Baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's after eating 2 of them. The first one is missing half of its body, and the second one she bit off its leg. I'm so P!SSED OFF I could have saved the second one she had done nothing to it when I noticed the first one. I'm really sad. the other ones are alive but cold what do I do?

Only saw the thread now. Hope the babies are doing ok. I don't think forcefeeding is an issue yet but keep her calm and don't stress her out and hopefully she will follow her instincts. I would expect by tonight they should have ping pong bellies. And make sure you do get that new hutch for Roger today

Were leaving in the next ten minutes to get another hutch. The vet told us to take the babies out and to supplement them with kitten milk. Is that good advice? I'm going to feed them this also going to continue to force suki to feed them. I'm full of bite marks.

I am not sure if that is good advice since there have not even 24 hours passed since she had them. You are better off giving her a chance. Once you start them on the kitten milk there'll be even less incentive for Suki to feed. Hold off with that at least till tonight till some more people have given their opinion. I remember reading from other threads that it is perfectly normal for the mom not to feed them straight away. Don't stress her out by trying to force her at this stage. She is still recovering

I would NOT give her a chance to feed them....she tried to eat her babies for a reason. If you give them back to her, she will continue to eat them. Best chance for them to survive is for you to learn how to have Suki force feed them.

There are a couple ways. First, like aurora said, you can hold her onto the nest and let the babies feed. Don't let her go after them.

Second, you can hold her upside down (need 2 people) and place a baby on her stomach and help the baby find the nipple. Take special care that Suki doesn't kick the baby while struggling. This is why you need 2 people.

Kitten milk is fine but at this age, it isn't recommended as they can aspirate it into their lungs and die very quickly.

Either way, you are also going to have to stimulate them to pee. Do this after they are done eating by putting a warm cotton ball on the lower part of their stomach. Hold it there till they pee.

Sorry she turned on them...it happens. Don't blame her, she is a first time mother and didn't know what to do.

Sharon

Paul, does usually eat their babies if they are stressed out, being in that noisy room is probably stressing her out and it is possible that is why she has started to cannabalize the babies, I would have taken them off her as soon as she started eating them because she will probably start eating the rest, I just hope you find live babies when you get home :(

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
I would NOT give her a chance to feed them....she tried to eat her babies for a reason. If you give them back to her, she will continue to eat them. Best chance for them to survive is for you to learn how to have Suki force feed them.

There are a couple ways. First, like aurora said, you can hold her onto the nest and let the babies feed. Don't let her go after them.

Second, you can hold her upside down (need 2 people) and place a baby on her stomach and help the baby find the nipple. Take special care that Suki doesn't kick the baby while struggling. This is why you need 2 people.

Kitten milk is fine but at this age, it isn't recommended as they can aspirate it into their lungs and die very quickly.

Either way, you are also going to have to stimulate them to pee. Do this after they are done eating by putting a warm cotton ball on the lower part of their stomach. Hold it there till they pee.

Sorry she turned on them...it happens. Don't blame her, she is a first time mother and didn't know what to do.

Sharon
Sorry i take back what i said earlier. I somehow missed the post aboutSuki trying to eat the babies. That changes things of course and I don't really feel competent to give advice

she sounds far to stressed between having a buck in while she was pregnant then having them then not getting peace then you moving her to a different room. I agree with Starlight good chance you are going to have to keep them away from her and just take them to her for a feed. good luck its not an easy task especially with a first time mum

Ya I agree with Polly, I think the best thing to do if the babies are still alive is to take them and keep them in your room, where your dog won't be and where it is somewhat quiet, and take them to the mother to be fed twice a day, if she will let them be fed. Put her over the babies and hold her tightly and hopefully she will allow the babies to feed.

Suki is all good. I bottle fed all four 2 died during the feed, they were the ones my cousin fed. We still have 2 and I have been adviced not to even atempt to try the mother with them again. She is a visous cow.

