Blog for the Bun-Buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Happy new year, everyone! I finally decided to start my 2010 blog. :p I am a procrastinator. If anyone is interested in my old blog, they can find the link here.

So here are the updates! :D

Tobias L. Bunny (Toby)
1006473mo5.jpg

Toby is my baby. He still is, and always will be! :hearts: His newest "thing" has been to jump up on top of his little house when I bring food to his cage. He needs a "sample" of whatever I have in my hand before he will eat the rest of it. It doesn't matter if it's the same food that I have been feeding him for the last year or not. He still wants a sample (it's great when I give him hay, I always pick out the nicest strand of hay for him). He still loves to come out and binky his little butt off. I haven't gotten any recent videos of him being a little cutie, but I will try to update this blog at least once a week!

Sammi (McSammersons)
1010082.jpg

Sammi was doing OK. She was being a very sassy bunny. I still call her "little miss prissy-pants", in reference to her persnickety ways. On New Year's Eve, she attacked my face. It was great...:grumpy: I was lying on the floor, petting her, and she normally does a little "mock lunge" at you before settling in and going into the "pet me" position. She had done several mock lunges before, but this time she followed through. She bit onto my glasses, starting digging furiously at my face, and then when I tried to get up and away, she bit onto my scalp... Hard. Will thought it was hilarious. I punched him in the chest. Game over. :p

Yesterday, I was getting ready for work and I noticed that Sammi wasn't opening her right eye. She would open it just enough to look like she was squinting. It looked a little wet, so I figured that she may have gotten some dust in her eye. I told Will to look after it, and if it wasn't better by the time I got home from work, we would go to the vet. Her eye looked worse when I got home 8 hours later. It was swollen a bit, more moist, and her eyelids were a darker red. I called the vet at 2:55pm, and luckily, they had an opening 3:30pm. Bad thing: we live 30 minutes away. We made it there in time though (thanks to Will's crazy Michigan driving skills). Dr. Bloss looked over Sammi and did a stain in her eyes. After she shone the special light on her eyes, you could see exactly what happened to Sammi. She has an eye ulcer. It's a pretty big, tear-drop shaped one. It doesn't take up more than 10-20% of her eye surface, though. It just looked nasty. We got Metacam and some antibiotic eye cream and have to go back in a week. McSammersons was on her best behavior at the vet (how the heck does that happen!?). She was happy to be home, though. I will update everyone on her eye when we go back to the vet on Thursday!

Regiford (Reggie)

1019450.jpg

Well, the little fweeper is doing just fine. We changed his litter from kiln-dried pine bedding to pine pellets, and it is far less stinky. I don't have to change his cage every-other-day now, either! (Twice a week is fine for me!) He has become more and more vocal, and wheeps every time Will or I walk into the room at night and turn the light on. He loves his veggies and gets very excited over his orange slices. He goes nuts for carrots, too!

Psycho (the finch) (left one)
psychoandmeepers2gb9.jpg

We still have our one zebra finch, Psycho. Unfortunately, his brother, Meepers, died a month or so ago. We were told they were 2[sup]1/2[/sup] years old when we adopted them over a year ago. We think that Meepers died when he was about 4 years old (or older). Psycho seems lonely, and I want to get him another friend but don't know how to go about it. So, if anyone knows how to introduce finches, let me know! :p

The Three Hamigos (Lucky, Dusty, & Ned)
1019307.jpg

My three little hamigos are doing just fine. They are cute, super-speedy, and adorable! :p Yes, they need two adjectives to describe their cuteness! They live out in our living room because they are so loud at night. Three little hammies fighting for the same wheel gets obnoxious at 2:00AM. ;)

Bunnies of the past:

I figured I should make an area for my past bunnies. Both are alive and well to my knowledge, but were rehomed.

Berry-Boo (now Felice)

1005611oj6.jpg

Our old foster-bunny. She was adopted over a year ago. We still miss her mini-rex behaviors and shenanigans. She was a binky machine. She loved mirrors, towels, anything box-like, and attention from Will. She was just a sweet, sassy little bun. We miss her dearly.

Miss Emma McFluffybottoms (Emma)
1009280.jpg

Miss Emma was a rescue from Craigslist. We got her on New Year's Eve (Dec. 2008) and had to rehome her in spring. She was a good little bunny, but she was special needs. Towards the end of her living here, we started to think she was deaf. She would "scan" her surroundings by moving her head side to side, and if you clapped or made loud noises, she wouldn't be startled. She would get startled if she didn't see you coming and you were suddenly there, though. We had to rehome her because she bit Toby a few times (they were bonded, but the bond broke). She was rehomed elsewhere, but she hated her new owner and would attack her. That owner rehomed her to a lady that, to the best of my knowledge, still has her and spoils her rotten.

That's all I have right now. Happy (belated) new year, everyone!

happy new year! hope mcsammerson is faring well - perhaps that was why she bit you new years eve:? cant help you with finches im afraid:)

I love robo's..they are hilarious.
As for the finches, what I did with my parakeets is keep the cages next to each other for about a week or two...then if they are finger tame or winged clip, give outside time together. If not, take the main cage, rearrange and/or replace the items, and introduce them in the "neutral" territory. Buying the opposite sex always helps (They rarely breed in my experiance)
And Sammi sounds vicious!

