Baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
OMG people I am so lucky I checked on my my rabbits before I went to bed. Suki gave and still is giving birth to kits. They all seem to be healthy what should I do? there all wiggling.

This will probably be moved to the rabbitry but anyway. Is she in the cage with Roger is my first question?

irishbunny wrote:
This will probably be moved to the rabbitry but anyway. Is she in the cage with Roger is my first question?
I noticed she was on edge and before she went into labour I took roger out. roger is in sukuras cage. and sukura is in a box. I'm getting another hutch tomarrow.

Ok, well right now you just have to leave her alone, if your still up, check on her in about an hour, see if she and the babies are ok. Then in the morning you can see if they are all alive and take out any dead kits. Did she make a nest?

irishbunny wrote:
Ok, well right now you just have to leave her alone, if your still up, check on her in about an hour, see if she and the babies are ok. Then in the morning you can see if they are all alive and take out any dead kits. Did she make a nest?
She hasn't made a nest and all the babies are all over the place, she isn't at them she is just eating. Should I do something. I touched them all to see there temp there all kinda cold. But I have a gas fire on and the heating. What should I do??

Are they all alive? Do you think she is finished giving birth. I suppose you have hay right? Get a bundle of hay and put it in the corner, with your fist, sort of flatten the hay down in the middle, sort of like a birds nest and put them in and cover them over a little bit and check them in the morning, don't disturb her or them too much. In the morning see if they are alright and after 24 hours if they don't have nice, round bellies, just think wrinkly ones then she probably isn't feeding them, but we can deal with that again if it happens.

irishbunny wrote:
Are they all alive? Do you think she is finished giving birth. I suppose you have hay right? Get a bundle of hay and put it in the corner, with your fist, sort of flatten the hay down in the middle, sort of like a birds nest and put them in and cover them over a little bit and check them in the morning, don't disturb her or them too much. In the morning see if they are alright and after 24 hours if they don't have nice, round bellies, just think wrinkly ones then she probably isn't feeding them, but we can deal with that again if it happens.
There all separated but they all have bedding over them. Should I still move them?

Ya, move them all together in a corner and make a proper nest, if you can rub your hands on your doe so her scent stays on them when you handle them, this happens to alot of first time mothers, it just happened a few weeks ago at my friends

There all together she is now making a nest. I'm going to go to bed and get back up at 7 to check on them. Hopefully they will survive and all have ping-pong bellies.

Good idea, I was heading to bed then I saw this lol, don't get worried if by seven they don't have ping-pong bellies, it might take a while for her to feed them. Nighty night!

Pull some of her fur off and use that too make a nest. Pulling the fur on the rump or belly will not hurt the doe because it will come off easy...that is where she should have plucked it from. Make sure they have big round bellies....look like they have been fed. If they don't, you need to force her to feed them.

Remember that mother rabbits do not stay with the babies. They only go in the nest to feed them.

Also, don't worry too much about getting her scent on your hands first. You don't have any other litters so it isn't a big deal. If she trusts you, then she will trust you with her babies. Give her a treat when you go in to check on them.

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
Could be hurt but most likely is just hungry....does it have a big belly?
There only about an hour and a half old. So I don't know. I moved them into the nest so I might of hurt one of them:?. I am really excited and really nurvous. She is just laying beside it, is this a good sign.

It can take a while for her to feed them, and since they are hardly even an hour old, I wouldn't be worried about her feeding them yet. She is a first time mother and could be a little nervous, so that is why I recommend you get your scent on your hands, plus you said you don't have a very good bond with her,

Back