Anderson Family Zoo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
This is my first blog. We have so many adventures at our house that there is always a story to tell and my co-workers, who are not "pet people", are starting to get a glazed over look in their eyes. Introductions first: Rebecca Lynn is the new resident princess who has already made me her slave. She was my birthday present on Monday and in one week I have become obsessed with all things bunny. Becky came from the local SPCA already spayed and litter box trained. She is a brown and white mini lop with such a sweet personality.

The cats are Andre Pascal, Victoria Elizabeth, and Black Cat. I believe in middle names for pets so they know when they are in trouble. Andre is already infatuated with Becky. He is a 2 year old Turkish Angora that was tossed by his breeder when they found out he had a heart murmur. He is quite a lover not a fighter. Victoria is a 9 year old Tortise Shell that was a stray until her and a litter of kittens showed up in a shelter, all very ill. The kittens did not make it but they were able to save her. She is feisty with a few quirks from being on the streets. Black Cat is a 14 year old black cat that we inherited with my husband's grandmother died earlier this year. She is adjusting to being an indoor only cat but she does not like the other two cats. Luckily it is only hissing when paths cross and not fighting. Victoria acts as Andre's body guard where Black Cat is concerned.

Barnum and Baily are 9-month-old gerbils. Barnum is aguti and Baily is cream. They came from a neglect/abuse situation. There were 15 gerbils being kept in a cage and breeding at random for use as snake food. I got them through Luna's House, which is a great small animal rescue in Maryland. Yes, we drove 4 hours to get gerbils.

Kate and Leopold are 15 year old three-toed turtles. Their previous owner died and her children didn't want the turtles. They were neglected for a while but then given up to a reptile rescue, which is where I found them. I was only looking for a single, but they are so in love I couldn't split them up. They follow each other around their house and have an active love life. If only people were so dedicated.

We have 9 zebra finches that add happy beeping to our home. They are the result of accidental breeding in genetically unsuitable mates (I think they are inbred). One of the siblings was blind but we lost him early on. They love to do everything together. One decides to take a bath, and before you know it there are 9 dripping and preening birdies sitting in a row. There are only two males, Frank and Alvin. They get pestered a lot by the girls who all apparently want a date.

Kermit is a dwarf African frog that lives in our community fish tank. I never see him eat but he's so pudgy he obviously gets food somewhere. Also in the community tank are neon tetras, zebra dinos, and lots of guppies. If anyone in the Philly area reads this and wants some guppies, let me know. The smaller fish tank has bleeding heart tetras. I grow live plants in the tanks to keep things interesting. The fish are the only non-rescued pets we have.

Last, but not least, is my wonderfully indulgent husband, Joshua. He likes animals but probably would not have created a zoo. He does enjoy watching all their antics with me. We live in Paoli, PA which is a suburb of Philadelphia. :D

hehe hey I have gone a lot farther for gerbils! our foundation came from saskatoon(min 3 hour drive) and we have 4 from Europe and 1 from Quebec, with plans to get a bunch from Poland :p

now we need pics!

How cool! How do you know there are gerbils in Poland that need rescued? It seems like it would be hard to find out, but that would be neat to have an international pet.

oh the Poland ones are not rescues, they are Rex, a new muation, not yet released as trials are still being done to ensure health. we are working with some Rex breeders in Poland to join the Rex project and bring it to north america. until the mutation is cleared for release, they would not leave our clan.

That is still really cool. I would love to see pictures. I'm trying to get pictures posted of all of our pets, should be here shortly.

After reading my bunny book and an internet search, I think Rebecca is a Chestnut Agouti. Let me know what you think. The pictures make her look more gray, but I think she is more brown.

14135_261409_450000000.jpg

Here is butter bowling:
14135_261409_450000003.jpg

Andre checking in:
14135_261409_450000001.jpg

The gerbils:
14135_261612_340000000.jpg

Andre supervising the gerblis:
14135_261612_340000003.jpg

Turtles visiting Santa:
14135_261427_420000000.jpg

you won't see my eyes glazing over, I think your blog is amazing. I laughed so hard at the middle name thing ;) I'd love to see more pics.

Normally I split the cleaning chores between Saturday and Sunday. However, since yesterday was Christmas I gave myself the day off. Today I spent a good part of the day elbow deep in poop of one kind or another. It gave me the chance to reflect on and observe my pet's reactions to having their homes invaded by the cleaning elf.

Man, I had a whole long thing and observations written out and just the first paragraph posted! Gerrrr.... anyway.... The animals all react differntly to the cleaning, but the one thread that runs between the differnt species is joy. Unappologetic rejoicing over being cared for. They run around and check things out. There are new goodies to eat and nests to be made. The birds line up and all take a bath, sometimes 4 in the tub at once like a clown car. They revel in the small things. It is such a privaledge to be alowed to share their lives and to contribute to this happiness. I feel so blessed to be able to love them and be loved in return.

