bunny that came into the shelter as a stray. He was gray with white just like him but probably had a slender build. He was SOO cute! They named him Larry. The fact that that is not a "typical" rabbit name made the name that much cuter! I wanted him mainly because his name was Larry. LOL

Back