Anderson Family Zoo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crazy thing I can't understand is that they picked eachother! They were all snuggly at the shelter. I tried her with 4 guys and she was not as fond of them. I'm going to see how the scratches are on Cinderella and figure things out from there. I'm leaning towards shaking them in a laundry basket.

I FINALLY have a few pictures to share. During the last set of snow storms I went out to the kitchen to get a drink late one night. The motion detector had turned the light on. There were three deer on the back patio eating the bird food. We managed to get a couple pictures, but they are dark.

14135_201821_170000003.jpg

My amaryllis is blooming that I got for Christmas.

14135_201821_170000004.jpg

And Cinderella, her debut photos in the blog:

14135_201821_170000002.jpg

14135_201821_170000001.jpg

14135_201821_170000000.jpg

She is a bit round, but that just makes her fit into the family better :big wink:

Joshua is very concerned that if the rabbits end up in another fight Cinderella may get seriously hurt since she already has scratches and missing fur on her belly. I have to say I am inclined to agree. Is there any reason I shouldn't give her a week to heal before trying bonding again? I'm just so afraid of them hurting each other. I'm putting antibiotic ointment on the scratches.

On a happier note, we got two apple boxes from the grocery store today. They have a nice dip on the one side. They are the perfect size to put two flakes of hay. Now each girl has a nice hay box that they can dig around in without making a mess. I took some pictures of Becky and Andre exploring the box. :biggrin:

Now if I can just get them sent. I'm looking for a cord that will let me transfer the pictures via usb connection so I can do it myself. :rollseyes

Copied my post from the general forum:

I brought Becky home from the shelter Dec 18, which isn't so long ago. A couple times a week we watch tv together. I scrunch down in the chair so she can sit comfortably on my chest and I stroke her while she sits there. Frequently she rewards me with kisses. Last night we were snuggled up. She started to bite my shirt and scrunch it around. She arranged my shirt to make a little nest and went to sleep! It was so cute, she just shut her eyes and dozed off. If I scratched behind her ears she would tooth purr but not open her eyes. She snoozed for about 30 minutes and then went back to kisses. She is the best little rabbit ever, I can't believe someone would give up such a love bug.

I love your blog! Reading about your family makes me so happy :) I want a big, happy zoo family as well. And Becky and Cindi are both so cute. I hope the bonding starts getting better.

Becky is such a sweet girl :biggrin2:Joshua is right though. Rabbits can seriously fight and badly injure each other. When the fight between Maybelle and Smores broke out, there were chunks of fur with a bit of skin still attached. :(That was terrible. Luckily, the wounds healed easily but from that day on, they would try to have a go at each other, despite cages or fences being in between. :expressionless

I think, in the home,I would kinda give them a bit of time and encourage them to be beside each other by feeding them fresh veggies right against the fence but not letting them out together just yet. Maybe you'll find them lounging against the fence one day. Who knows... :)

As for working on the bonding, I would take them completely out of their comfort zone like you mentionned before. Car ride, bathtub, etc. Maybe Joshua could help you out?

I like your pictures but they are really small. How are you uploading them? Do you use photobucket?

Nela, you will be happy to know that I got a new camera! I'm so excited, but the battery has to charge before I can get started. As of now I have been uploading directly to RO and then inserting the pictures. I'm going to try photo bucket because the pictures come out better and larger. The camera has some really cool instant uploading features so I will be able to post pictures much easier.

The bonding is going better. I take the blanket off the fence in the evenings when they get their greens. The last few nights have been very uneventfull. So, today I left the blanket off all day. They scratched at the fence a couple times in brief bursts (less than 10 seconds each) so I am not going to cover it. Now they are more used to the idea and scent of each other so now they can start seeing each other all the time :) Little steps to victory.

I am also thrilled to report that Elvis will not need to have his eye removed. He is responding well the the antibiotic eye drops. The vet thinks the infection should be cleared in about 3 weeks. As long as Rebecca is favorable when they meet I can bring him home! :)

I have no idea how we will end up bonding the three of them. One step at a time..... we will let the buns take the lead....

Today is going to be a dull day. Joshua has to work a chess tournament in Maryland. Unfortunately he can't drive at night very well because he gets night blindness. So, I came along to drive him home. I'm hanging out in a lounge for the day. On the bright side, there are comfortable couches and chairs. Normally at these things I'm happy to get a folding chair. There have been a number that there was a shortage of chairs so I was on the floor. They even have wifi so I can be on line. Not bad at all :)

Wooo new camera! What kind? Tell me all :pPhotobucket is really easy to use. I'd go with that. I actually use it so much that I decided to go Pro myself but it is free otherwise.I can help you out if ever you need so let me know :biggrin2:

How great about Elvis! I hope you'll get to meet him soon. Sounds like Becky and Cinderella are doing alright without the blanket. :)

Awww sorry about you getting stuck in the lounge. At least they have wireless :biggrin2:I hope you have a great week!

Nela- The camera is a Kodak Easy Share M550. I love that it has a button on it for sharing the pictures. I'm still figuring out how to use everything, but I started up loading to photobucket last night.

Becky and Cindi are doing so well! I saw them touch noses through the fence and Cindi is all healed. I decided it was time for another date. I put them both in the tub and it was wonderfully unevntful. They were only in there for 5 minutes because I wanted to be sure it ended on a positive note. I'm going to try for 10 minutes tonight.

