Baxter! & Babs: A Dating Tail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony used to love to sit under the fake ficus my roommate in college had in her room. He also loved to run on my other roommate's shag rug. He'd sit outside their bedroom doors and wait for them to open so he could run in there. He even learned how to nose-bump my bedroom door open (it opened inward, so it wasn't an easy task) so he could try to get into their rooms when I wasn't around! I think bunnies just like trees. Bunnies eating houseplants is about the funniest thing to see--Tony and Muffin will eat my dad's bougainvillea if we leave it at munch level.

:biggrin2: Came home, and as far as I can see at this point Baxter! was well behaved during his "free-roam" day! Yay!!!!!! Well other than (DUN-DUN-DUN!!!) HE DID GET INTO THE CAT BOX AND dug to china... :X

I appreciate the fascination by a buns standard, also know its not good for him, but really am at odds as to how to stop him? I do not have the space to put it where only the cats can get to it as Tbone is 21/blind and can barely get into it now; once she has crossed the bridge I can "rig" an area so that the kitten - Bella can jump over something to get to it (or at least be able to get a bigger one with a hood and door).

So I've come to the realization that as I am Baxters! slave, must just vacuum a few times a night.. sigh..

Bax will have to sleep in his pen at night (he likes to get on the bed and dig at my head at 6:00 AM when I've tried letting him out at night - not acceptable - I get up at 8:30'ish - lol)..

Good day - proud of him, he and the kitten seem to have had a fun day together, so Yay!:highfive:

LOL! I know that Stan (PetBunny) has a kids' sandbox for his bunnies that satisfies their urge to dig--maybe having supervised play time in a safe digging place will curb digging where he's not supposed to?

Happy to report, day 2 of "free roam time" has worked out well; So Much So, that when I came home from work - Baxter! hadn't dug in the catbox!!! Yay! He does poo in it :shock:, think its territorial behaviour as I'm guessing he thinks:"the cats use it - so I can too".. Buns are so funny with their "entitlement" and/or sibling rivilaryissues...

Love the idea of getting an appropriate "vessel" for Bax to dig in - thought of dirt and a 5 gallon container from Home Depot (live in an apartment on the third floor - but have 2 very large patios - so could "rig" something up - will think on this) great suggestion Tonyshuman.

Also have begun to realize I'm a "bun watcher" like a "bird watcher"; they have very specific characteristic behaviour that grows and changes based on influences in their world and its SO much fun (or frustrating) to figure it all out.. As tonight noticed Baxhopping off to the bedroom with a different "gait" such as, not rushed, just that he was going to enjoy some toy in the other room and he seemed so much more relaxed...

Happy day..

Day 5 of Free Roam and Day 1 of 24/7 free roam (left Bax out at bedtime).. I woke up about 3:00 AM and there was Bax - sleeping in him pen - he put himself to bed.

I thought with his free roaming 24/7 - he'd lose weight, but I think its making him lazy? :? I think he's gained weight as all he likes to do is lay under the ficus tree; chase the kitten a couple of times (just to get her to leavehim alone) or sit on the couch with me and get nose rubs... Not all that much racing around like he used to do when he was locked up while I was at work.. Will have to work on an exercise routine.

Also curious - how long do most buns require nose rubs?Last night I thought I'd see if Baxter! would finally get tired of it and hop off everntually - he outlasted me I gave up at 45 minutes.. :shock:

Never get into a "noserub - aka - stare down" contest with a bun, their quite the competitors.

juliew19673 wrote:
Never get into a "noserub - aka - stare down" contest with a bun, their quite the competitors.
I don't think I will ever get into a competion with Patrick...

I was petting him last night because he gave me the best circles and hums ever. The moment I stopped petting him, Patrick gave me thesweetest bunny-kisses in the world. So, yes, I will quit first if it means my punishment will be smooches from my handsome little man. ;)

myheart

Thanks AngelSnuffy! Missed you guys!

Baxter! has been the best "Free-Roam" bun! :D He still puts himself to sleep in his pen and eats his "meals" from it. But now he runs into the kitchen and scratches at the refrigerator door when he wants a baby carrot.. Cracks me up and I give him one.

He's so much more relaxed being out 24/7 even with the kitten that "irritates" everyone. He's now figured out he's 2nd In Charge to Tbone (the 21.5 year old cat) but there is a Heirarchy in place at my home.

Just hoping I'm the "Pack Leader" :shock: lol!

Its nice to see my little brood come together. :D

That is too cool that he scratches the frid when he wants a carrot. They are so smart! I agree, we want videos now!!

Video's should becoming soon as ---- Bax! is getting a girlfriend! :pinkelepht:

Her name is "Gumdrop" (think that will need to be changed) and she is one of 42+buns at the shelter I currently volunteer at (Zooh Corner bunny rescue); she had recently been taken to the vet as she was coming down with "Shelter Depression", the vet actually found that she had an inflammed uterus and so that was "fixed". Alex who runs the shelter just couldn't fathom taking poor Gum back to the shelter so asked if I would give her a forever home... What is one to say to that story? So this Sunday after my shift there, Alex is bringing her to me and thenI'm bringing her back home

So hoping Bax and GD become a loving couple. Wish me luck!

OH she is such a sweet little girl!!! I think Baxter! would love a friend, I hope it works out well!

Gumdrop is home with me! Yay! :pinkbouce: Such a good bun, takes all her meds without question (gut meds, pain meds and meds to make her eat). she's a good eater and pooper so think in the next few days all meds will be over (once I wean her off).

She is VERY sweet and hasn't shown the least amount of timidness. She currently is residing in a large Xpen in my living room; has a cottontail condo to hide in and small run. Had to put up nic pen cubes around it as she and Bax when first meeting had a very forceful nose bump moment (to be expected I would think).

Bax is very interested in her - he's just clueless as to what to do? He thought he could impress her by chasing the kitten off when she gets to close to GD's pen and all he got was her backside and foot flicking at him?:shock: He had the most confused look on his face when she did this as he has done it to me and the cats, but never has he had it done to him. Was pretty comical to me.

I think eventually Gumdrop will rule the roost and they will be the biggest BFF's.

Pictures of GD at home to follow - she is just melty cute!

WHAT!
I was just gazing at Bax in your profile and read... Gumdrop :shock:

Who, what where when why how....????
YAY!

NOW... we really neeeeeed video and pics!

Yes if you scroll up in my blog you can see Gums Petfinder photo; her short "bio" is there as well. I'm going to begin bonding them this Thursday at my office (neutral territory); theres an empty office directly across from mine (front wall is all glass so I can see right into it). Yay!

And that's howa herd of bunnies starts... ;)

I am so happy for yourself and Baxter! !! It really does take a lot to make that decision to add another bun. Maybe someday Baxter! will have a harem like my Patrick. :p

Hope bonding goes well and quickly! Keep us all posted on their budding romance...

myheart

Patrick has two girls to take care of. The dynamics of the trio changed when Luna passed away, so Patrick is no longer dominant-bun. So my order of dominance now starts with Zappa, then Callie, and Patrick is now last.

It all depends on who gets to be top-bun, and whether or not the othersmind being submissive.

myheart

OK last night Bax and Bab's (chaged name from Gumdrop) had their first kiss; alot of face licking was to be had through the bars of her Xpen.. Brought them to work with me today and they are currently in the empty office across from mine in 2 Xpens; seemed to have a good day.

Latest posts

Back