Blog for the Bun-Buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL love your bunniful story. Doesn't Will know by now you're a bunneh ladeh? :) I looove Bunny Tracks. There's something really delish about Blue Bunny vanilla...

Great pics btw! I saw most of the same critters in Costa Rica! One of the best destinations I've ever been to! It's an amazing adventure land. Did you do any canopying/ziplining? ;)

I did! I went in Arenal. Also, I went white-water rafting during a torrential downpour. The river swelled, and even the guide was like, "Oh, %&@^!" lol

OK, I lied about the next series of photos. Since I've been lazy and haven't uploaded the scenery pictures yet, I figured that I should do it now. I will post the non-critter pictures of stuff from Tortuguero. I will also get ALL of the Arenal pictures up today. :p

I pulled a full double at work yesterday 0630-2230. For those of you that don't know military time, that was a 16-hour shift that ended at 10:30pm. Blah! Of course, at 10:30pm, I was saying goodbye to the nurse I had worked with over the last 8 hours, and she had said a little comment about "now go home to your family!" My response was something like, "What family? I have bunnies!" :) She then mentioned that she had a bunny and guinea pig, so, upon learning this new information, I stopped in my tracks and came back to talk to her for another 15 minutes. She has a little Polish dwarf. It's her daughter's Christmas present from 3 years ago. What shocked me was that she actually let the bun-bun out pretty often. It also sounds like she's unaltered and is potty trained! :shock: Every female bun-bun I've met that was unaltered was a little piggy! Anyways, I was telling her about Yesterday's News or pine pellets for cheap litter and also discussed the hypnotic/rabid tendencies of Craisins. Poor Will had also pulled a full-double and was waiting for me down by the punch-clock. In the end, I got paid another 15 minutes of overtime to talk about bunnies lol! (Side note: Now that I'm in-house-pool there, over-time is like $18 an hour!)

kherrmann3 wrote:
I did! I went in Arenal. Also, I went white-water rafting during a torrential downpour. The river swelled, and even the guide was like, "Oh, %&@^!" lol

I forgot where I did it but it wasn't Arenal. I'll remember one day. I really loved Costa Rica.... I mean, the food was absolutely delish. Something about it was so simple and pure. I tasted the veggies the way they were meant to taste. I also went to Manuel Antonio where the power kept going out while we were there :( The place I really enjoyed was actually Monteverde. It's up in the mountains and much cooler than the rest of the country. Really beautiful! I went rafting too! But I went in April, so it was the end of the dry season and the river was really tame.

Yeah... About those pictures... I guess Photobucket doesn't like me, and it ate my pictures. I have been trying to re-upload them, but they're not working. I will have to do some putzing, but I'll get it back up and going. Sorry, folks. :(

Well, the battle was valiant, but I stand victorious! Photo Bucket is now cooperating with me. So, enjoy the Tortuguero scenery! lol

I took lots of flower pictures...

Da rain forest...

Me in da rain forest. :p

Cool vine in da rain forest...

My mum, relaxing:

Tortuguero: This place is so remote, the only "vehicle" there is a 4-wheeler used for garbage pickup. They get around by foot, bike, or boat.

The peeps of Tortuguero:

Sexy... lol

Chickens, everywhere!

... Well, roosters, too!

Caribbean Sunrise:

Sea-turtle tracks in the morning. We got to see some Green Sea Turtles laying eggs the night before. There were so many! It was ridiculous!

Our hotel from the river:

This was where our room was. My grandma and aunt were in the first room on the left, and my mum and I were in the second one (ours was the first screened window that you can see).

The view from our room:

This was a path on the hotel's grounds.

The pool!

Some Oropendula nests (See previous posts for pictures of Montezuma Oropendulas!)

Now, on to Arenal National Park! The park is approximately 46 square miles of land and contains the Arenal Volcano. The Arenal Volcano is the most active in the country. While we were there, it did three mini-eruptions. It scared the heck out of me, but I got some good snaps of it! We got to hike on a trail at the foot of the volcano, but it wasn't very exciting there. We did the zip-lining here, too! It was awesome! I even got to hear a Three-wattled Bellbird while I was waiting in line on one of the zip-lining platforms. They sound so cool! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnu8QbpImWw]Click here[/ame] for a video of a Bellbird doing it's awesome call. That's not my video, though. I never got to see the little booger, but I did hear him. To me, their call sounds like a higher-pitched version of a fire truck honking its horn. While up in the cloud forest for the zip-lining, I also saw a few White-nosed Coatis. They were cute! The hotel that we were at, Los Lagos, had volcanic pools on site. They ranged from cold to about 100[sup]o[/sup]F. They were sooo nice, but they smelled like sulfur. lol It was a short stay there, but here are the pictures! Enjoy!

