Becca's Beautiful Bunnies Business

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck :)

is possible that if he ate hay before but isn't now, he has spurs that are preventing him eating hay (one potential reason not to breed from him, if this is the case because teeth alignment can be genetic) so it might be worth having his teeht checked with an otoscope.

Not eating hay can be the first symptom.

Other symptoms are not eating pellets, or wanting to eat food and walking away, seeing food fall out the mouth, drooling, swelling on the face, one eye watering, one nostril running,gut slow down/stasis, things like that. Molar spurs are very common but buns with them shouldn't really be bred unless you can work out why the problem is happening. It is also something that will reoccur at some point, but the interval is variable for different buns.

ETA linky. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11901&forum_id=10

Remember though that he might just be being a turdy, lol, but it always helps to be aware :)

Oh Dear, how long should I leave it until I get him checked out?

And also you know after Christmas we might be getting a new doe who should I breed with Dippy or Benjamin? I want to get Dippy neutered soon becuase then I could get his teeth checked at the same time.....

Though I am bearing in mind that Benjamin is already a cross, He is Lionhead/Dwarf/Mini Rex, should we get a Mini-Rex doe?

I've been following your posts and I'm not sure if it will help to say any of this, but if you and your family are determined to breed and are getting a new doe to breed instead of fostering a pregnant one, you really should think about getting a buck of the same breed.

Do the research. Find out the breed standards, decide which colours you want to breed and find out what colours the parents will need to be to get those. Then get two, healthy rabbits of the same breed and make the breeding at least WORTHWHILE. Aim for beautiful, purebred rabbits (not to say that mixes aren't beautiful too, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

Plus if Dippy's got dental issues, you shouldn't breed from him. Besides from being a mix, Benjamin is also Dippy's son, and may also have the genes for the same dental issues. I wouldn't recommend breeding either of those boys.

And I'm not trying to start a big long argument/breeding discussion on this thread, because it;s your blog and that's not what it's for. But those are my suggestions.

:(
But I'm not allowed to get ANOTHER Buck. :(
Becuase I want to keep the mommy too so I would rather not foster though that would be easiest.....

Becuase we were going to keep the mum and a baby so we would have 6 bunnies. Anymore would be too much :?

To be honest Becca, you can't breed from either really because they both potentially have defective genes, because Benjamin is Dippy's son and has his genes. Basically it already comes back to what you have already been told, about them being pet rabbits for a reason. They are sold as pets because they are not meant to be bred and may have genetic problems that shouldn't be passed on.

When Dippy goes for his VHD, which is soon, right? Ask the vet to check his teeth then, which would save a vet visit and hopefully put your mind at rest. They can't see the whole mouth like that (I don't think), but hey can get enough of an idea for if there is a problem.

Becca, you know how to get a doe. Exactly the same way as getting a doe, you go to a breeder, explain what you want to do and get him to select one for you. OR get a doe and see if you can pay to use one of the breeders bucks with your girl.

You've made a good start on that list. What comes next?

Before getting a new bun, why not think about spaying and neutering the buns you have so that things are as sorted as they could be and you can really focus on the new buns as opposed to doing things left, right and centre and slipping up and things getting missed and things, which might happen if you just get yourself lost in a new bun and babies.

Ace :D I've just finished an article on speutering before, during and aftercare. If you want it let me know :)

So are you getting them all fixed? Or using some for breeding? :)

Grace
heart.gif

irishbunny wrote:
So are you getting them all fixed? Or using some for breeding? :)

Grace
heart.gif

It depends, if Dippy hasn't got anything wrong with his teeth (though I may ask the vet to give him a good check up to make sure there isn't anything wrong with him) and I might just get the other to fixed. Then I could get anolther lionhead doe and breed Dippy and her. Though I'm not sure.

This morning I was on MSN talking to Michelle (it was midnight where she was and she couldn't sleep) so I brought in Benjamin and turned on the webcam.

She got to watch Benjamin washing, eating and binkying and she suggested I take a picture of Benjamin's mouth because it was so sweet so here it is.

Michelle these are for you :D
SP_A2644.jpg

SP_A2642.jpg

Here are a few pictures of Fluffball:

SP_A2624.jpg

SP_A2627.jpg

Thanks Becca for having Benjamin on the webcam to entertain me :biggrin2:. I managed to sleep for two hours but I think I'll sleep for about 20 hours tonight :p.

Benjamin is even cuter on cam and it's really obvious what a happy rabbit he is and how much he adores Becca and she loves him too, it was lovely to see. And he's got such a fluffy bum and the cutest mouth as I kept saying over and over again :p.

Thanks for the pics of his mouth it's for sure my favourite part of him, bless his gorgeous little face!

Latest posts

Back