Ash's adventures!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all yesterday I went over my friends house we stayed for pretty long especially since one of my friends had to get a cast on his arm so I went with him and his brother and 2 sisters in the car while he got his cast. He broke his wrist. The doctors said that he could take it off in 4 weeks. So when we all got back to his house I stayed until like 9:20 and than left. I always like going over their house. So many fun things to do. They have goats and cows and its pretty cool! They had 3 dogs but one of my friends told me that one of them died a few weeks ago. :( There are still 2 dogs left though. I asked how old one of the dogs were and my friends told me that she was 14! I was impressed! I've seen other 14 year old dogs and they are so slow and depressed looking. This dog is up and about barking a lot and running around. She's quite the character. She could easily be mistaken for a 2 year old dog.

Ash has been chewing so many things lately! I can't believe it I can see chewed up books left and right. I don't know why he can't just chew his toys instead. Funny how they always chew the stuff you don't want them too but they don't chew the stuff they really should chew. If I hold up a piece of wood that's made for him to chew he just sniffs if and chins it but oh boy when he sees a book to chew he'll go right to town chewing it all up. I can see him right now in his pen laying down. Most likely with thoughts of chewing books in his head. :p I'd love to have a HUGE bunny proof room made of metal just to put him in so he can't chew anything. And where he can play all day.

Well in other news me and my parents are friends with a man and her husband. Her husband is around 70 and she's around 50. She goes for horse riding lessons and she wants me to get lessons as well. I do really like horses and I'd love to get horse riding lessons but unfortunately we just don't have the money now. She did suggest paying for it herself as they do have a lot of money. I kind of feel weird accepting but she keeps insisting. I think it would be a whole lot of fun to do it though. I'd like to get a real horse sometime. I've always wanted one ever since I was really young.

Oh and if you guys are wondering, at the bottom of my post is a manually put in signature. I asked the mods and they said its fine if I manually put a signature in my posts. :)

Do you have a white pages phone book? One from a previous year? If so, you can give that to ash and he can go to town on destroying that. Otherwise, you can get some really cheap paperbacks from second hand book stores for around 50c or $1 sometimes, so maybe you could get some books for him that he is allowed to destroy.

I've always thought that learning to horse ride would be fun, it can be expensive and while i certainly understand why it would feel a little weird to accept them paying for it, if it's something you really want to do and they're persistent, I wouldn't knock the opportunity back :)

I took horseback riding lessons from the age of 6 until 12 then rode on my own after that. Even taught a few people in my day. I learned how to jump and do all the English stuff. Then after the age of like 16 I grew out of English and started riding Western and helped herd some cows. haha.
Horses are one of my favorite animals and I would really love to have one. Maybe when I grow up. :)
They're really special animals. They're so smart and they're all so different from each other. I really did love riding, but haven't ridden since I was like 20. Funny story actually. The second to last time I rode, I was with my dads friend and two other ladies. We went on a ten mile ride, which is a long ride. So we get to this river and we're taking the horses down the boat ramp to drink some water, they were a little afraid of the water so I bent down and put some in my hands to give to my horse. I was squatting down, she nudged me so hard that I ALMOST fell into the water. haha. I fell forward up to my elbows but didn't get my legs wet. I started laughing so hard that I couldn't get up without falling in, so one of the girls I was with hand to like push me back right! hhaha. Then we ate beanie-weinies out of the can with peanut butter crackers. Thats actually a pretty good combo. LOL
I think if you're offered the chance to learn how to ride horses, you should totally take it. They're amazing. But your butt will be SORE. You have to ride the sore out! haha. Thats what we always did.

I agree with a phone book for Ash. We get like 5 a year for whatever reason and I don't know how to throw them away properly. So I sort of store them places. I need to start giving them to Ellie.

Phone books are great, mine have got through a couple since I´ve had them and the best thing is they are free lol. I do know what you mean though, we spend a fortune buying cute bunny stuff for them to keep them occupied and they´d rather eat the floor haha. I am sure that they just do it to annoy us hoomans who after all are their personal slaves.

I used to ride about 15 years ago as I had a friend who had a horse and I used to go with her. I loved it and when I moved to where I am now, I met a bloke who also had horses and used to ride with him. He sold the horses so haven´t ridden for 3 or 4 years but would love to again. There´s just something so liberating about running through open fields on the back of a horse.

Give Ash some cheap books or phone books if he likes chewing them that much. I have given Thumper just about everything ever recommended as safe for a bun to chew and yep he still chews stuff he shouldn't.