Paul, it's not her fault, it's just her instincts and if you are going to breed rabbits you can't get mad at the does. If it was me I'd still try and feed them off their mother, if your there she can't hurt them. There is a very high chance these babies won't make it if you hand rear them. I my opinion you should try everything before you give up and you haven't, poor Suki, it's not her fault she was kept with the buck and ina noisy room, itstressed her out.

irishbunny wrote:
Ya I agree with Polly, I think the best thing to do if the babies are still alive is to take them and keep them in your room, where your dog won't be and where it is somewhat quiet, and take them to the mother to be fed twice a day, if she will let them be fed. Put her over the babies and hold her tightly and hopefully she will allow the babies to feed.
This is the best advice yet. When you're there while they feed - you can keep the mama from hurting them. In addition - it teaches the rabbit how to be a mother. I've had vicious mothers turn into excellent ones by doing this.

I get the feeling you're angry at your rabbit right now - but please don't be. Here are a few things to consider..

• A large percentage of the losses breeders have are from first-time mothers who don't know what to do. They don't understand about making a nest (I'm sorry - I haven't read to see if she had a nestbox or hay or anything)...they don't understand about all they need to do. Most lionhead breeders here in the states that I've talked to - will give a doe up to 3 attempts to have a litter successfully before they'll remove her from their herd.
  • From the little bit I skimmed - she went through a LOT of changes in a short time. She was housed with a buck - removed - etc. etc. Does are very dependent upon having their cage as being theirs...its how they know what to protect and defend when they have babies. She's probably all confused because her surroundings have changed. Its not her fault she doesn't understand.
  • Does have an instinct to kill their babies if they think predators will get to them. She doesn't understand that they aren't in danger.
  • Finally - no matter how often we may say things like, "She's thinking this" or "She's acting like that.." the fact is - rabbits act on instinct. We "personalize" them and try to give them what we think they think or what we think they should do. But they don't logic things out and reason through them like we can - they aren't capable of that.
Honestly - I feel so bad for your poor doe. She's been through so much - having her living situation changed - having babies born and she didn't know what to do with them - etc. etc. She really needs our sympathy and support because she is so confused right now.

I'm sorry for your losses - I hope the other two survive. BUT - the best thing for them is for you to take them to her and have her feed them. I've shared several times on this forum what I do - I would search for a post but I'm too busy right now. Basically, I put them in a basket (on a towel) with treats at one end of the basket (near her head). Then I put mama in the basket so she'll eat the treats (it can be hay/oatmeal/greens - whatever is a treat to her) and I calmly pet her and whisper to her while she eats. I have my hand over her back so she has to stay over the babies and I hope that her milk lets down.

I've found that after 2-3 days of doing this a couple of times per day - mama starts to understand what she's supposed to do.

TinysMom wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
This is the best advice yet. When you're there while they feed - you can keep the mama from hurting them. In addition - it teaches the rabbit how to be a mother. I've had vicious mothers turn into excellent ones by doing this.

I get the feeling you're angry at your rabbit right now - but please don't be. Here are a few things to consider..

• A large percentage of the losses breeders have are from first-time mothers who don't know what to do. They don't understand about making a nest (I'm sorry - I haven't read to see if she had a nestbox or hay or anything)...they don't understand about all they need to do. Most lionhead breeders here in the states that I've talked to - will give a doe up to 3 attempts to have a litter successfully before they'll remove her from their herd.
  • From the little bit I skimmed - she went through a LOT of changes in a short time. She was housed with a buck - removed - etc. etc. Does are very dependent upon having their cage as being theirs...its how they know what to protect and defend when they have babies. She's probably all confused because her surroundings have changed. Its not her fault she doesn't understand.
  • Does have an instinct to kill their babies if they think predators will get to them. She doesn't understand that they aren't in danger.
  • Finally - no matter how often we may say things like, "She's thinking this" or "She's acting like that.." the fact is - rabbits act on instinct. We "personalize" them and try to give them what we think they think or what we think they should do. But they don't logic things out and reason through them like we can - they aren't capable of that.
Honestly - I feel so bad for your poor doe. She's been through so much - having her living situation changed - having babies born and she didn't know what to do with them - etc. etc. She really needs our sympathy and support because she is so confused right now.