Thank you for the replies, everyone! I emailed a "finch expert" about what to do. Due to limited space and resources, I don't think I could do the two cage thing. :( I live in a small, already overcrowded apartment.

Sammi is doing OK with her medicines. Surprisingly, I am able to administer them by myself. Will is going to have to do the noon eye meds while I am at work during the week. I can handle the 6AM and 6PM meds. She is getting an antibiotic eye cream 3-4 times per day. Then, she is getting metacam once a day. We give her the metacam around 6PM with her eye ointment. She has been doing well. She still boxes at me and attacks me when I come to get her for medicine time. *sigh* You can love all animals, but that doesn't make them love you back.

Hiiiiiiiiiii Kelly! Happy new year!
Sammi sounds feisty, sheesh. Not funny, bitten on the scalp doesn't sound cool. But you caught her eye ulcer early. She may develop a softer side for you with more care from you in her time of need. I remember that's how Toby got all snuggly with you :)

Say hi to Toby for me and my crew. He is always adorable. "The Three Hamigos" still crack me up.

kirbyultra wrote:
She may develop a softer side for you with more care from you in her time of need.
Ha! If anything, she looks at me with more hatred in her eyes! Thanks for the positive wishes, though! Maybe she'll hate me so much, she'll blow a fuse in her brain and like me! :p That would be great!

On a side note: I checked my college grades for last semester, and I got a 4.0! :bow

OK, this has nothing to do with the bunnies, but it was too funny to not share. Will and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant tonight for dinner. We ordered boneless wings. For sauces, we picked sweet BBQ, parmesan something-or-other, medium, and blazin'. Blazin' is the hottest/spiciest sauce they have. We were eating our wings and I tried one of the "medium" ones. It had an unnaturally long-lasting burn to it. Half of a glass of water and some of my non-alcoholic strawberry margarita later, my mouth was still burning. I was afraid to try the blazin' sauce after that. Will was going to go in for the gusto and try the blazin' sauce wings. He tried it, and nothing. It wasn't hot at all. Then we noticed that the staff had mixed up the little stickers on the basket that labels the sauce types. Will ate almost all of the blazin' sauce wings before we realized what happened! So, I survived eating the blazin' sauce wings there. Will was kind of disappointed, because he wanted something hotter than the "medium" ones! Poor Will! Now, an hour and a half later (with some Tums, of course!) my stomach is finally settling down. It was just a funny thing. Had to share!

:p

Hi Kelly, great start to your new blog for the fur-kids. Poor Sammi and poor you.... :hug:. That is tough to have a bunner turn on you when you least expect it. I think it would completely break my heart if one of my kids did that. Sammi must have been in some pain to attack you like that.

I can't wait for more Toby pics!! Is it time for another update yet?! Mr. Regiford ready to pack his little suitcase for a visit with me? Smooch the piggie-lips!!!

I might have to start a new blog for my kids also. If you make a few more posts, maybe I'll feel like I need to catch up and get mine going.

myheart

Sammi's eye is healed! Will took her back to the vet on Thursday, and the corneal ulcer is completely gone. She's happy with it (no more eye meds, yay!). Also, this gives me a chance to try out how VPI (vet. pet insurance) works with claims. I submitted two claims, so we'll see how that goes.

Toby is molting. :( He just finished his fall molt, but he's at it again. I brought out the Shed-Ender and went to town. How can such a small bunny make such a big fluffball!? I didn't think it was possible for so much fluff to come off him. Poor little guy. I will have to be diligent about his grooming.

No pictures right now... Sorry. :( I have to get some batteries for my camera.

Awww, little Toby is fluffernutters? It just seems like in the colder months they are shedding nonstop. It doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't they cling onto their fur more tightly when it's cold? :p

Glad Sammi is better! Yay!

Update: Week of Jan. 24

Everybody has been doing well here. Toby has cactus-butt at the moment, and I can't seem to brush him enough. I looked like a shag carpet after the last grooming session! Ugh! I vacuum enough as it is! He's been doing well and is loving the extra attention. Will's brother, Jesse, is in from Michigan to visit, and he likes to come in and pet the bunnies and piggy. Toby LOVES the extra attention.

Sammi is OK with it, but she doesn't seem as happy as Toby. Also, her eye is all better, too! She has been her normal, sassy self. Not too much new with that...

Regiford has been a little booger lately. He wants loves of attention, so I take him out when I am in the bedroom. I put him in his upside-down igloo with a towel in it, and he cuddles in there while I am vegging out. I have some pictures, too. Enjoy!

Toby surveying his kingdom:
1019703.jpg

Begging for a treat:
1019704.jpg

Cuddling with Reggie (they somewhat get along). They just wait for each other to groom them (which never happens)!
1019699.jpg

Piggy leeps (just for you, Janet!)
1019700.jpg

Reggie's moolap, in all its glory:
1019707.jpg

Only one picture of Sammi this week. She wasn't cooperating. :grumpy:
1019696.jpg

Aw, Regiford and Toby are so cute together. It almost looks like they're similar in size? How funny that neither of them will give it up!

kirbyultra wrote:
It almost looks like they're similar in size?
Regiford is about half the size of Toby. The way they are sitting makes them look similarly sized. Toby is only 3[sup]1/2[/sup] pounds, while Reggie is big for a guinea pig (honestly, I've never weighed him, but he looks like a porker)!

Latest posts

Back