And then there were Four

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is never enough of me.

Finally, I had to go out tonite, but the firstthing I did when I got home was check my email. You didn'tdisappoint me. They are so cute, Thanks Wallace itwas worth the wait. Good luck tomorrow Sunset, I will be waiting foryour Daddy to give me a full report.

Nite Wallace

Susan:bunnydance:

Sunset's spay went without a hitch and she'sresting comfortably back home. The vet tech said that she was veryfriendly and was easy to work with. I still don't have a clue what herbreed is but she weighed in at 4 lbs. 4 lbs? That would mean that sheis only a pound or two lighter than Smokey.

I was very relieved to hear that she wasn't carrying any kits when theyopened her up. It was tough making the decision to have them abortedshould they be found but I was looking at what was best for Sunset andmyself. There was just no way that I could care for a litter of kittenson top of 4 growing bunnies. I'm just glad that my decision was arelatively empty one.

Anyway, Sunset also had a physical exam prior to the surgery and passedwith flying colors. I'm very happy that she's back and I'm lookingforward to finally giving her some real play time. For now, I have torestrain myself from fussing over her while she rests.

Wallace

Glad all is well! :bunnydance:You got her home and I got Elvis.

I haven't seen her eat or drink anything yet butshe's tired and wanting to rest after the surgery. I made sure she hadplenty to eat and drink so she should be fine. I can tell she'ssomewhat groggy because when I was petting her head she didn't push upagainst my hand like she normally does.

I just have to keep things quiet for a few days and she should be fine. Two down, two to go...hehe.

I'm glad you've got Elvis back, Alicia. How's he doing?

Wallace

I temporarily moved Sunset back to my bedroom sothat she have some relative peace and quiet to rest. The movements ofthe other bunnies kept waking her up. I'll probably keep her back withme for a few days until she's feeling better and then return her to theliving room.

Sunrise is doing well. He's lounging, eating, drinking, and doing othernormal rabbit stuff and accepting lots of pets from me. I haven'tstarted litter box training him yet because I want to wait until afterhis neuter. I'm dying to give him his own house but it takes up toomuch space in the cage he's in at the moment. So does the corner litterbox so that will have to wait until I can move into a cage like Speedyand Smokey's.

Speedy and Smokey know something's going on but they don't know whatyet. Speedy's been doing a Bunny 250 in her cage ever since I got home.She jumps up on her house, chews the cage bars, and then jumps backdown to repeat. It's actually quite fun to watch. Smokey has been busytrying to sniff Sunrise through her cage bars since I moved their cagesnext to each other.

I'll be glad once all the spays and neuters get done so I can restartthe litter box training. Once that's underway, then I can work onbonding all the babies to each other and coming up with a groupaccomodation plan that will work.

Of course, most of this is still theoretical...hehe.

Wallace

Sunset's starting to move around and even eat alittle judging from the poops I found when I decided to give her alittle out time. I probably shouldn't do that because of her recentsurgery but I can tell that she appreciated it and she knows how muchshe can do right now.

Sunset and Speedy aren't getting along right now. I think it's becauseSpeedy feels that she's being challenged so far as who's the top bunaround here. Personally, I think it's moot because that's me butthey're rabbits and that's what they do....hehe.

Sunrise is using his house and litterbox more and more. He probablyfeels more like a real rabbit by being able to use a hiding placeinstead of being out in the open. He loves sitting on top of his houseand surveying his surroundings. Surveying, yes, coming out, no. Heappears perfectly content to stay in his cage and watch what's goingon. I'd love for him to come out and play but I don't want to force itright now. As long as he's happy, I'm happy.

Smokey is somewhat of an enigma right now. She hasn't been aggressivetoward anyone so far and seems to make herself available for nosesniffs and other greetings. I think there's a real potential for herand Sunset to be friends.