The volcano:
img1883r.jpg

img1894i.jpg

This is our hotel complex. There was no one else there, since these were the "handicap accessible" rooms. Our room was the bottom left one in this picture. My aunt and grandma were next door.
img2027s.jpg

The view of the volcano from our hotel room:
img2043vl.jpg

Sunrise from the back porch of our room:
img2098t.jpg

There were plants growing off of plants!
img2047w.jpg

Look at all the stuff!
img2049oq.jpg

Ka-BOOM!
img2102r.jpg

In this photo, you can kind-of see the rocks bouncing down the right side:
img2103aq.jpg

Another, different, eruption:
img2162o.jpg

"Touchy Fern" You know, the kind you poke and they fold up? I found one in bloom! :)
img2173t.jpg

Assorted rain-forest picture:
img2174c.jpg

Stairway along the path:
img2175cz.jpg

Lake Arenal
img2183x.jpg

Back at the hotel, here is a picture of the garden one moment:
img2214f.jpg

... and a minute or so later!
img2220h.jpg

Fish in the pond from the previous picture. There were gar, koi, and tilapia in there.
img2216u.jpg

img2282p.jpg

img2217d.jpg

The "end" of the pool chain. Water came down from higher on the volcano, through several pools, then ended up flowing into the koi pond (seen here), down another waterfall, under the road, then I have no idea where it went!
img2219g.jpg

Path in one of the gardens:
img2285q.jpg

An interesting dragonfly:
dragonfly1e.jpg

Some hummingbirds from the gardens:
img2324ed.jpg

img2337o.jpg

img2262e.jpg

img2261m.jpg

Rufous-tailed Jacomar. See him hiding in the bush? (It's a bird)
img2270d.jpg

Rufous-collared Sparrow:
sparrowrufouscollared2.jpg

Southern Rough-winged Swallow:
swallowsouthernroughwin.jpg

Black-cheeked Woodpecker family...
woodpeckerblackcheeked3.jpg

Mama and Daddy...
woodpeckerblackcheeked1.jpg

... and little Junior!
woodpeckerblackcheeked2.jpg

Orange-chinned Parakeet
parakeetorangechinned1.jpg

parakeetorangechinned2.jpg

Blue-black Grassquit:
img2138xy.jpg

Yellow-faced Grassquit (male & female)
grassquityellowfaced1.jpg

grassquityellowfaced2.jpg

Groove-billed Ani
anigroovebilled2.jpg

Spider in my aunt and grandma's room. It was about the size of my fist!
img2035m.jpg

My mum and I only had the 2" long slug:
img2037h.jpg

Bananaquit:
img2251k.jpg

img2249.jpg

Golden Orb Spider:
spidergoldenorb1.jpg

kirbyultra wrote:
I think I saw the eruptions from the same place because I am pretty sure I got a picture of the same exact tree LOL
It's funny you mention that, because when I went through my pictures with my friends Mary and Meredith (who are actually my old roommate's parents - but they're like our best friends), they had a lot of pictures of the same scenery! It was like they took pictures of the same bit of shoreline from the same spot! Great minds think alike, eh?

How do you know all the names of the critters!?
I am a bird-watcher, so I had my handy little field guide on me at all times. I know the features/anatomical field marks of the bird families from here, so I based the basic shape and habits of birds I saw there. Then, I would review pictures and narrow it down to the species with the help of the field guide. I still have a few "mystery birds" to sort through, though. I've always been a big animal geek. When I was a kid, we didn't have cable, and I didn't like watching Sesame Street or the Muppet Show (keep in mind, I was born in 1987, so not the best childhood TV shows, in my opinion). I grew up watching PBS's Nature and NOVA. I remember when we first got cable: My mum couldn't pry me away from the TV if the Discovery Channel was on. Then came Animal Planet, Discovery Health, National Geographic, etc. I also read the National Geographic magazine as a child. I was the only kid who would bring those magazines to school with me to read... I was a lonely child. lol

Here's a Toby update:

Sadly, it's not a very good one. I've noticed that since we moved, we haven't had a single bunny binky out of either of them. Yesterday, I let Toby out for scamper-time, and he was exploring. I heard him chewing on the shag carpeting. I got up to pick him up, tell him no, etc. I noticed that his nails were pretty long. Then it hit me: I haven't trimmed his nails since we moved in July. I don't even remember when I trimmed them last! :( I felt horrible, so I went to trim his nails. Since we haven't been able to find the "bunny box" with the animal nail trimmers in it, I had to use people ones (which I know you're not supposed to do...). I trimmed all of his nails fine, but I noticed that his little hocks were looking a big rough.