If the lady is a good friend of ya'lls, can afford it and is insistent then by all means take her up on the offer. Don't miss this opportunity to learn something new and to have fun. We work with a couple of young guys who race who's racing is paid for by an uncle or a family friend. In both cases the person is more than happy to pay so that the guys can race. They enjoy being a part of the racing as well as the time spent together. My hubby also helps out the young guys as well and I can see how much he enjoys being a part of their learning. This lady may feel the same way and I am sure being friends she would enjoy having you there at the lessons as well. After all, fun things are even more fun with someone you like that you can share it with.

Wow, haven't been on in quite a while. A lot has been happening.

Well first of all one of my watermelon plants finally has a watermelon on it. Its like really small. You know when you look at a dried up flower and you can see a little striped ball in the stem? Well that's what I see. I'm pretty sure its a watermelon as I remember those always grew in to watermelons with my other watermelon plants I've been growing before.

Lately its been kind of cold. Weird I know right? Like during the day its hot but at night it gets down to 40. It used to be like 60 at night before. I can't believe Summer is almost over. Seemed to past so quickly! I don't really mind though as I can't wait for Fall. Biking, Hiking, and crocheting season. I say crocheting because a book will be coming out on October 1st that has instructions on how to design and crochet any person you know. I can't wait for that book to come out.

Ash has been a little gassy lately. I've been letting him out a whole lot more than usual. I heard letting them run around helps get the gas moving. He's been getting a lot better. I'm still keeping him of pellets for a little even though he's so desperate to get them. His cardboard box was near the table with the pellets on it and he tipped the pellet bowl over with his paws. I gave him a little bit of pellets today since he's getting better. I'm glad he's getting better.

I've pretty much been lacking being on here because I was so worried about Ash but now that he's better I'll be back on here more. I do have some pictures I'll upload soon. Right now Ash is laying in front of his fan right now. I think he really likes that fan.

Don't really have any old phone books on hand but I'm sure I can get some. We have TONS of newspapers though so I can give him some of them.

I really would like to learn horse back riding. Its seems like such a fun thing to do. I've always wanted my own horse. They are one of my favorite animals.

So I haven't been on here much. I don't really feel very motivated to come on any more much. I don't know why. I'll try to come on more often though. I'll make a real update soon just wanted to say that it turns out we didn't clip Ash's nails because we don't really have any flour on hand.

I will catch up on everyone's blogs either today or tomorrow. :)

So I'll clip Ash's nails tomorrow. We have the flour now but I don't feel up to it today. I think I'm catching a cold because I'm starting to feel sick, not fun. I don't like colds at all. Especially because when I get a cold my ears get plugged up which is really bad feeling.

I'm going to crochet a Medusa with snakes and all that will be life sized for the next art contest. It'll be next near but the Medusa will take quite some time to make. I always thought Medusa looked so creepy, lol. I think she would look good crocheted.

Ash seems to be a little sick. Like gassy. He was a little gassy a few weeks ago and now he's got it again. He's off pellets for a little while. I'm just trying to get him to eat as much hay as possible and drink lots of water. I think he'll be fine though. He seems to be getting better. :)

My watermelon plants finally have started flowering. One of them actually has a few tiny melons on it. Very tiny but maybe they'll have a chance of getting big. We don't have much time left before the frost, maybe a month. But hopefully it'll make some melons.

That's about it. I haven't been on RO much because my internet hasn't been working well lately. Its working better now so hopefully I'll be on more. :)

I hope you get watermelons before the frost too! It doesn't frost here until like November.

Does Ash have clear nails? It shouldn't be too hard to clip them if they're clear. Ellie has clear nails and I can see the quick and where to nip them. I just use regular people toenail clippers, they work well.

Did you get any simethicone? That might help with Ash being gassy. Maybe you could give him some belly rubs too.

It frosts in usually November as well but its been really cold this Summer and people are predicting that its going to be a cold, bad winter, lol.

No, unfortunately his nails are black. I'm sure it is pretty easy to see the quick with the clear nails but Ash doesn't have clear nails. I heard of shining a flashlight behind them to see the quick though. Is Ellie squirmy when you clip her nails? Do you have to put her in a bunny burrito? Ash is pretty squirmy and I can't see him liking getting his nails clipped, lol.

Yes, I got some. I didn't give him any yet because I just noticed him being gassy yesterday but I'll probably give him some today. He doesn't seem to bad though so hopefully its just a minor thing.

Sorry to hear your not feeling well, hope you're feeling a bit better soon. I certainly know how it feels :p

Best of luck clipping Ash's nails, even if you only get a couple done it's still a good experience to do. I found that it helped to draw up a chart of Bandit's front and back paws with all the nails on it, and then after I clipped a nail I would cross it out on the chart. That way, since I was only doing a couple of nails at a time, I wouldn't get confused as to which nails I had and hadn't clipped.