Speedy, well what can I say? She's the top of the bunny heap and nowshe has competition. She's fine as long as Sunset isn't near her cage.But when Sunset is near, Speedy will gnaw away at the bars, throwherself at them, and do anything she can to bite the other rabbit. Isure hope this is a temporary thing because I'd love for all my bunniesto get along.

Wallace

Tonight, I have some good news and somenot-so-good news. The NSG news is that due to a mistake on my part ofletting Speedy and Sunset out at the same time to play, they got into afight and Speedy took an ugly bite from Sunset that I'm afraid willmean her going to the Vet to have it looked at. I took a bite as wellbut it's nothing serious.

On the other hand, since Sunset is now spayed, I'm able to move her andSunrise back into one cage together. Since they came to me together, itseems right that they should live together. They're having a minorgrunting argument right now, but they're getting along quite well.Sunrise was even grooming her ears earlier tonight. If things shouldget out of hand, I will of course, separate them but I think that won'tbe necessary. I'm going to have to get a bigger dog crate down the roadthough to give them more space.

Speedy is resting in her cage. She's not grinding her teeth and she'sas lively as ever, but I'm making that Vet appointment first thing inthe morning.

Smokey is sitting on top of her house watching the exchange betweenSunrise and Sunset. It's probably very entertaining to her since shedoesn't seem to want to be the center of attention.

That's all I have for now. I'll get pictures of the happy (heh)couple soon.

Wallace

Speedy saw theVet today and afterchecking the wound, decided that it wasn't as bad as it appeared andswabbed it out with kind ofsolution before giving me oralantibiotics to give her twice a day after a little yogurt. She feltthat it was good as a precaution.

Syringing a rabbit. Poor Speedy hates my guts right now because Daddyput that stuff in her mouth. She actually bared her teeth at me when Iwas trying to introduce her to strawberry yogurt. I managed to get somein her (I don't force feeding) so at least she now knows what yogurttastes like. Unfortunately, she may now associate it as somethingnon-treat-like.

Speedy doesn't fight the syringe; she just stops swallowing and lets itrun down her cheeks to get all over me. Poor thing doesn't realize thatI'm doing this to keep her healthy. It may take a lot of craisins toget me back into her good graces...hehe

In other news, I took some NIC panels that I wasn't doing anything withand made a run for Sunrise and Sunset. That way they can play and I canget other things done. It's detachable so they can still potentiallyrun around the living room. I'm just trying to cut down on theprobability of fights breaking out at the wrong times.

Wallace

The NIC run only lasted for a couple hours atbest before I took it down. All the bunnies are back to being able torun around as they see fit. I also had to separate Sunrise and Sunsetbecause the boy was just driving her nuts trying to hump her in thecage and since he's going in for a neuter next month and is going toneed some down time afterward, it made sense to me to go ahead andseparate him now.

Speedy is not happy with me right now because of me feeding her yogurtand then her antibiotics. She's not very eager to try new things whichmakes it difficult to medicate her. But I persevere and do a lot oflaundry...hehe.

Smokey is well Smokey. She's been very well behaved but low key,preferring to do her thing and not be bothered. She's gotten better attaking pets but is still tentative about anything more.

Wallace

Okay first off, my mom went through heroperation fine and I've been told that she should be going back homevery soon. It's a big relief to my mind and I'm continuing with makingplans to go visit her sometime in the Spring. I'm fighting off a nastycold right now and it's definitely affected my mood.

Speedy is not happy with me over the yogurt eating and medicine taking.In fact, earlier tonight, she kicked while I was loading up the syringeand a good portion ended up on me and her fur. It took me quite awhilebrushing it out of her fur. Otherwise, her wound ishealing nicely and she's in excellent spirits. She still doesn't getalong with Sunset though. At the moment she working on conquering herfear of the hardwood floor by running around behind the cages. I thinkshe uses the opportunity to tease Sunset.....hehe.