Oh the weather outside is frightful.... but it gives me a free day off work! Yipee! We tried to sleep in this morning since Joshua and I both have the day off due to the snow. Apparently that offended Becky because it made her breakfast late. She tossed all of her litter out of the pan so now I need to clean the whole cage. What a naughty little bunny. She will also tell me off (thump her back legs) If I shut her door, not that she comes out of her house, she just wants the option at all times. I think I'm going to get the attachable play pen so she can come out with more containment whenever she wants. I'm just not comfortable letting her roam the house yet without watching her. This morning she was sitting up sniffing the air. Apparently she smelled something interesting because she stretched to get more. The problem is she went backwards too far and flopped herself over. She hopped up and looked around as if to say "I meant to do that!" LOL bunnies have that same pride streak as the cats, can't stand to have anyone laugh at them.
Yesterday everyone was quieter and hunkered down for the storm, today they are more hyper from the rest. The birds are singing extra loud and the cats are ripping around like their batteries are over flowing. Only the gerbils are staying in bed today, they decided to nest in the eggo box. It was hard work ripping up the klenex and hauling the hay so they are getting in a well deserved rest.
Joshua and I are spending our bonus day cleaning. His dad may be visiting early January for the first time. Family is great, but why does it make me so anxious to have everything perfect? I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of all the cat hair and little bits of flung seed or hay. Oh well, we can only do so much since this is the pet's home too. I'm certainly not going to lock them away so I can get everything spotless. I have certain friends, mostly cat owners, that will only allow their pets into part of the home so the rest can be fur free. I just can't do it, it seems sad to me. How different is that from keeping a dog on a chain? Why would you have a pet if you don't welcome them into the family like a child? Perhaps it is because I don't really see much differnce between my pets and children other than the pets don't need a college fund.

Can a pet be confused with their species orintation? Andre has started to eat hay, which he subsequently barffs back up onto the rugs, and scratch at the cardboard boxes put out for Rebecca to play with. Is he tired of being a cat or just jealous at how fabulous it is to be a bunny?

Thank you, I'm so excited to be able to share the stories and thoughts with animal people.
Everyone has calmed down from this morning's running around and it is nap time. Rebecca is in her house with a cat on top of the cage and the other laying on the floor by it. I never would have guessed they would become such friends.
I trimmed her nails for the first time the other day. She was so good once I rolled her onto her back, just layed there so I could clip. Now I read about cleaning the scent glands. UUGGG! She doesn't smell bad so I'm thinking I will let that task go until she gets her check up in the beginning of January. One of the perks to taking them in, right? I just have a feeling they have never been cleaned so it will be bad but perhaps not. What I was amazed by was that her feet smell like hay! I don't know what I expected, but that is so cute! The tiny little tuffts of hair between her toes and smelling so sweet, just makes me want to eat her up (not literally of course).

JadeIcing, that is good to know. Hopefully she falls into that category.
When you wash bunny blankets can you use normal detergent or is it better to use unscented? Since she tossed all of her litter out of her litter box this morning I wanted to clean it all up. She has fresh bedding, hay, and blankie. I have also learned the lesson of not letting the bun wait for breakfast. :wink

well, apparently even if breakfast is not late she likes to toss everything around her house. She even peed in her food dish! Becky was a bad bunny. I have noticed that she gets mad when I close the door, even if it has been open for hours and she never came out. Apparently it is the choice that is important. When I get paid on Friday I am giong to get the connecting play pen so she can have her door open all the time. When we are home she has free run of the bedroom and hall. Nights and when we are gone she has to stay in her house. She has started to hop up on the first level shelf, so at least she is using more of her house. There are 4 levels in total, but I don't think she likes heights.
I think I'm going to put the grate over the litter in the litter box for now. Perviously I didn't want any bars to hurt her feet, but now I am thining since the rest of the floor is solid she will be ok. Perhaps it will keep her from tossing it all around in a fit. I refuse to get up at the crack of dawn for her amusement. It's a good thing she is so cute.

I am loved! I got my first bunny kisses tonight. I think she knew I was frustrated cleaning out the whole cage the second night in a row. I just put her cleaned and now grated litter box back in her house. She came hopping over from the other side of the room right up into my lap and licked my knee! I stroked her forehead and behind her ears until she hopped back to playing with the toys. I think it was her way of appologizing for the mess. I added more tossable toys so perhaps she will throw them around tomorrow morning.
Over the Christmas holiday I won a contest for another blog I read "careers for cats". The book and cat toys came today. I am loving the book, each cat has a toy, and Becky liked the box. She turned it up side down and used it to stand on. Perhaps being taller made her feel powerful? She would hop on the box and then go charging after a cat. Andre will run and then turn around and chase Becky back. Victoria just runs away. I think Victoria is actually afraid of the rabbit and tries to spend as much time as possible on the bed to avoid too much face to face contact.
At the moment Becky is dragging a paper towel roll filled with hay across the floor. I think she wants to take it to her cave, but it is bigger than she is! LOL for 4.5 pounds she has spunk! Don't let the cute floppy ears fool you.

Latest posts

Back