Baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly at this critical stage I would get any cage/hutch at any price. i also agree that teaching the doe to feed is preferable to handrearing them.
P.S. Did you try to force her to feed them before she started cannibalizing them?

Okay well I don't have any adivce lol but I'm wondering was this a surprise litter or planned??

Well he had the mature male and female in the same cage so I suppose it was planned.

You definitely need to get a second cage/hutch.

I agree that mom was so stressed out from having the buck in the cage while giving birth, all the noise and moving around, that she felt threatened and attacked the babies through instinct.

If you can get mom to feed the babies safely, with either of the two methods explained to you, I would only have mom feeding the babies. Feeding by hand is very dangerous, as you have experienced by losing two babies already. Mom's milk will give you the best probability of the babies surviving.

You need to keep mom in a nice quite place where she can de-stress.

These types of experiences are very common when breeding. You need to be prepared to deal with them. They suck, but the only thing you can do is try to work through them so the babies have the best chance of survival.

--Dawn

irishbunny wrote:
Ok, try and get two Paul, it will seriously make it much easier for you and the babies and you'll use it again.
Bare with me I'll get one tomarrow and Then when the kits are older I'll get another. Does this make you happy?:p Also on your past post I also wish princess was still pruducing milk so she could care for them.

Sabine wrote:
Frankly at this critical stage I would get any cage/hutch at any price. i also agree that teaching the doe to feed is preferable to handrearing them.
P.S. Did you try to force her to feed them before she started cannibalizing them?
I only went near them to put them in the nest and that was like 4hours before she ate any of them. And she seemed grand with me touching them. I tried them up against her nipple once and she wasn't having it she wouldn't sit still and she killed another baby. that brought us to 3 because when she was trying to get away she bit onto it I pulled her away and thought it would be ok but obv not. then I went again to try and she broke skin and I was bleeding( I had three pairs of gloves on think working gloves and she got through) She wants nothing to do with the babies. So I will have to hand hear them. I think I'm going to section suki off and if she doesn't improve on behaviour I'm going to sell her. She has always been a nasty B!TCH. Sukura will make a wonderful mother, she is so friendly.

Becca wrote:
Okay well I don't have any adivce lol but I'm wondering was this a surprise litter or planned??
Honestly it was a surprize, I know I did have a male in with her, but I didn't think he had bred with her. And in the nick of time I got in and saved the kits from roger. Little did I know the mother was a complete cow.

aurora369 wrote:
You definitely need to get a second cage/hutch.

I agree that mom was so stressed out from having the buck in the cage while giving birth, all the noise and moving around, that she felt threatened and attacked the babies through instinct.

If you can get mom to feed the babies safely, with either of the two methods explained to you, I would only have mom feeding the babies. Feeding by hand is very dangerous, as you have experienced by losing two babies already. Mom's milk will give you the best probability of the babies surviving.

You need to keep mom in a nice quite place where she can de-stress.

These types of experiences are very common when breeding. You need to be prepared to deal with them. They suck, but the only thing you can do is try to work through them so the babies have the best chance of survival.

--Dawn
Every one is very confused she wasn't moved once since I have gotten her. And that room was empty all day apart from when I was checking on the kits. She has had a very unstressful day today. I can assure that.

paul2641 wrote:
Becca wrote:
Honestly it was a surprize, I know I did have a male in with her, but I didn't think he had bred with her. And in the nick of time I got in and saved the kits from roger. Little did I know the mother was a complete cow.

First of all calling your rabbit a B*tch is worse than calling a human one becuase rabbits can't help it and if thats what you think about rabbits then you shouldn';t have them :X Sorry and why did you keep a male in with a female??

