Anyone else's bunny do this? *face palm*

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Gelly, Oct 4, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2019 #1

Gelly

Gelly

Gelly

My rabbit loves peeing on his hay. I thought this hay rack would solve the problem but alas. It's wasting a lot of hay and I just don't get why he does this. His litter bedding is a layer of soft wood stove pellets and a layer of shredded paper bedding. I'm pretty sure he likes his bedding but he tends to find a way to pee and poop in his hay whenever he can. He's not neutered yet since he's a little young but have him booked in the next month.

Attached Files:

2. Oct 4, 2019 #2

Fluffybunz

Fluffybunz

Fluffybunz

My Bunilla does this too I use to have half her cage covered in hay for eating until I found out she uses it as litter too. I've been putting a small layer of hay in her liter bin on top of the liter so she'll go there and by slowly decreasing the amount of hay she'll just use the litter. She sticks to a corner mostly so I moved the rest of her hay pile in the middle of her cage

Jacaroe likes this.
  3. Oct 4, 2019 #3

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Loony bunny guy Supporting Member

Oh yes, I covered some of their hay/grass racks with a slanted wooden board, secured to the fence with 2 zip ties.

Some really like to sit on what they eat.

Imbrium likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2019 #4

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Loony bunny guy Supporting Member

There seems to be something really comfy about hay racks:

Attached Files:

5. Oct 4, 2019 #5

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

They seem to understand that we don't want them in their hay racks but whether they actually care about what we want is a completley different question.

That being said, I tried around 10 different hay rack designs and Bugs would sit in every single one of them. I tried cardboard, plastic, paper bags, boxes with and without a top, metal desk organizers, racks that sat in the litter box, some that hung above, etc. I eventually gave up and now hay goes directly in the litter box. My mini rex thinks it's fun to push all of the hay out of the litter box so I may try a hay rack with her. My lop refuses to eat hay when he can't sit on it.

Gelly likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2019 #6

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Normally, I would say buy it by the bale. But seeing you live in New York, I know space can be an issue, also the availability of fresh hay. I think Chewy has a compressed bale of hay. Its a bit pricey but its cheaper than buying the small bags for $5. This way you won't have to worry about wasting hay.

Gelly likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2019 #7

Gelly

Gelly

Gelly

Oh how cute!!

8. Oct 4, 2019 #8

Gelly

Gelly

Gelly

Oh gosh, if you check back to my previous posts, I've tried the bale and it was a disaster. Tons of foreign plants and did not smell like the stuff I'd been using thus far. And like you said, space is a major issue. My small porch is already packed with containers of litter pellets, hay, bedding, etc. etc.

9. Oct 5, 2019 #9

JenGibs

JenGibs

JenGibs

Mine sit in theirs too. I think it’s just something we must accept and accommodate the best we can. I also keep a layer of hay in their litter box, above the wood pellets, and they still sit in the hay box NEXT to their litter box. I guess it’s just a “thing”.
    I do have a separate hay box away from their litter box stuff and they don’t get in that one. They eat from it and make a mess pulling it around but they don’t pee in that one. Hmmmmmmm...... third box the charm?

Jacaroe likes this.
  10. Oct 12, 2019 at 4:01 AM #10

neophytical

neophytical

neophytical

I use half of the litter box as a hay feeder and the other half is paper litter. My bun only goes in one corner of the box (the one that lines up with the corner of the room) and it took me a while to figure out to put the hay... not in that corner (facepalm). I finally noticed because he'd dig to move all the hay out of that area and kind of rearrange the box so it would work for him. Bunny: 1, Human: 0

JenGibs likes this.
  11. Oct 12, 2019 at 2:15 PM #11

Alliefan

Alliefan

Alliefan

I just started using the wood pellets. I'm on my second bag and these pellets are larger than the one I used before so she has just started spreading her hay over the top and peeing on it. I think she wants a soft layer over the top. Before I felt I was wasting $$ on pellets. Now I'm saving on pellets and wasting $$ on hay. Lol

12. Oct 13, 2019 at 9:59 PM #12

Kimmie

Kimmie

Kimmie

I started using pellets also. I put a thin layer of hay over the top so it “sifts” everything to below. Works great.

13. Oct 15, 2019 at 9:20 AM #13

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

There's some chance your rabbit sits in it because it's easier to get hay out that way, since the bars are somewhat close together. I used a dremel to cut bigger gaps (and sand down any remaining burrs) in something similar to make my mangers. The rabbits appreciate being to stick their whole head inside and really dig around for that "perfect" piece of hay, lol.

manger3.gif

That said, it's no guarantee - we have four rabbits who use the mangers as they were meant to be used... but our beloved Layne (RIP) was the oddball who would wedge his big behind inside the manger to eat! Not all the time, but periodically. I swear hubby and I both saw him pretty much do a freaking back-flip into it once or twice! He didn't do it often enough to warrant bothering to make a cover for the manger, so we just let him do it and laughed at how silly he was :p.

14. Oct 15, 2019 at 2:18 PM #14

Anna R.

Anna R.

Anna R.

Supporting Member

Oh Yes. My little Alice LOVES to sit on the manger. So, I started filling it less and then putting the cover down. Now she sits on the cover and eats out of the side. They are so silly sometimes, and so intent on doing what they want. If I try to move something so they stop doing a certain thing they will invent a way to get at it so they can keep doing it. Very smart and crafty; but, so cute and adorable. I just have to laugh at their creativity sometimes. They want what they want that is for sure. I've learned to just let them be rabbits and as long as they are not harming themselves I just let them be, and enjoy the silliness. MANGER.JPG