I pushed the fur aside and noticed that his little feetsies were red. I don't know if it's sore hocks or urine scald, or both. :( His butt-fluff was all brown from urine, too. He hasn't been grooming his bottom as well as he used to. I felt so bad. I was trying not to cry while I was washing his feet and trimming his bum fur. Now, he has nice, clean, trimmed butt-fluff and clean feetsies. Luckily, I had some cream for sore hocks still laying around from when we fostered Berry-Boo (being a Mini-Rex, she seemed to always have a "mild" case of redness on her hocks).

So, now I'm cleaning and applying cream to his feet twice a day. I also gave him a tiny bit of metacam (like, 1/4 of his prescribed dose from when he got it from the vet). I felt rotten. When I put him down on the floor again, he hopped away and was giving me the flicky-feets of shame. After a few minutes, I laid next to him on the floor and gave him lots of scratching and lovin'. I kept apologizing and was choking back tears again. Then, the little booger gave me bunny-kisses on my nose - I broke down. I started to cry.

I felt stupid, but it amazes me that animals, who are considered "lesser beings", are capable of not holding a grudge and being mad at and/or scared of their parents after they do those unpleasant medical things to them. I hope the little guy gets better soon.

I don't get how his hocks could get so sore. He lives on carpeting, has a big litter box with no wire or anything to stand on, has Yesterday's News as litter - which is changed every-other-day, and he doesn't run around on hard surfaces often. The only thing that I can think of is because of his nails being longer. Maybe it hurt to put pressure forward so he was putting more pressure on the "heel" of his foot? I don't know, but I still feel bad. I need to check Sammi today. I can't handle her alone, so I had to wait for Will to come home to do it. He worked a double yesterday, and I have school all day today. I will have to check her over ASAP this afternoon. Let's hope her little footies are OK. :(

LOL lonely child! At least you had good reasons ;) But we all turn out ok!

That's so sad about Toby's hocks. Don't feel too bad. Sometimes human stuff gets in the way of what's important -- our bunny masters. I think you've had your fair share of them this year. Toby must understand that and he loves you dearly. I'm sure he is just glad that you are helping to turn it all around. I think sore hocks can develop regardless of soft padding and traction if the placement of feet is off. Same thing in humans. We can wear all the right shoes but if our walking posture is shoddy, then your feet will suffer. Since you got him on cream and metacam and have remedied his long nails I am sure he will be fine in no time. Huggle him more :)

Hope Sammi doesn't have similar stuff happening!

"giving me the flicky-feets of shame". lol perfect description! i know exactly what you mean by that! no matter what i do i seem to get that from my walter. he's always the disapproving bunny

:D how spoiled they are. bet the salads are measly too. ;)

Plenty of snorgles with furrbutts, 'nd face or bosom cuddle time!,

Well, Toby went to the vet yesterday for a check-up. The vet said that his hind feets don't have sore hocks. They're just callouses. There's still fur on them, so she's not concerned. His teeth, ears, eyes, nose, etc. look fine, too. When I mentioned his lack of binkies to her, she wanted to do x-rays and blood work. $320+ later, I find out that he has a little arthritis starting in his thoracolumbar region (where his ribs end on the spine and the low-back vertebrae start), near where his pelvis joins (his hip sockets are fine, it's the vertebrae again), and somewhere in his tail. We now have red palm oil and Cosequin to give him daily. I hope that works. I don't want my little gray guy to be achy from now on. She said that it's a mild case, so she doesn't know if it's even bothering him yet. The meds are just going to keep it from getting worse.

I do have pictures of his x-rays to share, though. :p
toby2.jpg

toby1lk.jpg

ETA: The vet wanted to do x-rays to rule-out kidney or bladder stones as a reason for the lack-of-binkies.

Yeah, it does look a bit painful there (to my untrained eye)--some denser and bigger bones. Glad you're getting him on the Cosequin--I hope his binkies return! I'm curious about the red palm oil--should be interesting to see if it will help!

Quick question--did they seal his neuter internally with wound staples? It looks like he has staples in that area. I'm just curious if that's what I'm seeing.

Latest posts

Back