I'm sorry for your losses - I hope the other two survive. BUT - the best thing for them is for you to take them to her and have her feed them. I've shared several times on this forum what I do - I would search for a post but I'm too busy right now. Basically, I put them in a basket (on a towel) with treats at one end of the basket (near her head). Then I put mama in the basket so she'll eat the treats (it can be hay/oatmeal/greens - whatever is a treat to her) and I calmly pet her and whisper to her while she eats. I have my hand over her back so she has to stay over the babies and I hope that her milk lets down.

I've found that after 2-3 days of doing this a couple of times per day - mama starts to understand what she's supposed to do.
Ok there second feed is at 6.10 that's 42 min away. So I'll bring momma rabbit up to try and get her to feed her babies. And I'll do this once a day till she does.While still bottle feeding them. This is the best I can do. I spent €60 today onsupplies and I still have to get the hutch tomarrow. The pet shop I went to only had hutches for €300I can't afford that. So what I'm doing is putting sukura into a box who is very calm. And stayed in the box all night last night. So I think it will work out. I'll defo be getting another hutch tomarrow.

irishbunny wrote:
It can take a while for her to feed them, and since they are hardly even an hour old, I wouldn't be worried about her feeding them yet. She is a first time mother and could be a little nervous, so that is why I recommend you get your scent on your hands, plus you said you don't have a very good bond with her,
I just wanted to add something to this post.

Many of my does - especially my experienced mamas - will nurse their babies immediately after birth. Not all of them do this - but some do.

I'm putting this in this thread as a reference in case anyone searches about nursing and pulls up this thread in the future.

A doe might nurse immediately (Miss Bea always did) or she might wait up to 12 hours or so......it depends upon the doe and their experience and when their milk comes in.

Paul you live in Limerick! You have some great chain store shops, the best being Maxi Zoo, it's where I got Princess's cage for 50 euro, why do they have to be hutches? Princess's cage is huge and for 100 euro you could have two of them, and you need two Paul, for those kits, whether they survive or not it's still needed for future kits.

I wish Princess's milk wasn't dried up, I'd offer to take the babies for you until they are eight weeks old because right now I don't think they have much chance :(

irishbunny wrote:
Paul you live in Limerick! You have some great chain store shops, the best being Maxi Zoo, it's where I got Princess's cage for 50 euro, why do they have to be hutches? Princess's cage is huge and for 100 euro you could have two of them, and you need two Paul, for those kits, whether they survive or not it's still needed for future kits.

I wish Princess's milk wasn't dried up, I'd offer to take the babies for you until they are eight weeks old because right now I don't think they have much chance :(
We went to mazi zoo they were all in the €300 zone. And I want hutches because I'm putting them out once it warms up all year round from then on. I'm going to go to paws and claws my fav pet shop.

Ok, try PetMania aswell, there's two in Limerick. Since you have money now you might as well get a cage for the kits, since once their eyes open their going to start wanting to explore. Even if it's just a cheap cage for 40 or 50 it's better then nothing.

irishbunny wrote:
Ok, try PetMania aswell, there's two in Limerick. Since you have money now you might as well get a cage for the kits, since once their eyes open their going to start wanting to explore. Even if it's just a cheap cage for 40 or 50 it's better then nothing.
Was in both of them. The cheapest hutch they had was €103 and it was tiny. I'm going to get a good quality one from paws and claws for €40-€65.

Ok, try and get two Paul, it will seriously make it much easier for you and the babies and you'll use it again.

Latest posts

Back