Smokey is a little darling although she was a little miffed with meearlier when I had to raise my voice with Sunset and started thumpingup a storm. However, once I gave her some craisins and some play time,she was her happy little playful self again. I swear she gets prettierevery day.

Sunrise is doing well, eating and whatnot. In fact, he's probably themost mellow and introspective rabbit I've ever known. As long asthere's food and water, he's happy as a clam hanging out in his cage.In fact, he hardly ever comes out to play. I offer him plenty ofopportunities, but he just flops down and rests while looking at theopen cage door.

Sunsetexhibited a few bad habits that I had hoped I wouldn'tsee. The first was when she started dragging her litter box all aroundthe cage. She started doing it when Speedy would run past the cornerwhere the box was located. I had to punch a few holes in it and securein place with zipties. The next bad habit she exhibited was partly myfault. She got somewhat cage aggressive when I tried to play a gamethat I used to do with my cat when I was a kid at home. Well, Sunsetdidn't like my hands moving quickly back and forth across her carpetand she lunged at me. It's hard to respond to a negative behavior whenyou instigated it. Even though I was wrong, I still had to press herhead down and say no. She was upset over that but a handful of craisinsput me back in her good graces.

Right now, the bunnies are watching The Hulk on SciFi and snacking onhay. It's actually quite amusing to watch them following the action onthe screen.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a science report. I have a tendency to write things like this using that voice.

Wallace

Today is not one of my favorite Sundays becauseI'm still fighting off this cold I have. I feel better but not by much.Then I got grumpy with my sister over text messaging because she sentme a message that I found irritating.

Anyway, enough about me. Here's the latest on the babies:

Speedy finished off her medicine and is gratefully enjoying not havingDaddy shove stuff down her throat. I checked her wound last night and Icould barely find it. Otherwise, she's her normal feisty self and Icount that as a positive.

Smokey is, well there's nothing new going on with her, doing very well.Nothing seems to touch her these days. No medical problems, no behaviorout of whack to content with. She's just a sweet normal bunny.

Sunrise got his nails clipped by me today and believe me when I saythat neither of us particularly enjoyed the task. He fought me everystep of the way, but in the end his nails were trimmed down to a properlength and he got some craisins and play time as a reward.

Sunset has been relatively quiet today, watching the world go by in thecomfort of her well-appointed dog crate. She's starting toget used to Speedy running past her cage which explains the slowdecrease in grunting and throwing herself against the crate bars.

Anyway, that's it for today. Enjoy. :D

Wallace

Hi Wallace, Sorry about your cold andI hope that you get to feeling better soon.I justwanted to tell you how much I have been enjoying your stories aboutyour babies.I have 2 larger older rabbit and I knowhow much work they are so with 4 you have got your handsfull!!

My babies are about 5 or 6 years old. They were given to meso I do not know their actual age. I suspect that they wereabout 6 months or so whenI got them. I also suspectthat they were throw away bunnies from Easter. I have learneda lot from them and they are so sweet. I guess you can tellthatI love them. I got so tickled when you weretalking about one of your new buns being so big and then it weighed 4lbs. My Trixie weighs 9.5 lbs and Trouble weighs 8.5lbs. They were much smaller than that when I gotthem,I didn't realize that they would get so big.Oh well, more bunny to cuddle with. Thanks forsharing. Beckie, Trouble and Trixie

Thanks 2bunmom for the kind words. I usually get about 2 colds per year and I had one earlier on so I guess I was due...hehe.

Yeah, four buns definitely keep me busy around here and each has theirown separate and distinct personality. Speedy is the bossy one who isalways trying to get her own way with the others. Smokey is the sweetsensitive one who wants to make friends with everyone. Sunrise is themellow one who loves to play but sometimes needs a little push to getstarted. And of course, Sunset is the one who loves to throw her weightaround, figuratively and literally. I still have a hard time believingthat she's only 4 pounds.

I love em all and everything I do for them is totally worth the effort.

Wallace

Glad your mom is good!!!:):bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back