I think I'm going to section suki off and if she doesn't improve on behaviour I'm going to sell her. She has always been a nasty B!TCH. Sukura will make a wonderful mother, she is so friendly.
Paul, I can't believe you think that way, she has done nothing wrong! She is a first time mother and you left her in a noisy place and with the buck. You can't be sure Suki will be a good mother either, she could also act on instinct too. People have already told you this and your still angry at poor Suki, you had 300 euro and wouldn't
spend it on a hutch for her before this happened, you knew Suki could be expecting kits and didn't plan ahead. To be honest, what I'm seeing now is telling me rabbits are not the animal for you, you don't really seem to care about them, just trying to get them to have kits, you know there is no money to be made in this right?

If you can't deal with it I will personally come and pick up Suki, I'll buy her from you because right now I feel very sorry for her.

Becca wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
Becca wrote:

First of all calling your rabbit a B*tch is worse than calling a human one becuase rabbits can't help it and if thats what you think about rabbits then you shouldn';t have them :X Sorry and why did you keep a male in with a female??
I agree, thats terrible of you to say that....

She just does not want to be bothered, id leave her alone , and let her do her own thing....

Maybe you should rehome her....with someone who has patience.

Rabbits are not for everyone.

Jessica

irishbunny wrote:
I think I'm going to section suki off and if she doesn't improve on behaviour I'm going to sell her. She has always been a nasty B!TCH. Sukura will make a wonderful mother, she is so friendly.
Paul, I can't believe you think that way, she has done nothing wrong! She is a first time mother and you left her in a noisy place and with the buck. You can't be sure Suki will be a good mother either, she could also act on instinct too. People have already told you this and your still angry at poor Suki, you had 300 euro and wouldn't
spend it on a hutch for her before this happened, you knew Suki could be expecting kits and didn't plan ahead. To be honest, what I'm seeing now is telling me rabbits are not the animal for you, you don't really seem to care about them, just trying to get them to have kits, you know there is no money to be made in this right?

If you can't deal with it I will personally come and pick up Suki, I'll buy her from you because right now I feel very sorry for her.
No the thing is she is very moody all the time. And I did overreact, I'm just sectioning her off. And only putting in food and water for the next week. If I only cared to make money then why would I have already spent €40 and my mother €90 and I'm still going to get a hutch tomarrow.We all call her the B!tch I'm sorry but that's just the way me and my friends function. She had some bloody poo hanging off her I got myself all cut up bitten to get it off so I do care I'm just really annoyed. That she ditched them. And that she killed 2 of them. it's just a little bit hard for me to take in she killed her own children. :shock:. I know it's instinctive. And the only reason I said I would sell her because my aunty kept saying "you will have to get ride of her". But people I can't really care for everyones feelings when I have just gotten 2 hours sleep in the last 2 days. AndI saw 2 babies eaten before me. It just really upsets me.

Sabine wrote:
How much are you selling Suki for?
I'm not it was an over-reaction my sister is really at me to get rid of her. But I don't know I'm all confused. And well I can't wait for a whole month of sleepless nights.WOOOOO

Sabine wrote:
I'll foster her. She seems to be arabbit in need of some TLC
It's not happening I still care for her even though I hate her. I will talk my family through it to tell them It is just her instincts.

I'm sorry Paul, but I still don't think your a rabbit person, I agree with Sabine, she has been through an awful lot since you took her, she needs some love and attention, then she wouldn't be such a ''bitch'', and both me and Sabine are offering to take her and do that. I think eventually you will realise rabbits aren't the right pet for you.

paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
It's not happening I still care for her even though I hate her. I will talk my family through it to tell them It is just her instincts.

So you hate her but you want to keep her in a place where she doesn't get the right love?

irishbunny wrote:
I'm sorry Paul, but I still don't think your a rabbit person, I agree with Sabine, she has been through an awful lot since you took her, she needs some love and attention, then she wouldn't be such a 'bitch', and both me and Sabine are offering to take her and do that. I think eventually you will realise rabbits aren't the right pet for you.
Well I have nothing against roger and sukura. It's just suki never seems to bond with me.

paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
Im sorry but HATE is a really strong word..if you indeed hate her, you need to find her a better home, two people on here already offered to take her from you!

I dont think you can care for something yet hate it....

Back