I forgot to mention, I don't know if you saw the video, I'll try to find it. But there is a good method to cutting nails that they explain. Basically, you put the clippers on the nail, gently squeeze twice. If there is a reaction you've reached the quick and there will be a mark on the nail for you to cut below. If you don't get a reaction then you're probably not in the quick and it should be safe to cut.
So you go *squeeze, squeeze, clip*. I did it with Ellie and she did a really good job with them. Even though her nails are clear, I still wanted to make sure that she wasn't hurting, so I did the *squeeze squeeze clip method*, she did react once and I think it was a little too close to the quick. She wasn't very squirmy though. I put her on the washing machine, covered her in a towel. Like, covered her whole head and just pulled one foot out at a time and did it like that. That way she wasn't being held, she was on something cushy and the darkness kind of paralyzed her.

I hope you get his nails cut! Its a little nerve wracking to do. How is he feeling, gas wise?

Hope Ash is doing fine.

I´m sure you´ll do fine clipping his nails if they´re clear. My boys are really good now as they know I´m doing their nails as soon as I do the first one and they usually stay quite still.

HOpe your watermelons do grow, would be great to, at least, have a few.

Hi Elise!! Wow I can't believe your blog is at 65 pages already! It feels like you've barely posted but I guess I've missed a bit!

I know what it's like with clipping black nails! Phoenix has these dark nails and it's so hard because I really don't want to clip too far, so far so good though. I've kinda forgotten to clip her nails I feel horrible! Now one thing I know I NEED to do is to clean her scent glands, last time I checked they were all blocked up. She just hates sitting still though!

Too bad to hear you're feeling sick, I hope that was a while ago and you're better now!!

Thank you all! I've been watching a few video's and I think I know how to clip the dark nails now. I was looking at Ash's nails the other day and I think I could see the quick. I'm going to try clipping today. (I know, I know! I keep forgetting to clip them, or maybe its just that I'm trying to put it off)

Morgan, thanks for that advice. I haven't seen the video and that is a really good tip. I'll try it on Ash. And yes, thankfully he's doing better now. :)

Bec, good idea!! I haven't even thought of doing that. I'll definitely keep my own chart.

Chris, thanks. There are some small watermelons on my plans already. I already saw a 1 inch watermelon!! I'm hoping I do get a few but if not there's always next year.

Michelle, good to see you on again!! I'm happy you, Phoenix, and Hippo are doing good! :) I never had to clean any scent glands. Maybe he cleans them himself. He doesn't smell bad at all. Yes, my blog has gotten a lot longer, lol. Before I didn't update as much. I'm trying to now though. And thanks, I am feeling a lot better now! :)

Wow...I've slacked off a bit! Internet isn't working well so that's partially to blame. ;) I'm going to try to update more often now.

I hate cleaning scent glands and heck do they smell. I clean all the boys every so often just to keep them nice and clean. Probably time again for me to clip their nails, where is the time going to. Have to groom Bandy as well, have hated doing it the last few times cos with the heat and the sweat, I end up with more hair than he has lol and I hate it when it goes in my eyes and mouth.

lol Chris! Ash hasn't ever really smelled that bad so I haven't ever cleaned his scent glands. I hope its not a priority to clean them cos I haven't been, lol. I haven't had to groom Ash because he has such short fur. I was surprised how much fur he was shedding during shedding season for him. He has short fur but so much was coming off of him. I can only imagine how much fur comes off of Bandy! The furry fluffball! It must be a pain when he sheds.

Its not that sunny out today. Its been getting cooler and cooler out. Summer's coming to an end here. We only have a good 1-2 months before the frost. I'm starting to lose hope in any of my watermelons growing. I'll keep on watering them and see if they get to a decent size but I don't have much hope for them any more. We don't have a very long growing season here. Maybe next year I should start my plants in a cold frame during frost months.

Ash was going through some episodes of gas but he's doing better now. I really have to post some picture updates! He must be hot under all the fur because whenever I let him out to run around the house he mostly rests on the cool tiles. Winter I'll be mostly inside all day. I'll be on RO much more. I'm sure Ash will be a lot more active as well since it'll be cooler inside.

Despite the weather getting cooler its not been getting that much cooler. Its still hot right now but I remember mid July the heat was really bad! Now I'm looking outside and the sun has come out a little. Its raining a bit so we may have a rainbow afterwards.

I'm going to go off to catch up on all of the other threads of this forum now. I'll update tomorrow! :)

It might be worth checking them just to make sure.

It´s a shame about the watermelons, I do hope one grows big enough for you to try.

It´s too hot here right now and trying to keep the boys cool is hard work. They´re OK tonight as we´re inside with the aircon on so they´ve been livelier. I do like letting them out though now on the balcony but the washing comes first today and I don´t want them eating it.

It´s funny having such a short summer, it´ll probably be really hot until mid September and then still quite warm through October.

Would love to see more pics of Ash, it´s been a while since you´ve posted any.

Latest posts

Back