After the gym I'm going to the pet store to get supplies for Elvis. We have decided to rename him Bond, James Bond. :)

Now how do I get the pictures over here? I can at least post links.

Cindi has cute little pink nose and lips
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/MiniLopHop/100_0005.jpg

Rub a dub dub, two bunnies in the tub
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/MiniLopHop/100_0009.jpg

Andre must supervise of course
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/MiniLopHop/100_0014.jpg

Hey, where did my girlfriend go?
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/MiniLopHop/100_0018.jpg

Heya Brandy :biggrin:Always so happy to see you post. Hehe. Cool, I had looked into that camera as well. Sounds great and easy ;)I think you did great with Cindi and Becky in the tub. I agree that it's important to end on a positive note. They likely won't be so scared of each other the next time and you'll probably catch them interacting more and more. The real question comes when reintroducing them to not so neutral territory. Hehehe.

As for the pictures, awesome. :biggrin2:Oh and to post them directly in your blog, just copy and paste the IMG code. You can find it under the pictures in your photobucket. When you paste it here, it will stay like code but if you preview or post, it will convert and then the pictures will be directly linked here so you'll see the pics in the blog. :biggrin:

I need to get more pictures uploaded, but that is my major plan for the weekend. At least I am getting the shots when they happen now :)

Excellent news on the bonding front. Last night I put them into a laundry basket in the livingroom. We watched tv but I could still keep an eye on them. They were together for 3 hours with no fighting! There were a couple minor nips, but nothing that even needed the spray bottle. By the end of the time Cindi had her head tucked under Becky's belly, just snuggled there. There were gunshots on tv and becky turned her head in to snuggle with Cindi too, it was so cute. Luckily I got a picture of it. :biggrin2:

I think this is excellent progress. We are going to do the same thing tonight. Then we will see how they do in a play pen in neutral territory most of the day on Saturday. Given the length of time I will have a litter box, hay, and water.

If they do well on Saturday would the next step be putting them together in non-neutral territory? What is the best way to do that? Cindi is more of a snuggler and more afraid of everything. I think Becky is the dominate, but it's hard to tell because no one is humping or grooming. Do they need to do that before I try something as drastic as home turf? :?

Bonding bunnies is more complex than I gave it credit for, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. I want to have the girls well bonded before I figure out what to do with Bond (aka, Elvis). That will be a whole new kettle of fish. :pullhair:

I'm spending the day in the kitchen being a bunny refaree. :panic:

I set up a play pen with litter, food, water, hay, couple of toys. The buns just sit at opposite sides staring at eachother. :shock:

It has been almost 5 hours now. The one time I had the guts to leave them alone came to blows. :boxing

I was out of the room 30 seconds to go to the bathroom. I heard them scuffling. I come stumbling back into the kitchen- pants and under wear around my ankles, to break up the fight. :run:

It wasn't major, but I swear they are acting just like little kids. Mom is out of sight so lets start a fight. :stikpoke

At least no one got hurt, no scratches. Back to staring. :shock:

I am finally getting the hang of posting pictures I think. Here are some from the last few days of bonding.

Andre hiding in Cindi's box, you can just see his tail.
100_0002.jpg

Cindi's side of the room
100_0001.jpg

Becky's side of the room
100_0022.jpg

Andre has a thing for hay
100_0020.jpg

100_0033.jpg

Greens!
100_0025.jpg

Baily having dinner
100_0035.jpg

Are you sure you know what you are doing?
100_0037.jpg

I think not!
100_0042.jpg

Have to tak a picture of me if you are of her!
100_0045.jpg

More photos!
Becky close up
100_0072.jpg

Cindi close up
100_0071.jpg

Bunnies in a box
100_0074.jpg

100_0070.jpg

Andre supervising
100_0069.jpg

Cindi with banana head
100_0064.jpg

WWCF (world wrestling cat federation)
100_0057.jpg

100_0056.jpg

Bunnies in a basket
100_0054.jpg

100_0053.jpg

100_0052.jpg

100_0047.jpg

You know it is going to be "one of thoes days" when you get to work and something is poking your bottom. I went into the bathroom to investigate, and there was a piece of hay in my underwear. How did it get there!?! :p

I was traumatised at the grocery store yesterday. I love where we go because they have everything you could possibly want and more. It has a lot of organic and local choices. Joshua and I were just tootling along checking stuff out and then it happened. I glanced over at the meat cooler and there was a rabbit! It was horrible. It looked just like Becky but without a head or fur. Same size and sitting like she does. It happened yesterday and I still feel sick. I knew there were meat breeders out there, but it's easier to stomach when you can't see it. I'm never going back to that meat section again. I'm thinking of going vegetarian.

Love the photos!

I've been an on and off again vegitarian since the 6th grade! Now I have finally stuck to it with no problems..I don't even crave it!

I was a vegetarian for about 5 years when I was in college. Then I started to have some health issues. Now I know that I have to get B12 shots even if I do eat meat, so I have been flirting with the idea of returning to it. My husband is a huge meat eater though which makes it more difficult. I normally have chicken or some kind of meat for most dinners. I have given up cow milk for other reasons. I still enjoy goat or sheep cheese though.

Back